Sponsored

Reusable factory diff cover gasket damaged?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Has anyone changed out their diff covers and not been able to reuse the factory gasket? Like it was somehow damaged. Debating about buying new ones and or having RTV on standby when I replace factory diff covers with armored ones. I'm guessing its probably a safe bet that the factory gasket will be fine to reuse.
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Absolutely no experience with this, but I have done some engine work. I would never reuse a gasket.

G.

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Absolutely no experience with this, but I have done some engine work. I would never reuse a gasket.

G.
Lube Locker was so successful with reusable diff gaskets on JKs, that it seems that is the route Jeep went with JLs. I ran Lube Locker on JK no issues. Just checking if anyone has had an issue with Jeeps JL variant.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
For less than $25 for a new gasket, why would you risk it?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Lube Locker was so successful with reusable diff gaskets on JKs, that it seems that is the route Jeep went with JLs. I ran Lube Locker on JK no issues. Just checking if anyone has had an issue with Jeeps JL variant.
I've had my front cover off twice. Changed covers the first time. Did some upgrades the second time. No leaks with OEM reusable gasket.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I was going to buy some just in case but the local auto parts stores didn’t have them in stock. So I reused and had RTV just in case. No problem getting them off or with leaks.

Edit: Granted the miles were pretty low. ~10k on one,~2k on the other. But 4 gaskets, zero problems.

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
I performed a 500 mile differential fluid change after my re-gear in both front and rear axles. I pulled both differential covers to drain the fluid instead of using the drain plugs in the axles so I could inspect the gearing.

The shop that did my re-gear had reused the stock gaskets.

I reused the stock gaskets (no RTV or extra sealant) after my fluid change.

After having both differential covers off and back on twice with the same stock gaskets, I've experienced no leaks and no issues.

Seems Dana did a good job with this part of the axle.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone changed out their diff covers and not been able to reuse the factory gasket? Like it was somehow damaged. Debating about buying new ones and or having RTV on standby when I replace factory diff covers with armored ones. I'm guessing its probably a safe bet that the factory gasket will be fine to reuse.

G.
For less than $25 for a new gasket, why would you risk it?
100% reusable. I would be surprised if LubeLocker isn't contracted to make them.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There’s no problem reusing them. OEM are expensive (over $100 for the pair through the dealership) and very few places have them in stock. 6 week+ back order.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll echo what others have said: the OEM’s are stout and we’ll built and you should experience no trouble reusing. My DANA covers came with a tube of RTV each that were never used. The OEM’s have metal inserts in the bolt holes making them easy to work with, and everything seals up nicely. No leaks. Don’t over tighten your Diff cover bolts.

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Thanks for the feedback guys.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I have had mine off about 10 times with no leaks. They have steel inserts around the bolt holes as well as steel embedded within the gasket itself.

I only installed a new set recently when I installed Motobilt covers, but kept the originals as spares.
Sponsored

Last edited: