First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
When the tire pressure is lowered, a 12.5-inch wide tire can easily turn into a 14-inch-wide tire. A larger surface contact patch allows for more tread to grip the dirt or rocks below. When it comes to tire pressure, it does more than adding to the traction of the vehicle, it can also help with the ride quality. A lower tire pressure can make a drive on a washboard road more enjoyable.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When the tire pressure is lowered, a 12.5-inch wide tire can easily turn into a 14-inch-wide tire. A larger surface contact patch allows for more tread to grip the dirt or rocks below. When it comes to tire pressure, it does more than adding to the traction of the vehicle, it can also help with the ride quality. A lower tire pressure can make a drive on a washboard road more enjoyable.
Yep, but not at the top of the tire, where the rub was occuring on the shock in the pic. I doubt it would make much differenc there. At the bottom, yeah, it really flattens out. I'm actually surprised that 5 wasn't worse than in the pic. I'd be scared of damaging the rim from an impact with them anywhere nearly that low.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When the tire pressure is lowered, a 12.5-inch wide tire can easily turn into a 14-inch-wide tire. A larger surface contact patch allows for more tread to grip the dirt or rocks below. When it comes to tire pressure, it does more than adding to the traction of the vehicle, it can also help with the ride quality. A lower tire pressure can make a drive on a washboard road more enjoyable. Also mentioned was by dropping 5psi at a time the sidewall of the tire will increase in width. Rims with narrow wheels will also create a sizable difference in the section width of the tire

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When the tire pressure is lowered, a 12.5-inch wide tire can easily turn into a 14-inch-wide tire. A larger surface contact patch allows for more tread to grip the dirt or rocks below. When it comes to tire pressure, it does more than adding to the traction of the vehicle, it can also help with the ride quality. A lower tire pressure can make a drive on a washboard road more enjoyable. Also mentioned was by dropping 5psi at a time the sidewall of the tire will increase in width. Rims with narrow wheels will also create a sizable difference in the section width of the tire
Yes, all true.. 20 makes a marked difference in ride quality from 30, for sure. I'm sure 15 is even better. But look at that JP picture. The rub is at the top of the tire, not the bottom where the width and flex happens. It keeps its shape and size at the top. The increased section width is only measured at the bottom, by the contact patch.

I'll go to 15 next time I get off road, and I'll flex it out. There has been no rubbing at all on mine, even aired down to 20 and with some mud caked on. I had the sway bar disconnected and was crossing deep ruts one after the other, and reached max flex both ways, with each side flexing fully down and fully up, back and forth (very, very slowly). At one point, I turned the wheels full lock each way to see if they would rub anything. Nothing there. If it rubs at 15, it won't bug me because again, I tend to air down to 20.

Another thing someone could do if they did get some rub at full steering lock/flex, is to limit the steering slightly. I've seen guys do that on JK's frequently. My JK rubbed a little with 33's on the air dam. Fortunately, that just required a little trimming of plastic.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When you air down your tires you actually are creating more of a rim protector=
Now this is low, but it is what he needed to get to where he was going

0654040E-4980-4AC6-96CB-660985A25E44.jpeg

006F1FC0-A54E-4DBC-BC6F-FBAB6DC8714C.jpeg

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you air down your tires you actually are creating more of a rim protector=
Now this is low, but it is what he needed to get to where he was going

0654040E-4980-4AC6-96CB-660985A25E44.jpeg

006F1FC0-A54E-4DBC-BC6F-FBAB6DC8714C.jpeg
Yes, when crawling, but if you hit a hole at some speed, BAM! That rim takes damage. I did that to a steel rim aired down on my old YJ, when running a fairly smooth dirt road at probably 25mph. I didn't see the hole until it was too late. Fortunately, with steel, you can pound it out with a hammer. These nice shiny alloy wheels aren't so forgiving.

That first pic looks like he's running 5 lbs or even less! Wow!

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Best I can figure, I lost about 2 miles, went from 18.5-16.5 most town driving. Before replacing the stock tire with 315's, I averaged 10mpg for half a tank worth of off roading.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Got my new Method' wheels on last week along with 35" Ridge Grapplers. I'm considering not doing any lift......but may add some spacers or a 2" lift if I need to. Been reluctant to lift as we are getting older and it does not get easier to access the cab for many that go along with me on rides.....'specially the ladies. ;).

I've made a few mild trail runs since then and have not had an issue with rubbing. Seem to have fair clearance everywhere I have been. After adding RH steel underbelly soon....I may need to do some lifting due to weight? So far all I have added (bumpers, winch, sliders, etc) are all heavy duty (RH 4x4 stuff)......so at some point I think I may need to lift. But so far so good. Momma is happy.

EDIT: OH......and I am so happy with the Sky one roof. Dust?....no problem to close it up.....clean air?....no problem to open......all in a matter of a minute. Gotta love it.

My mileage dropped a few MPG .....and I now average about 16.5 in mixed driving. The method wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers make a pretty heavy combination......but I do not own this rig as a daily driver. I am satisfied with my choices. I suppose I could coax 19 MPG or so on an Hwy trip (?)......maybe a tad more if I mind myself.....which I dont. :D.

drivers front c.jpg

pass front A.jpg

passenger.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: