OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
If she likes Willys’s red + black look, you should check out Sahara Altitude. It is a very nice package: comes with standard leather, painted hardtop, and tastefully blacked out trim accents.

When you order the Cold Weather Group and the Selec-Trac, you also get M+S rated Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. It is a comfortable, smooth-riding tire that does surprisingly well in snow.

1637949206806.jpeg

1637949548183.jpeg
There's an idea . I will ask my sales rep on Monday to check on a sahara similarly equipped on Monday . Although I prefer the looks of the Willys , a lot more black . To this point her vehicles are red , mine are black . That way I can claim ownership to at least part of it .
Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
Small price to pay for lockers and Dana 44s and swaybar disconnect It will also retain its value

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Yep , but up here in south dakota winter comes back , every year .... She has been driving the tj unlimited for about 18 years . I hope the 2022 is as dependable as the
2004 .
LOL! I just meant it’s easier to have a set of mounted winter tires and another mounted set for the rest of the year.
Here in PA they love to salt the roads…which isn’t really great for aluminum rims.
I currently have BFG KM2s on my 21’ JLU Willys Sport (that’s what mine arrived with) and shall see how they do if we actually get snow this season.

8026FC05-2421-495E-9FAE-E628044326CF.jpeg

0EB781CD-E17D-42B3-8BE8-0FA3A113200E.jpeg

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
If she likes Willys’s red + black look, you should check out Sahara Altitude. It is a very nice package: comes with standard leather, painted hardtop, and tastefully blacked out trim accents.

When you order the Cold Weather Group and the Selec-Trac, you also get M+S rated Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. It is a comfortable, smooth-riding tire that does surprisingly well in snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 0EB781CD-E17D-42B3-8BE8-0FA3A113200E

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 0EB781CD-E17D-42B3-8BE8-0FA3A113200E

This guy does a walk around his 2021 Sahara Altitude
WOW ! Thanks for attaching the video . Wife out black friday shopping . I will show her when she gets home .

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
When will the 2022 Willys with XR be open for order? No 2022 on the website yet.
Folks have been ordering them for a while. The Ordering Guide is here on these forums. That website is very slow to be updated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
LOL! I just meant it’s easier to have a set of mounted winter tires and another mounted set for the rest of the year.
Here in PA they love to salt the roads…which isn’t really great for aluminum rims.
I currently have BFG KM2s on my 21’ JLU Willys Sport (that’s what mine arrived with) and shall see how they do if we actually get snow this season.

8026FC05-2421-495E-9FAE-E628044326CF.jpeg

0EB781CD-E17D-42B3-8BE8-0FA3A113200E.jpeg
Please post how well they preform this winter . Icy roads look like they would be a challenge for this tread pattern . Tires with sipes cut into the tread seem to offer a bit more traction on ice .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
Nice! I live in Sioux Falls. If you want to check out my rubicon sometime, let me know. While the rubicon is overkill to many, the front axle, lockers, and higher fenders individually make up most of the price difference of a Willy’s to Rubicon.

No matter what you get, we could get a meet up lined up in the hills to do some trials. Any Jeep can tackle a lot of the trails out there with a giant smile on your face.
Thanks for the offer , especially since there are no new wranglers on any dealers lots within reasonable driving distances from me .

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Firestone MT2s are not bad in fresh snow. Icy slush is a different story. Most dealers also sell tires. Or you could drive straight to Firestone and trade them for some Destination AT2s or some Destination XTs. Also, BFG KO2 ATs work well in snow. AT tires will be much quieter too.

Since it’s just a fun driving around Jeep, stick with the stock 255/75R17 tire size in no greater than load range C.

Stock Firestone MT2s in fresh powder. Did better than expected.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 303434C3-23EC-4EF1-908A-6847B8040692

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
Wrestling with the same decision. Selling my 21 Willys to Vroom and will make $4k more than I paid new. Looking to order a 22 and trying to decide between Willys and Rubicon. The Willys XR has also provided another ripple, which coincidentally costs about $4k!

A 22 Rubicon (w/ V6, hardtop and LED package) would be about $4,250 more than a 22 Willys spec’d like my previous build (V6, tech, tow, convenience hard top). I never found the Willys to be lacking off road, and have really enjoyed it. I just always felt like I should have gone Rubicon and this market has provided a mulligan with a near even swap.

I really don’t think you can go wrong either way, and the Willys offers a lot of bang for buck. With that said, I have never met anyone that said, Damn I wish I wouldn’t have gotten the Rubicon. I have however seen many say, Damn I wish I would have sprung for the Rubie.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have never met anyone that said, Damn I wish I wouldn’t have gotten the Rubicon. I have however seen many say, Damn I wish I would have sprung for the Rubie.
I’ve owned Rubicons in the past; I don’t own a Rubicon at the moment. However, I do not go about wishing I had gotten one.

Wonder how many feel the same way and simply don’t bother to say it.

BTW, nice to meet you...! 😫

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'd go with the Willys, because of the better on road experiences you'll have with it.

Also because if your aspirations with it change and you want to do more off-roading, lunchbox lockers are available in the aftermarket. Not as good as factory front and rear lockers, but still work all the same. And honestly, like 90% of your off-roading will be done in 2wd. You won't really get into 4-low unless you're doing some really hardcore stuff. You'll use your lockers even less.

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'd go with the Willys, because of the better on road experiences you'll have with it.

Also because if your aspirations with it change and you want to do more off-roading, lunchbox lockers are available in the aftermarket. Not as good as factory front and rear lockers, but still work all the same. And honestly, like 90% of your off-roading will be done in 2wd. You won't really get into 4-low unless you're doing some really hardcore stuff. You'll use your lockers even less.
Curious about the 'on road experience' . I thought the rubicon just had lower gears , a lower geared transfer case , and locking diffs . I must be missing something .

Last edited:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I chose the Rubicon primarily for the wider axles, 4.10 gears and auto 4wd with 4 to 1 low range.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's insane that the MSRP of a 2021 Unlimited Willys is now higher than that of a mostly loaded 2018 Unlimited Rubicon.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I went with the Willy’s not only because it was closer to my budget, but it came with the LSD rear diff. Most of my off roading is wooded trails. I also need it for snow driving in the winter. So lockers did not make sense for me. Now the Firestone MT tires do make some noise, but not enough for me to mind. I definitely think it is tolerable, unless you are looking for no road noise. They do take some time to “break in”, in that they do feel somewhat sloppy for the first few hundred miles (like the vehicle wants to wander). After that break in, they are completely daily drivable. They do have siping build into the mud lugs, so they actually do fine in the snow. For reference, my GTO with working LSD, snow tires, and sandbags in the trunk, would still have trouble getting up our steep driveway. The Willy’s would get up the driveway in 2WD with some slippage, but still make it up where the GTO usually got stuck. In 4WD, there was not slip at all. That’s with about 4” of unplowed snow.
Sponsored