Reprogramming key fob?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I think a dealer just scammed us. We bought a key fob off eBay for $70 and it seems to work - the LED comes on, we even put a new battery in it.

The dealer just charged us $110 and then said it didn't work and that we still had to pay for their labor (all of 5 minutes).

So are they lying to us and just took our money? Because why would they charge for a service and then not deliver it.

Why would a key fob "not be able to be programmed"?

I have bought key fobs off eBay before, got my Grand Cherokee SRT8, and had no issues getting it re-programmed.

If this FOB is bad, I can get my $70 back from PayPal. But, the dealer charging me like this, seems kind of ridiculous..

cc @JeepCares
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
The JL fobs can only be programmed once and only to a single vehicle, of course, and only the dealer can do it. No fancy combination of pedal pumps, key on/off, window up/down, tongue movement side to side, etc. JL key fobs are a racket.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Benz is the number one in security for automotive and even there keys are re-programmable.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think a dealer just scammed us. We bought a key fob off eBay for $70 and it seems to work - the LED comes on, we even put a new battery in it.

The dealer just charged us $110 and then said it didn't work and that we still had to pay for their labor (all of 5 minutes).

So are they lying to us and just took our money? Because why would they charge for a service and then not deliver it.

Why would a key fob "not be able to be programmed"?

I have bought key fobs off eBay before, got my Grand Cherokee SRT8, and had no issues getting it re-programmed.

If this FOB is bad, I can get my $70 back from PayPal. But, the dealer charging me like this, seems kind of ridiculous..

cc @JeepCares
The key is not defective. Did you tell the dealer that it was used previously? If so, they should have known that it can not be reprogrammed and not attempted it.

You would have known this too, if you had read the manual. (digital p.21)

"Programming Additional Key Fobs

Programming the key fob may be performed by an autho- rized dealer.

NOTE:

Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be repurposed and reprogrammed to another vehicle."

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Dealer should have known and told you up front they could not. I would argue that point.

Onto E-Bay.. was the listing mentioning it can be programmed? If so, then you may have a case. If not, then it may be a tough sell but still worth going to the seller and request a refund since it can't be used.

Just my 2 cents.. Hope it all works out. Shame to be out almost $200 and not get what you expected.

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Thanks all. This is unfortunate. I just can't believe it can't be reprogrammed. How stupid is that. I got my eBay money back, but not the cost of the failed reprogramming. Ah well, live and learn. Thanks for all the replies.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Thanks all. This is unfortunate. I just can't believe it can't be reprogrammed. How stupid is that. I got my eBay money back, but not the cost of the failed reprogramming. Ah well, live and learn. Thanks for all the replies.
It is stupid.. appreciate you sharing it here. I would have never known otherwise. You probably at least saved others.

I know it may not be worth your time but I'd fight the dealer tooth & nail. They should know better. File a claim with your bank or CC company and let them dispute it. You got zilch for your $ and they should have known. Sorry.. rant over.

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
want to use a used keyfob? Replace the RFID chip and have the keyfob programmed.