Sponsored

Wire for rear window defroster broken?

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just noticed this today. Would this be cover under warranty?

Has this happen to anyone before?

20200223_194336.jpg
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There are multiple posts on this subject, yes covered under warranty. Some have had the whole glass replaced, while others have had to have it replaced 2-3 times after dealer fix!

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are multiple posts on this subject, yes covered under warranty. Some have had the whole glass replaced, while others have had to have it replaced 2-3 times after dealer fix!
Thank you, I'll make a appointment to take it in

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just noticed this today. Would this be cover under warranty?

Has this happen to anyone before?

20200223_194336.jpg
Hi Jeepsmashin,
Thanks for reaching out! Yes, there is a service bulletin that has been released in response to this concern. We recommend showing this to your dealer during your service. Let us know if you have any further questions!
upload_2020-2-25_13-29-36.png

Kathryn
JeepCares

Nagnalj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport S Stingray
Hi Jeepsmashin,
Thanks for reaching out! Yes, there is a service bulletin that has been released in response to this concern. We recommend showing this to your dealer during your service. Let us know if you have any further questions!
upload_2020-2-25_13-29-36.png

Kathryn
JeepCares
Is this bulletin still going on? My jeep had this and I was waiting over a year for a new back glass cause it was on backorder. Went to the dealership on Friday to ask about it and they said it was cancelled but they are doing a new wiring kit with a button as long as it as the jeep doesn't have more than 36000 miles on it. So they are taking care of me but my wifes jeep has had one new glass and one soldered on and has came undone again but hers has more then 36000 miles on it and would have to pay for it. Anything we can do to get hers fixed?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Went to the dealership on Friday to ask about it and they said it was cancelled but they are doing a new wiring kit with a button
Curious as to what this wiring kit entails. Are they running a completely new harness? And by button, do they mean the button tab that's on the glass (which is what actually breaks off) that the wire snaps onto?

Anything we can do to get hers fixed?
You can buy this:

https://www.frostfighter.com/defroster-repair-tab-bonding-kit-2000.htm

And if you need a new one, this:

2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab
Featured on Jeep vehicles these tabs are a specialty of Jeep as well as a few others. Are NOT compatible with all defrosters and connectors.

Jeep_defroster_tab_button.jpg

2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab (1) - $7.95

Nagnalj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport S Stingray
Curious as to what this wiring kit entails. Are they running a completely new harness? And by button, do they mean the button tab that's on the glass (which is what actually breaks off) that the wire snaps onto?

You can buy this:

https://www.frostfighter.com/defroster-repair-tab-bonding-kit-2000.htm

And if you need a new one, this:

2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab
Featured on Jeep vehicles these tabs are a specialty of Jeep as well as a few others. Are NOT compatible with all defrosters and connectors.

Jeep_defroster_tab_button.jpg

2302-MSS Uni-Clip Defroster Tab (1) - $7.95
Yeah it is a button they solder on the window and the wiring harness has the snap.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is this bulletin still going on? My jeep had this and I was waiting over a year for a new back glass cause it was on backorder. Went to the dealership on Friday to ask about it and they said it was cancelled but they are doing a new wiring kit with a button as long as it as the jeep doesn't have more than 36000 miles on it. So they are taking care of me but my wifes jeep has had one new glass and one soldered on and has came undone again but hers has more then 36000 miles on it and would have to pay for it. Anything we can do to get hers fixed?
@Nagnalj,
Yes, this TSB is still available. If you would like me to look into this further for you, please send me a private message with the VIN and mileage of the vehicle in question. I'd be happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Dkilduff87

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Is this service bulletin still going on? My jl was purchased after the warranty had already expired. Took my top off this weekend to find the wire hanging.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Is this service bulletin still going on? My jl was purchased after the warranty had already expired. Took my top off this weekend to find the wire hanging.
TSBs typically are only "covered" under warranty. You would likely need to pay to have it fixed, unless you find a good dealer. TSBs are not recalls.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Im getting my 3rd winsdshield/defroster. Outside of warrantly period but bc it has happened before, theyre going to fix it under "warranty"

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
They tried to "Fix" mine three times, before I told them they needed to replace the entire window. They did, and it has been fine for 6 months.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
i have covers for mine so i dont whack into them but i can see how the wire can get tugged .
Jeep Wrangler JL Wire for rear window defroster broken? s-l1600

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
i have covers for mine so i dont whack into them but i can see how the wire can get tugged .
Jeep Wrangler JL Wire for rear window defroster broken? s-l1600
It isn't from the wire getting tugged. The solder just fails- gets too hot or has too much resistsnce in the current or changing temperatures that it just sort of separates and falls off...

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
It isn't from the wire getting tugged. The solder just fails- gets too hot or has too much resistsnce in the current or changing temperatures that it just sort of separates and falls off...
Got ya. Luckily I can solder Thanks for heads up mines been good so far knock on wood.
Sponsored