Sponsored

Rubicon owners running 35" tires.

inb4ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I drove 2,000 miles through Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. I got 17.1 mpg on that trip and I have somewhat of a heavy foot. I was averaging 18.5ish before going to 35s in Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, thanks for replying. I should have been more specific on my question. I don’t really care about mpg. I was asking about how much do you feel the 35 s affect acceleration and passing. How noticeable is the difference vs 33s?
Sorry, I think I misunderstood. Not much difference. I tow with mine, too, and it does just fine. I only drove about 700 miles stock, though. Also, the engine is broken in and revs a little more freely, so that minimizes the difference a little. I'd have to drive them back to back to really tell. It feels great with the 35's. In first and second gear (manual), I don't think I can tell a difference, at all. Hope that helps a little.

Rickg667

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 62 CJ-5, 54 m38a1, 52 m38a1c
For those Rubicon owners with the V6 engine who have changed to 35" tires, how has it affected your gas mileage?
Running 37s lost a few mpg, but have the 8 speed... definitely does not drag like my jku

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Hi, I currently have a Rubicon JL no lift yet, automatic, running 35" BFG MT KO3`S and a AFE Cold air intake and my gas mileage isn't all that good.
I would say between 16-18 mpg highway driving 60-65mph
My last Jeep was a JK Unlimited Oscar Mike with a automatic running BGF AT KO2`s and 3:73 gears. K & n cold air intake. This setup actually got me into the 20 mpg range doing the same driving
Beginning to not worry about mpg`s any more

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

Sponsored

HookR4

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2018 JLU Rubicon
We have the 2018 JLU Rubicon with 35s. Went to Arizona and back to Michigan average mileage was about 19.7 MPG. Guess it depends on where you drive and what you do. This included about 12 hours of trails and rock climbing.

IMG_20180728_183636_758.jpg

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
This may or may not help..

Running 37 inch tires.. (77lbs) and 17x9 wheels (27lbs) and I’m getting around 15.5mpg.. got close to 18mpg on my way back from st Augustine fl to augusta ga..

Got around 17-20mpg on my stocks

OP
OP
kellyc33

kellyc33

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon, Subaru Outback
I have the Rubicon, I'm getting 16ish with the Mopar lift and 35s. Before that I was getting 19ish. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, Wranglers have never been associated with great fuel mileage.
Are you using the factory rims or did you buy new ones? The reason I ask is that some say the factory rims rub the front shocks at full articulation with the 35" tires. I too want the 2" Mopar lift with 35's but am unsure on the wheels.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using the factory rims or did you buy new ones? The reason I ask is that some say the factory rims rub the front shocks at full articulation with the 35" tires. I too want the 2" Mopar lift with 35's but am unsure on the wheels.
I've got factory rims and 35" KO2's. No rub, at all. I never saw rubbing before the lift, either, although I believe it would have rubbed on the rear fender liner, but not terribly, and it could be cut or pushed inward to eliminate it. With the lift, it isn't even close. Do note, however, I've got a Rubicon, and the axles are said to be slightly wider. If you are running a non-Rubicon, then my experience may not be the same as with a Sport or Sahara.

OP
OP
kellyc33

kellyc33

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon, Subaru Outback
I've got factory rims and 35" KO2's. No rub, at all. I never saw rubbing before the lift, either, although I believe it would have rubbed on the rear fender liner, but not terribly, and it could be cut or pushed inward to eliminate it. With the lift, it isn't even close. Do note, however, I've got a Rubicon, and the axles are said to be slightly wider. If you are running a non-Rubicon, then my experience may not be the same as with a Sport or Sahara.
Thanks for the reply. I too have the Rubicon and I'm glad I don't need new wheels for the 35 KO2's. In the August edition of JP Magazine (page 78) the writer claims that with the 2" Mopar lift, 35's will rub the front shocks at full articulation. They claim you need a wheel with 4.5"/4.75 back spacing for proper clearance. I called my local Offroad dealer and they weren't sure yet, as the JL lifts they installed so far, have all used after market wheels. Lots of different opinions from people that haven't done it on the web.

JLURnoob

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
SHAP Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I have aftermarket wheels on the Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. I too have the Rubicon and I'm glad I don't need new wheels for the 35 KO2's. In the August edition of JP Magazine (page 78) the writer claims that with the 2" Mopar lift, 35's will rub the front shocks at full articulation. They claim you need a wheel with 4.5"/4.75 back spacing for proper clearance. I called my local Offroad dealer and they weren't sure yet, as the JL lifts they installed so far, have all used after market wheels. Lots of different opinions from people that haven't done it on the web.
I'll try and find a mound or something to articulate the Jeep and take a look, but I took it off road at The Badlands off-road park in Attica, Indiana, and stretched it out real good and saw no issue. Then again, which 35's were they running? I'm running KO2's in 315 size, (identical dimensions to the 35x12.5 version). They may run slightly smaller than some 35's. Maybe they picked one that runs large? I'll check JP. I have that issue laying around somewhere.

Anyway, I never felt, heard or saw evidence of any rub, anywhere, and I stretched it out to the max a couple times. The shocks have no scuffs on them. JP is reputable, though. Did they show a Jeep that they ran, or did they just comment on it? Maybe they guessed or someone told them this and they went with it. Did they say which shock or shocks got the rub?
Sponsored