Rock Rail Suggestions

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I'm hoping to get ideas on rock rails for my JLUR. The Jeep is ordered and my dealer has agreed to install my accessories as part of the deal. I'd like something that is frame mounted and that's also a functional step. I'd also prefer to have something that hides the pinch seam like the stock ones, but doesn't look like concert lighting beams hanging from the side of the Jeep. I really like these but I wasn't really planing on spending $800:

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...k-sliders/2018-jl-destroyer-rock-sliders.html

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Matt C.

PS: I was looking at these because they provide a nice step and I like that the gussets will provide a little protection from debris thrown up by the front tires, but upon closer inspection they are body mounted and the pinch seam is completely visible.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QHD8YST/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Guys, I'm in analysis paralysis here. I know there are a couple of lengthy threads here on this subject but I still can't decide.
I've been looking at these two:

https://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl-rock-sliders/

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...k-sliders/2018-jl-destroyer-rock-sliders.html

I love the look and step functionality of these two, but I've read stories about early rust with both. I've also read stories about both flexing and allowing body damage on trails. I won't do a lot of serious off-roading but I might here and there. I also go camping in very remote places and down trails that can barely be described as a trail, so I do want something that offers body protection. At the same time, the Rubicon is just tall enough to be a bit uncomfortable to enter/exit, so I really want a step.

What I'm seeking:

1: Functional step while still providing good lower body protection.

2: Hidden pinch seam, it looks hideous exposed.

So, is there anything out there that fits that description or am I expecting too much?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I'm in analysis paralysis here. I know there are a couple of lengthy threads here on this subject but I still can't decide.
I've been looking at these two:

https://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-rock-rails-jeep-wrangler-jl-rock-sliders/

I love the look and step functionality of these two, but I've read stories about early rust with both. I've also read stories about both flexing and allowing body damage on trails. I won't do a lot of serious off-roading but I might here and there. I also go camping in very remote places and down trails that can barely be described as a trail, so I do want something that offers body protection. At the same time, the Rubicon is just tall enough to be a bit uncomfortable to enter/exit, so I really want a step.

What I'm seeking:

1: Functional step while still providing good lower body protection.

2: Hidden pinch seam, it look hideous exposed.

So, is there anything out there that fits that description or am I expecting too much?

Thanks again!
LOD is what I recommend.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Have you looked at ACE Engineering? They retain the OEM Rubi rock rails to cover the pinch seams. I also seem to recall a few LoD finish issues, but I have no first-hand experience.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
[rant on] If the trails you run really are bad, the cutout for the steps is also a bad design idea...but I get that people think the step in height is too high...which is consequently why mfgs of 4wds keep making it lower and lower. [rant off]
Yeah man, I would't change a thing about the ride height, except to maybe raise it. :LOL:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
[rant on] Frankly, all the options out there suck. They all drastically reduce the clearance afforded by the factory "rock rails" (in quotes b/c they aren't really designed to be used in the rocks). Jeep really screwed up the design of the tub in this area making it so thin, it can't easily be reinforced and companies have taken to making them "frame mounted" by incorporating the body mount into the designs.

If the trails you run really are bad, the cutout for the steps is also a bad design idea...but I get that people think the step in height is too high...which is consequently why mfgs of 4wds keep making it lower and lower. [rant off]
Your rant is why I chose the rails I did. I only lost a 1/2” of clearance. I’m not the welder / fabricator you are so I’m at the mercy of the market, lol.
22CD6E09-7D15-4C3D-862E-9CC0977D6796.jpeg
16AE4A00-492C-4746-90AA-94CE3090377C.jpeg

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Your rant is why I chose the rails I did. I only lost a 1/2” of clearance. I’m not the welder / fabricator you are so I’m at the mercy of the market, lol.
22CD6E09-7D15-4C3D-862E-9CC0977D6796.jpeg
16AE4A00-492C-4746-90AA-94CE3090377C.jpeg
Which ones are those?

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Lod destroyer ...]
Aren't those the Lod Signatures? Now see, I haven't seen a photo of those before that show the step plate. I like it, a lot.

Edit: Ah, but they show the pinch seam. :crying:

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Aren't those the Lod Signatures? Now see, I haven't seen a photo of those before that show the step plate. I like it, a lot.

Edit: Ah, but they show the pinch seam. :crying:
I’m sorry, they’re the signature series , I keep getting them mixed up, my bumper is the destroyer......:facepalm:.....
Yeah the pinch seam is not a big deal for me, hard to see it anyway. But some guys cover it with black vinyl before they put the rails on. Looks pretty good.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
LoD Destroyers.
IMG_LoD.jpg

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I had a brainstorm. What if I went with something like the Lod Signatures and then masked off the pinch seam and shot it with bed liner? Would this make it more prone to rust? Would it look like hell?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That bar is under the pinch seam the factory slider attaches to. Which means you lost the thickness of whatever sits below it (though there's a 1/2" from the bottom of the seam to the bottom of the factory rock rail when you include the air gap. I'd say from the pics, it's considerably more than 1/2" that you gave up.
My apologies, according to your math, I stand corrected.i thought the rubi rail hung lower than a 1/2 inch below the pinch seam.
Sponsored