First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
no codes.
how would you check this?
One thing you said though was that the temp goes up while idling in the driveway. So that means its not related to airflow while moving (winch location or the rake measurement above).

I don't think they are related and just a wild coincidence. It could that something was starting to fail and the tech nudged it enough to push it over. But the winch itself I don't think is causing the issue.

If coolant level is good, fans are running (fans are running right? He didn't accidentally unplug the fans?) and there are no leaks, my next suspicion would be thermostat.
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
One thing you said though was that the temp goes up while idling in the driveway. So that means its not related to airflow while moving (winch location or the rake measurement above).

I don't think they are related and just a wild coincidence. It could that something was starting to fail and the tech nudged it enough to push it over. But the winch itself I don't think is causing the issue.

If coolant level is good, fans are running (fans are running right? He didn't accidentally unplug the fans?) and there are no leaks, my next suspicion would be thermostat.
Good point about the idle temp. Some part on the verge of failure is what my guess would be, then.

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
since we are discussing fans - when i drove it home from the shop i let it sit in the garage for a few hours. then i fired it to warm it up and went back in the house.
the fan was screaming could hear it throughout the house and i came back out to make sure i hadn’t accidentally hit the tazer COOL setting.
it has never done that before. i didn’t mention it before because i wasn’t sure it was me imagining things.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
The winch does cover a large amount of air flow to the lower 1/3 of the radiator/condenser
Jeep Wrangler JL running hotter after winch install? 4DEE8762-E116-4617-BCF7-8A89CB1DB54E
Jeep Wrangler JL running hotter after winch install? 4DEE8762-E116-4617-BCF7-8A89CB1DB54E
That's a little deceiving as the bumper covers 80-90 percent of the winch. Even without a winch in place, the lower 1/3 of the radiator is completely blocked with the stock steel bumper. With the winch in place there is ample room for air circulation at idle and under power. If the radiator was completely blocked it could cause an issue but that doesn't seem to be the case. Remember, our steel bumpers are designed to have a winch placed in that cavity-infront of the radiator at that specific location. From the OP's original photo it appears to be a Warn Evo which has a normal footprint and is properly centered.

There is a very good chance the thermostat is the culprit here. Especially with the fluctuating temperatures.

If it were me, I would first check with the installer and then investigate the thermostat and surrounding wiring connections.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
UPDATE:
i'm observing temp fluctuations regardless of speed. it shows 195-215-205-220-197 within a few minutes.

this morning it actually stuck to 195-206 which is in the realm of normality but the moment I stopped it in a parking lot it started steadily climbing 212-215-217-220 before i shut it off.

i am swinging by the shop today so they can look at it and will revert.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I wonder if something got reset in the adaptations causing the cooling fan profiles to change since the battery would have probably been disconnected for a good amount of time when it was installed?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
i'm observing temp fluctuations regardless of speed. it shows 195-215-205-220-197 within a few minutes.

this morning it actually stuck to 195-206 which is in the realm of normality but the moment I stopped it in a parking lot it started steadily climbing 212-215-217-220 before i shut it off.

i am swinging by the shop today so they can look at it and will revert.
Is your cooling fan kicking on full blast when this is going on ?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i checked this morning. i do not hear it.
I don’t think you’re actually overheating, I think it’s a electrical issue. Try doing a reboot. Take the negative cable off, and take it apart so to kill both batteries for 5 minutes and put back on start the Jeep and see if anything changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
electrical issue as in the sensor is registering the wrong temp or some wire got jostled on install?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think you’re actually overheating, I think it’s a electrical issue.
electrical issue as in the sensor is registering the wrong temp or some wire got jostled on install?
Not sure without being hands on, the way it’s fluctuating , there’s no way the temperature will change that fast. Try reboot I mentioned above.

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Not sure without being hands on, the way it’s fluctuating , there’s no way the temperature will change that fast. Try reboot I mentioned above.
reboot as in pull the negative?

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
i will reboot when i go home, after the shop has looked at it, and revert.
thank you!
Sponsored