Sponsored

Rubicon Diesel Test Drive (3rd time)

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Not bashing the JLURD at all. Actually trying to convince myself to buy one. My 2018 JLUR with 36K miles has been great with no issues but at the 3 year mark I am testing the waters for another vehicle. I want a diesel and so far I have test driven 3 JLURDs, but it has not wow'd me as I thought it would for some reason. 2 of the test drives have been short with speeds less then 60 mph, the other they tossed me the keys and said see you in 30 minutes and could you take this card and add some fuel. On that test drive, I did some highway, backroad, and stop and go. I honestly did not really find a significant difference in performance unless I really put my foot into it (but that is not they way I drive). I feel like if I drive my 3.6 in the same manner I get the same/simular performance. Now I could feel bit more torque if I was accelerated from 25 mph hard. But from 0 mph there was lag or hesitation where my 3.6 moves quickly. I did notice the fuel consumption reading was 25 to 30 mpg, that I really liked!

I realize these are new motors that I am driving, but recall reading somewhere that the diesel motor does not need a break-in like a gasoline motor. For those with the JLURD did you find that the motor became more responsive after the first 1000 miles? Planning to go back and do another test drive today (same dealer that tossed me the keys).

If you have some recommended things I should try such as acceleration from certain speeds, from a dead stop, cruise control usage, etc. I appreciate the input...
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Very helpful. Thanks for contributing. To the O.P., sorry, but I have no experience with the diesel. I would recommend checking out the thread specific to the Diesel engine under the POWER section.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If you do high altitude driving you’ll appreciate the turbo. Also the extra torque will become very noticeable when driving on the highway in hilly country...

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I love my 3.0 L turbo diesel and the 8 speed 8HP75 transmission that comes with it. I have no complaints and I appriciate the torque. In general, I do drive it "easy" but I have not noticed any change in performance from mile 6 (new) to my current mileage which is 5,000. If I were buying a new Rubicon, I would get another diesel or a 392. Break-in is for the gears in the differentials and transfer case. Now you can get off the pot. 😁

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have the 2020 JLURD and it has 18k miles on it. I recently got the 35 inch tires installed. I was getting 27 mpg and it dropped to 25 mpg. The diesel doesn't notice the bigger tires at all and there's no reason to regear. On road I never feel the lack of power. Off road and I idle up obstacles. Off road the engine sips fuel. A lot of the mods must be diesel specific. I have had zero issues with the jeep. On steep rocky trails in the old dale mining district I barely had to use any throttle, the torque is that good. To me, this is the best jeep I've ever had.

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
Like you, I had a 2018 JLUR with the 3.6 Auto. I decided to go with the JLUR diesel since I have a Chevrolet 3/4 ton with the Duramax and really like diesel performance. 10,800 miles later I have no regrets. The Rubicon is my daily driver, 60 mile round trip. On the same drive the 3.6 would shift down to 6th or 7th on my way to work depending on the headwind. Going to work is an elevation change of 1,000 feet. The diesel stays in 8th regardless of the wind. That difference is just a personal preference, it’s just the way I prefer it to operate. The 3.6 operated the way it was supposed to, just not my preference. They’re both great.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not bashing the JLURD at all. Actually trying to convince myself to buy one. My 2018 JLUR with 36K miles has been great with no issues but at the 3 year mark I am testing the waters for another vehicle. I want a diesel and so far I have test driven 3 JLURDs, but it has not wow'd me as I thought it would for some reason. 2 of the test drives have been short with speeds less then 60 mph, the other they tossed me the keys and said see you in 30 minutes and could you take this card and add some fuel. On that test drive, I did some highway, backroad, and stop and go. I honestly did not really find a significant difference in performance unless I really put my foot into it (but that is not they way I drive). I feel like if I drive my 3.6 in the same manner I get the same/simular performance. Now I could feel bit more torque if I was accelerated from 25 mph hard. But from 0 mph there was lag or hesitation where my 3.6 moves quickly. I did notice the fuel consumption reading was 25 to 30 mpg, that I really liked!

I realize these are new motors that I am driving, but recall reading somewhere that the diesel motor does not need a break-in like a gasoline motor. For those with the JLURD did you find that the motor became more responsive after the first 1000 miles? Planning to go back and do another test drive today (same dealer that tossed me the keys).

If you have some recommended things I should try such as acceleration from certain speeds, from a dead stop, cruise control usage, etc. I appreciate the input...
Have you driven the 2.0 turbo Hurricane motor? I was a diesel mechanic for over 30 years and no longer drive diesel personal vehicles after the very important sulfur was removed from the fuel and the emissions systems were over complicated. The 2.0 is what I found to be very inspiring to drive and it doesn't require a heavy foot to enjoy the low and mid range torque. I ordered my 2019 JLUR with it, and it's been absolutely fantastic. It's lifted 4" over stock and rolling 38's, and it's torque combined with the 8-speed performs wonderfully with stock gearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Diesel Test Drive (3rd time) 20210203_125510

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Thank you all for your input. You all make some valid points and I will be sure to drive on some hilly roads or steady up hill roads and set the cruise. My JLUR has 35s and drop to 7 on slight uphill roads and will drop to 6 on a real up hill climb so I will try to create that type of driving. I will also test drive the 2.0 turbo. Dealership was closed today, but I noticed that they had a wrangler 4xe charging so may try that too. The 392 sounds like fun but feeding that thing premium fuel (over $4 in the DC area) at 12-14 mpg is not what I want.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

The diesel has a slight hesitation from idle. Some of us are adding throttle enhancers to get rid of it. As a previous owner of two Pentastars, I can say that the EcoDiesel is way livelier at normal driving speeds.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
The diesel has a slight hesitation from idle. Some of us are adding throttle enhancers to get rid of it. As a previous owner of two Pentastars, I can say that the EcoDiesel is way livelier at normal driving speeds.
thanks for the information, I am doing my research and found many favorable articles, but like to get input from real owners that use their vehicle everyday...

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I received my JLURD in January 2020. I love it. The only issue that I have was a plug going to the exhaust. That could happen to diesel, or gas or 4xe. I’m on 37s and can get over 30mpg on the interstate if I keep 65mph. But my main reason to have diesel is the alternative fuel. Not alternative as in the green new deal, but as not gasoline. Western North Carolina had a couple of small gasoline shortages a few years ago. While most people were waiting in line to get gas, my dad switched over to his Cummins turbo dodge and never slowed down. I realized that a different fuel was smart. It wasn’t long after that I bought a 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel. Then a 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel. The 2007 was a Mercedes engine and a POS. The 2015 was awesome. Since I switched to diesel, we have experienced a few of those small gas crunches. Diesel is never affected. All this and great fuel economy. Diesel is the way to go.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I was considering the diesel. Have heard of increased maintenance costs,
still seems really cool.

Drove the 3.6 for a few years and really liked it. Pleasantly surprised with the 2.0 Turbo. Very peppy. My TJ was a 2.5L, which was decent with the stick.

cruzthepug

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
thanks for the information, I am doing my research and found many favorable articles, but like to get input from real owners that use their vehicle everyday...
I installed a iDrive and run it on U5, absolutely no lag. Will flat out get up and go. I will say this about the milage. Stock I got around 26mpg, went to 35's and it dropped to ~23 around town and on the hwy I'm only getting about 20mpg. Get about the same results with the iDrive on or off.
Sponsored