Rear window defroster connector

Gerty

First Name
Gert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Found this while cleaning the rear window. Not sure when it happened but as I am not using the rear window defroster at this time of the year I had no idea it was broken.

It looks like a bad solder connection so I assume I can just solder this back on?

defroster.jpg
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Pretty common, it’s best to just take it in. I’ve had my rear window replaced twice.

Jeepy Jeepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Found this while cleaning the rear window. Not sure when it happened but as I am not using the rear window defroster at this time of the year I had no idea it was broken.

It looks like a bad solder connection so I assume I can just solder this back on?

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster connector defroster
Man, this issue has me questioning my ownership of my JLUR... I'm on my 3rd or 4th rear window right now *luckily covered under warranty* because of my cable coming off. The dealer always attempt to repair it but fail every time thus having to replace to whole rear window. Good luck...

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just had rear window replaced on there dime, hopefully putting a small zip tie next to the wire bracket will alleviate the problem with undo stress on the wire đź‘Ť

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster connector 15A7CEA9-6685-40EE-985F-13D71CE3303D

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster connector 15A7CEA9-6685-40EE-985F-13D71CE3303D
this is what I did

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've gone through 2 rear windows because of the rear defroster wire breaking off. Both times they tried to resolder it first before replacing the rear window and both times it didn't work.

Littlebother

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Haven’t used my rear window defrost except when I use remote start and I noticed the other day the solder joint had melted, looks to me it’s a low heat solder or it’s but some real voltage to that window :/
Back to the shop it will go

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon and my rear defrost hasn't worked since I bought the Jeep. It fell off 3 times, they finally replaced the back glass and it's fallen off 3 more times. I actually dropped it off this morning because it came off again and I can't defrost by rear glass. Has Jeep not accepted that this a defect and need to fix it?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those with iffy, problematic, poor soldering at contact or not working rear window defroster, do remove Fuse 81 in the power distribution center (PDC) or you may have issues to include rear window imploding, etc.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
sounds like a recall coming .

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Mine fell off at an unknown point in time. Living in Florida, I don't need the rear window defroster so I am just leaving it like that. I have read all kinds of threads and fixes for this, but none of the fixes seem to last, including replacing the rear glass. If I lived somewhere where it is frosty cold, I would look into fixing it. Meanwhile, that is good advice above about pulling fuse 81. Once again, a thank you to @Rhinebeck01 for another valuable contribution to the forum.

BTW, the imploding rear window has been a recurring problem on F150's for years now and Ford has not come up with a solution, nor do I expect one that works from Stellantis.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
This happened to mine at about 2500 miles. Been putting off taking it in because the weather's been good, but now that we're getting below freezing in the NE I've got an appointment for after Christmas. Absolutely wild that this one part detaching would lead to a full rear glass replacement 🤦‍♂️ really hoping they can re-solder it, who knows how long it'll take to get a new glass pane nowadays.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window defroster connector IMG_0591

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.
Sponsored