Sponsored

Rubicon rock rail repurposing

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I replaced my Rubicon rocker rails with after market slider/steps. I noticed my AEG slider/steps don’t really fully protect the body’s pinch weld seam. In all fairness, looks to me like this is common with after market sliders except for the boat sided style. Anyway, I noticed the Rubicon rails are made in two pieces and the bracket part could do a very good job covering the body pinch seam if the box rail part was removed. With a grinder I removed the welds and separated the two Rubi rail parts and bolted the bracket back on including/with my after market slider. No adjustments needed, the two items mount separately. Rubi bracket mounts to body and AEG slider/step mounts to the frame. The Rubi bracket checked the right boxes, body curve, mounting holes, hardware and it’s made pretty stout. The final mod I will do to the bracket is to shorten the 2-2dr/3-4dr. out rigger looking legs. That will move the bracket from the outside of the pinch weld seam to over the top of it and cover the seam for best protection.
I think this puts the Rubi rails brackets to good use rather than maybe $75 in my pocket or the metal crap yard. It’s a very good addition to my $220. AEG slider/steps which are of surprising value. And a very good alternative to an alum. boat side slider no one seems to want to make for my 2dr. haha GenRight does make a nice 4 dr. boat sided slider version @ $1200 a copy but not for my 2dr.
Sponsored

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
I replaced my Rubicon rocker rails with after market slider/steps. I noticed my AEG slider/steps don’t really fully protect the body’s pinch weld seam. In all fairness, looks to me like this is common with after market sliders except for the boat sided style. Anyway, I noticed the Rubicon rails are made in two pieces and the bracket part could do a very good job covering the body pinch seam if the box rail part was removed. With a grinder I removed the welds and separated the two Rubi rail parts and bolted the bracket back on including/with my after market slider. No adjustments needed, the two items mount separately. Rubi bracket mounts to body and AEG slider/step mounts to the frame. The Rubi bracket checked the right boxes, body curve, mounting holes, hardware and it’s made pretty stout. The final mod I will do to the bracket is to shorten the 2-2dr/3-4dr. out rigger looking legs. That will move the bracket from the outside of the pinch weld seam to over the top of it and cover the seam for best protection.
I think this puts the Rubi rails brackets to good use rather than maybe $75 in my pocket or the metal crap yard. It’s a very good addition to my $220. AEG slider/steps which are of surprising value. And a very good alternative to an alum. boat side slider no one seems to want to make for my 2dr. haha GenRight does make a nice 4 dr. boat sided slider version @ $1200 a copy but not for my 2dr.
Hi Sourdough, that's a good idea. Post some pictures with both rails and aftermarket on the jeep. I may end up doing the same.

Its been a while and hopefully you had a chance to test it out?

RT