First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
2020 Rubicon - No mods. Automatic
Approx. 25,500 miles

Was driving on the interstate this week and the jeep suddenly jerked into the lane beside me and I started hearing a knocking sound. Power seemed to decrease, too.

I immediately checked the gauges and saw the rear axle light on and took the exit that was thankfully right there. I had a hard time pulling into a parking lot and couldn't turn sharp enough to get into a parking spot.

Called my dealer and spoke with a mechanic who had me call the tow service. Long story short, they have had my jeep for 3 days and have driven it 70+ miles all to tell me that there isn't anything wrong with it and that it can't engage at 70 mph.

I don't feel safe getting back into it and I told the dealer that. The service manager admitted he wouldn't feel safe putting his family in it either but he can't go replacing things without a code.

I asked if there were any service bulletins or any record of other jeeps doing this and he said no.

This is my first brand new car and I tow three kiddos around regularly. I don't want to get rid of my baby...does anybody have any experience with this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ealicause

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Thanks! They are unwilling to replace anything right now because they don't have any records of anyone else having this issue from Jeep. How do I find something officially on jeeps website/service bulletin to show them?

I really don't think they looked at anything from corporate and I feel like they are doing the least amount of work possible to just get me out the door....really sad that I spent this much money and am getting such poor customer service. Is there some way to keep escalating this?

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Since you felt the vehicle pulling and heard noises, I'll assume that the locker did engage, and it was not simply the sensor problem detecting the wrong position.

I assume your dealer did the basic of checking locker wiring harness/connectors. If not, do that. You also need to go to a quite road and lock/unlock your axles multiple times to make sure it works correctly and smoothly. (P.S. I do that at least once a month and before any off road trip to make sure 4LO, Sway, Lockers work fine).

Assuming that is not the issue....

You need to plug in a good OBDII scanner on your Jeep (e.g. BlueDriver) and pull the codes. I'll almost guarantee you will have CAN message errors. If you don, you (or dealer) need to check all harnesses and connection blocks (engine compartment, near sway disconnect, near transmission, behind glove box, under passenger seat are the more common trouble areas - if any harness is chafing or connector pins bent, you can get these errors that cause things to go haywire.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I’d also go to the NHTSA and file a report. There is clearly an issue with the rubicon lockers and we need everyone to report their issues so hopefully someday there will be a recall. Mine constantly show they are locked when they are not. Yours (and a few others on here) show they actually can lock inappropriately and that is a huge safety issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ealicause

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Wanted to update this in case anyone found it useful.

I raised enough hell that they opened up the rear axle and found oil in the locker sensor. Waited about a week and a half to get a new one and then it immediately went bad as well. Ball bearing inside was completely shredded.

3rd axle installed and then it didn't line up with the driveshaft so the driveshaft had to be replaced as well.

After almost 40 days in the shop, they bought it from me and I was able to secure more money than what I paid for her.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I raised enough hell that they opened up the rear axle and found oil in the locker sensor. Waited about a week and a half to get a new one and then it immediately went bad as well. Ball bearing inside was completely shredded.

3rd axle installed and then it didn't line up with the driveshaft so the driveshaft had to be replaced as well.

After almost 40 days in the shop, they bought it from me and I was able to secure more money than what I paid for her.
Damn, what an ordeal, glad you got it sorted out and weren't set back more coin (but plenty of time and frustration).
Are you getting another Jeep, or is this too soon???

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Wowza - sounds like the lemon law worked as designed for you. Hopefully you are able to get a new rig just as quick. :)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Lockers engaging on a straight road would be nearly undetectable. This is more significant. If they haven’t at least removed the diff cover to inspect, they are not going to be helpful.
Sponsored