2020 JLUR, Sarge Green

TheInsane

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have had LOD Destroyer's almost a year now and am definitely a fan of them. The regular price is a bit steep but I got them during a sale so it wasn't quite so bad.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
[rant on] Frankly, all the options out there suck. They all drastically reduce the clearance afforded by the factory "rock rails" (in quotes b/c they aren't really designed to be used in the rocks). Jeep really screwed up the design of the tub in this area making it so thin, it can't easily be reinforced and companies have taken to making them "frame mounted" by incorporating the body mount into the designs.

If the trails you run really are bad, the cutout for the steps is also a bad design idea...but I get that people think the step in height is too high...which is consequently why mfgs of 4wds keep making it lower and lower. [rant off]
yea clearance sucks, I just got used to dragging my ace sliders. They do protect it well.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for LOD signature series sliders. I’ve had mine for more than a year and I’ve smashed and dragged them on rocks with great protection. The finish holds up well, except for the rockrash of course, and they touch up easy. The step is functional. I don’t mind the pinch seam.

Sponsored

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a brainstorm. What if I went with something like the Lod Signatures and then masked off the pinch seam and shot it with bed liner? Would this make it more prone to rust? Would it look like hell?
Just use some black vinyl to cover the pinch seam. You'll have to remove the 2 fender bolts and paint them black to blend in, it's inexpensive, works, and easy to remove or replace if that ever becomes necessary.
https://www.amazon.com/EZAUTOWRAP-M...ords=matte+black+vinyl&qid=1581342496&sr=8-25

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
masked off the pinch seam and shot it with bed liner?
I wouldn't like it, but then again I'm OCD about stuff like that. I'd, reluctantly, live with the pinch seam first.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the idea of Bedlining the pinch seam, and intend doing mine once Spring comes. It will blend with the Rock Rails. DV8 also has nice Rock Rails / step combo, and a solution for the pinch seam.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
[rant on] Frankly, all the options out there suck. They all drastically reduce the clearance afforded by the factory "rock rails" (in quotes b/c they aren't really designed to be used in the rocks). Jeep really screwed up the design of the tub in this area making it so thin, it can't easily be reinforced and companies have taken to making them "frame mounted" by incorporating the body mount into the designs.

If the trails you run really are bad, the cutout for the steps is also a bad design idea...but I get that people think the step in height is too high...which is consequently why mfgs of 4wds keep making it lower and lower. [rant off]
OMG this exactly! I've felt this way since the day I bought my JL but I don't bother saying anything on this forum 'cause I'm astounded how people lap up whatever the aftermarket puts out. Bolt on something heavy that eats up clearance and provides lots of places to grab rocks and then pat yourself on the back....sorry I really don't mean to sound hateful I'm just disappointed in the lack of thought consumers apparently exercise.

The plan at the moment is the Motobilt steel rocker protection ('cause I can't brake 3/16" plate in that length) and maybe add something to extend along the pinch seam....or maybe not.

I kinda miss the TJ floor pan layout where the doors started higher up...then if you wanna run a little "push-off" bar it can be above the lower lip of the body.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Is anyone running Motor City rock rails? Do they work with Rubi OEM rock rails? If not, do they cover the pinch seams?

https://mcaftermarket.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-rock-rails/
Okay, after some research, I'm answering my own question. They do require the removal of the rubi rails, but do cover the exposed pinch seams. Their attachment design (bolt holes are slotted) seems to facilitate a one-man installation.

Blendo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JKUR

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
Guys, I'm in analysis paralysis here. I know there are a couple of lengthy threads here on this subject but I still can't decide.
I've been looking at these two:

https://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl-rock-sliders/

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...k-sliders/2018-jl-destroyer-rock-sliders.html

I love the look and step functionality of these two, but I've read stories about early rust with both. I've also read stories about both flexing and allowing body damage on trails. I won't do a lot of serious off-roading but I might here and there. I also go camping in very remote places and down trails that can barely be described as a trail, so I do want something that offers body protection. At the same time, the Rubicon is just tall enough to be a bit uncomfortable to enter/exit, so I really want a step.

What I'm seeking:

1: Functional step while still providing good lower body protection.

2: Hidden pinch seam, it looks hideous exposed.

So, is there anything out there that fits that description or am I expecting too much?

Thanks again!
Roam! Better design, better price!
Sponsored