Rubicon 2 Door vs 4 Door

TsundereKaho

First Name
Kaho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 YJ, 12 JK Rubicon
IMHO Wranglers shouldn't have 4 doors. If you want 4 doors buy a Cherokee. I wouldn't hold it against someone if they bought a 4 door though. I just think they look ... weird (poser-ish?) ... like when you see some Toyota owner driving around with their doors off.
Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
IMHO Wranglers shouldn't have 4 doors. If you want 4 doors buy a Cherokee. I wouldn't hold it against someone if they bought a 4 door though. I just think they look ... weird (poser-ish?) ... like when you see some Toyota owner driving around with their doors off.
Copied picture from another post:
So roughly 82% of Wranglers and 85% of Rubicons sold now are posers? These statements get old quick.

A36A59AD-BED9-4667-9204-A06F0CF85331.png

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Pretty sure the JL wouldn’t be what it is, or not just now, or maybe not even at all if it wasn’t for all these people buying these ugly, poser-ish fake Wranglers that the Unlimited is...
Just a suggestion, what about you guys go create a « jl2doorswranglerforums.com » where you could tell each other how much you’re real jeep guys, with the real jeep, and a bigger pen** than anyone else on the other fake forums...!
This is getting old...

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
Pretty sure the JL wouldn’t be what it is, or not just now, or maybe not even at all if it wasn’t for all these people buying these ugly, poser-ish fake Wranglers that the Unlimited is...
Just a suggestion, what about you guys go create a « jl2doorswranglerforums.com » where you could tell each other how much you’re real jeep guys, with the real jeep, and a bigger pen** than anyone else on the other fake forums...!
This is getting old...
Mike, you are right on about the 4 doors, we're damn lucky Jeep did this. I agree the current, new style two door, would have never existed without the demand for the four door. Also to be understood is that the four door would not be in existence without the original two door. We all live in this beautiful swamp ecosystem dependent on each other. There is a two door forum that's about when two doors will arrive, this is a legitimate forum. If they start trashing my brothers/sisters that have four doors, I'll definitely let them know also.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I think the "Real Jeep" phrase is just triggering people. There is almost none of that condescending attitude on this forum. Less than any jeep forum I've been on. one guy wrote a post about the JL being a soccer mom Jeep and just got skewered.
Is the term "mall crawler" considered condescending? Just asking.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lol. Come try and follow me in my 4-door. We’ll see who’s the poser. When I had my ‘99 TJ I dreamt of the day they designed a 4-door.

Sponsored

bearcat454

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500HD, Suzuki Carry
Just ordered my 2-door. I had a 2 door TJ that I loved. If I need to move anything big, I have an old beater pickup for that. My only real worry with the 2 door space is being able to fit a modern geometry 29 inch mountain bike (long wheelbase) with out taking off the rear wheel. I usually rack the bike, but sometimes I work in questionable areas and don't want to have it hanging out in plain site.

My plan is to relocate the Alpine sub, and sink the bike fork or the rear wheel in its spot

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Lol. Come try and follow me in my 4-door. We’ll see who’s the poser. When I had my ‘99 TJ I dreamt of the day they designed a 4-door.
Yes depending on type of off-roading and trail properties, longer wheelbase can have advantages. I already have a CJ7 and short wheel base Land Rover Series 88 vehicle, so for me the main allure of a JL is as a 4-door version, to better accommodate my family of four and gear. Glad we have a choice of both models. Land Rover had several varieties of the Series/Defender vehicle both 2 and 4 door. Each had it's purposes and pluses/minuses. I will say though, my 1970 CJ-5 (shorter wheelbase than later CJ5s) was so much fun to drive on and off-road. Felt completely in tune with that vehicle like a big go-kart. I imagine a 4 door JL while more comfortable, is going to have a much larger vehicle feel to it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes depending on type of off-roading and trail properties, longer wheelbase can have advantages. I already have a CJ7 and short wheel base Land Rover Series 88 vehicle, so for me the main allure of a JL is as a 4-door version, to better accommodate my family of four and gear. Glad we have a choice of both models. Land Rover had several varieties of the Series/Defender vehicle both 2 and 4 door. Each had it's purposes and pluses/minuses. I will say though, my 1970 CJ-5 (shorter wheelbase than later CJ5s) was so much fun to drive on and off-road. Felt completely in tune with that vehicle like a big go-kart. I imagine a 4 door JL while more comfortable, is going to have a much larger vehicle feel to it.
Oh I didn’t mean to downplay the fun and capability of the 2-doors at all. Just heckling the poser comment.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
The way I see it, 2 door vs 4 door offroad performance is about what type of terrain will be traversed and how the rig will be setup. Tight rocky trails, open desert, Moab, mud, sand, hill climbing ...etc all produce different challenges for short and long wheelbases. Sometimes long wheelbase stability, tracking, and ability to stretch across things is beneficial. Sometimes the agility and break over angle of a short wheelbase is beneficial. Lift and tire setup will affect stability, tracking, and balance of traction to different degrees for short and long wheelbases.

Get what best satisfies your needs and feel you desire from your vehicle, and have fun.
Well worded Dirt 32, Nice Job!

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Best suggestion I have heard yet...

The way I see it, 2 door vs 4 door offroad performance is about what type of terrain will be traversed and how the rig will be setup. Tight rocky trails, open desert, Moab, mud, sand, hill climbing ...etc all produce different challenges for short and long wheelbases. Sometimes long wheelbase stability, tracking, and ability to stretch across things is beneficial. Sometimes the agility and break over angle of a short wheelbase is beneficial. Lift and tire setup will affect stability, tracking, and balance of traction to different degrees for short and long wheelbases.

Get what best satisfies your needs and feel you desire from your vehicle, and have fun.
Sponsored