Sponsored

Rusting welds

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Interesting...I previously inquired whether or not any other new JL owners were going have their new JLs rustproofed. Most comments were that it was unnecessary because they were factory rust-proofed. So if true, where is the factory rustproofing done on the line...before or after the body is welded together?
Extra rust proofing is different than having to repair shoddy work. I am more concerned that the funky looking welding is not gonna hold up, A welder in another thread felt it was all pub par.

We knew getting into this Jeep is a legendary 2 star quality production, and it takes work to stay at the bottom of quality year in and tear out, but there is a line at somepoint.

There is no I can order a vehicle from these guys, I will have to inspect mine like its used, crawl under, inspect all surface and mechanical operation, then count on warranty for drive train and electronics.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
6E0F70F8-B783-43F7-B68A-9B60903122E1.jpeg

Received my JLUS on Jan 31st and already has rust spots on the front bumper hooks. Has only been 2 months. Wtf? And I had undercarriage rustproofed by Ziebart as well. Dealer said they’ll paint them. Do I have a case to have them fully replaced? To my understanding whether they are painted or not they will just continue to just beneath the paint and get worse.
Painting over rust does not really work, if it was 20 years old, and you were saving money a spray over to get a couple more years out of it. If I had bought that used and was restoring, I would replace or strip completely and repaint... that rust in picture looks more than a little spot that chipped and rusted. IT appears like its rusted under it and painted over, but I cant tell for sure from picture.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Going to have to try some P.O.R 15 on some of this rusty frame problems

darylkeys

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler TJ Sahara & 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Vehicle Showcase
Heres a pic from me. Fahhhkkk I was hoping to look under there and not find anything. This was the only one "of concern" though.
jeep rust.jpg

Sponsored

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Heres a pic from me. Fahhhkkk I was hoping to look under there and not find anything. This was the only one "of concern" though.
jeep rust.jpg

Dhaummmm. That’s a horrible looking weld. Looks like a ball of old rusted steel wool instead of a weld.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'm getting really bummed out. I'm test driving my first JL tonight, finally. I might as well peek at the frame. Why can't they build these things properly?

So is there a consensus? All JL's have factory rust, weld, and frame problems? Future warranty work, such as Tacomas of old?

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
I have yet to hear of a person that has actually inspected their frame and not seen any rusted welds. Whether it affects long term structural integrity of the frame, that's anyone's guess. Being somewhere that there's a lot of salt on the roads in the winter, I absolutely have to roll under my Rubi and take a wire brush to clean the rust and the paint over the welds.

I can understand how, given the location of the factory, the parts not painted over are rusting. I cannot understand why there are so many areas missing paint though. What are they doing that the paint isn't holding?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
6E0F70F8-B783-43F7-B68A-9B60903122E1.jpeg

Received my JLUS on Jan 31st and already has rust spots on the front bumper hooks. Has only been 2 months. Wtf? And I had undercarriage rustproofed by Ziebart as well. Dealer said they’ll paint them. Do I have a case to have them fully replaced? To my understanding whether they are painted or not they will just continue to just beneath the paint and get worse.

3AA905CF-ADE7-42E5-956E-67891EFE012B.jpeg
Not as long as they sand and prep them properly.

quite98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I can understand how, given the location of the factory, the parts not painted over are rusting. I cannot understand why there are so many areas missing paint though. What are they doing that the paint isn't holding?
Missing paint on Wrangler frames is nothing new. I refused delivery of a 2016 JK that had both large areas of missing e-coat on the frame and deep gouges/rust forming where the frame had been incorrectly transported.

Daryl's picture above is pretty appalling though. Nobody should have to be touching up or performing significant rust repair on the frame of a new vehicle.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
jeep rust.jpg
Are you going to take it to the dealer? To my lay eyes, that does not look good. If you do take it back, please keep us posted on what they say/what they do.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
is anyone reporting these issues to them...

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If the welds are rusting...this means that welds are done after the chassis parts are dipped into the rustproofing. I always thought that the dip is the last action before the vehicle assembly is begun.

darylkeys

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler TJ Sahara & 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon!
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to take it to the dealer? To my lay eyes, that does not look good. If you do take it back, please keep us posted on what they say/what they do.
Hell yes I am going to take it back to the dealer. Probably on Weds. Will keep you all updated as I just saw it this afternoon.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Porous welds, rusted welds......

This does not go over very "welld" with me.
Sponsored