First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I installed a iDrive and run it on U5, absolutely no lag. Will flat out get up and go. I will say this about the milage. Stock I got around 26mpg, went to 35's and it dropped to ~23 around town and on the hwy I'm only getting about 20mpg. Get about the same results with the iDrive on or off.
I think that people have trouble with the concept that your seat-of-the-pants dyno says "wow", while there actually is no power added. I think that it's a must have for the EcoDiesel.
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It doesn't feel faster because it isn't faster. It makes effectively the same power (slightly less actually) then the other 2 powerplants and weighs significantly more. It does make more power at lower RPM's, but that's negated by the fact it can't rev high (hence the slightly lower HP rating vs your V6).

At higher elevation it would be a different story.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It doesn't feel faster because it isn't faster. It makes effectively the same power (slightly less actually) then the other 2 powerplants and weighs significantly more. It does make more power at lower RPM's, but that's negated by the fact it can't rev high (hence the slightly lower HP rating vs your V6).

At higher elevation it would be a different story.
When I was younger, I always equated "power" to horsepower - just as you just did. Over time, and a lot of vehicles, I realized that torque is the "power" that puts a smile on your face. And...I learned that a seat-of-the-pants sensation is actually more impressive for everyday driving than a vehicle that registers faster on a stopwatch. This is where the EcoDiesel excels, especially over the Pentastar, which you rightfully say is just as fast in actuality.

The diesel feels like it will pull a house off its foundation. The 2.0T and 3.6 don't.

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I installed a iDrive and run it on U5, absolutely no lag. Will flat out get up and go. I will say this about the milage. Stock I got around 26mpg, went to 35's and it dropped to ~23 around town and on the hwy I'm only getting about 20mpg. Get about the same results with the iDrive on or off.
Thanks for the feedback and insight

Sponsored

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
My diesel test-drive was only about 10 minutes. Left the dealership and up fairly steep 1.5 mile climb out of town. Driven that hill in many a vehicle, most of which either downshifted or struggled. The JLUR diesel went up it with ease, never downshifted, even as I applied more pedal to get more speed. Onto the 4-lane and a solid, smooth 70+ mph. Did a "quick" stop to feel the braking. Turned around and headed back.
I went in and ordered one just the way I wanted it!

I travel and live in a 1998 42' Class A Diesel Pusher. 8.3L Cummins and Alison 6-spd auto. I do all the repairs and maintenance on it. It's just bigger. You live and learn.

If you are worried about maintenance cost, remember that oil changes cost more, but you only do 1 oil change compared the the 3 oil changes for the gas model. (10,000 miles diesel / 3000 miles gas). Plus, 25-30 mpg on the highway!!!

It's a Jeep. They all cost to upkeep. Get what you want and live a little.

Last edited:

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Having owned a 2014 3.6 and trading it in on the 3.0 their is no comparing the two in my opinion. The 3.6 had 33's and would constantly shift while going up any hill and felt as adequate power. The 3.0 has 35's and has no power issues going anywhere. We just got done doing some trail riding in Tillamook and it was a beast.
As soon as the Bride started driving it home she even noticed the difference. I do not have a heavy foot but this thing wants to get up and go and rides great.
As for issues with any engine, I had to have a set of lifters put in our 3.6 right at 37,000 miles. I had posted about a flex plate issue on 3.0 when we picked it up from the Dealership. Even with that isssue would not go back to the 3.6. Not knocking those who have them as everyone likes different set ups that fit what they like.
I would say that if after three test drives if you don't like the feel of the 3.0 then but what makes you comfortable.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Have you driven the 2.0 turbo Hurricane motor? I was a diesel mechanic for over 30 years and no longer drive diesel personal vehicles after the very important sulfur was removed from the fuel and the emissions systems were over complicated. The 2.0 is what I found to be very inspiring to drive and it doesn't require a heavy foot to enjoy the low and mid range torque. I ordered my 2019 JLUR with it, and it's been absolutely fantastic. It's lifted 4" over stock and rolling 38's, and it's torque combined with the 8-speed performs wonderfully with stock gearing.
20210203_125510.jpg
What will be interesting down the road is when people starting tuning their diesels and deleting DEF etc (assuming they can pass inspection where they live). Based on your experience do you think there will be a lot of tuning opportunity to increase performance once people are willing to take the risk? (i.e. post warranty)

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Have you tried the diesel on a rocky dirt road? No need for low range in most cases. Heck, it will go much farther in 2wd too. Plan on adding 37s? the drivability doesn't change. No need to regear.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Having owned two previous 3.6 Wranglers (one auto and one manual) and now two new Wranglers (one diesel and the other 3.6 manual) I can absolutely state the diesel has much more usable power on road for passing/merging and is a beast off road. The torque eliminates constant shifting to stay in the power band. Costs more to buy and maintain for sure, but for me, the enjoyment of driving it makes it well worth it. The only down side is the added felt weight over my previous '14 JKU. You can tell the diesel is a little porky when cornering or stopping. I did install a HIKEit throttle enhancer which pretty well eliminates any lag in the EPA driven throttle programming and can be dialed down for slow off road maneuvers. All in all, very happy with the diesel now at 8k miles.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What will be interesting down the road is when people starting tuning their diesels and deleting DEF etc (assuming they can pass inspection where they live). Based on your experience do you think there will be a lot of tuning opportunity to increase performance once people are willing to take the risk? (i.e. post warranty)
Diesel is in the political crosshairs, right along side AR15's. Having so many nitwits rolling coal on YouTube has made it even worse for the smaller weight class of non commercial vehicles.

A lot of states, and growing, are now pulling pickups into the inspection check points with the commercial truckers to look for modified emissions equipment. And yes, those state inspection stations will now fail a vehicle and report the reason to dmv, in turn notifying insurance carriers. Diesel performance shops are also being heavily fined for producing and distribution of any parts that alter the exhaust and emissions.

The big downside to modern diesel fuel, is the lack of sulfur content. Sulfur was the lubrication ingredient that also served as a cooling effect to the fuel when going through the high pressure side of the injection system. Without it, the fuel is now very "dry", like kerosene. The result is drastically heightened erosion of the injection pump and the injectors themselves.

Longevity of components and minimal drop in mpg whether loaded or not, were the big benefits to choosing a diesel motor. No sulfur and a heavy buy in price of the motor have removed those pluses.
Sponsored