Sponsored

Shopping for new Rubicon - noises on test drive

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If the Sport's ride is so superior, I wonder why the majority of Sport owners put lifts and larger tires on their rigs? Must be gluttons for punishment.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
How do you find the handling / steering is at 70 - 75 on the highway?
I really want a 2 door and mine would be a daily driver (short drives), but I do one or two 2 hour highway trips a week.
- Dave
I just did a 1000 mile road trip in my 2 door. I have never driven a 4 door so I can't compare it to one, but I have never felt unsafe or out of control. Sure, if you mash the brakes it gets a little wobbly, but its nothing that you can't control. The steering is a little loose, but its a Jeep. Mine is also a daily driver and I can't complain at all.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what the tire pressure was on the stock Rubicon you drove. They ship way too high and most dealers don't lower them. I run 25lbs in my 37s and they ride like a dream. I aired the stock tires down to 30 before I drove it home. I think they were at 45 when I took delivery. Tire pressure makes a giant difference in how these things ride.
My wife bought her Jeep earlier this year and soon discovered the tires were inflated to a ridiculous 45psi. She has a Sahara, we dropped the pressure to 35psi and it made a very noticeable difference.

When I picked up my JLR I had a feeling the tires would be like they were with my wife. Yep, 46psi in all four. I dropped mine down to 32 and it's amazing how big a difference that made.

I wonder, do they leave the factory at this level or does the dealer do this? I understand vehicles may sit on lots for a while and ambient temperatures may vary a bit, but 45psi?! That seems a bit extreme, but it's not a world ending problem and is easily fixed.

Anyhow, love driving my new 2 door JL any and every chance I get.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just did a 1000 mile road trip in my 2 door. I have never driven a 4 door so I can't compare it to one, but I have never felt unsafe or out of control. Sure, if you mash the brakes it gets a little wobbly, but its nothing that you can't control. The steering is a little loose, but its a Jeep. Mine is also a daily driver and I can't complain at all.
We have 8k miles on our JL Sport S (and have been on a couple 1500 mile round trips), agree w/ your assessment, braking performance is the only real downside we've seen since we added larger and much heavier 295/70/17s on 30 lb wheels. I'm going to go w/ some Powerstop Extreme brake pads in the near future and see if they have a more aggressive bite under heavy braking. If that's not much help I may end up w/ the larger front rotors/calipers w/ better pads.
My steering is fine for a solid axle setup, haven't got the V41 recall done yet, but got the notice a couple months ago.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I wonder, do they leave the factory at this level or does the dealer do this? I understand vehicles may sit on lots for a while and ambient temperatures may vary a bit, but 45psi?! That seems a bit extreme, but it's not a world ending problem and is easily fixed.
The tires are overinflated at the factory for shipping. The dealers *should* correct that, but don’t.

We had the exact discussions about tire pressures on the Miata forum for the same reason :LOL: