Sponsored

Rear locker stuck engaged, mech answer needed!

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Hey guys, my rear locker is stuck engaged even without the harness plugged in.

I have looked thoroughly at the other forum posts that pertain to the notorious 2018 locker issues.

What I’m wondering is, does the locker mechanism inside the diff require electrical signal to disengage, or should it automatically disengage without the electrical input.
I.e. if I unplug the harness for the electrical signal into the axel, would that cause the locker to disengage?

I ordered the Z jl oem locker device and it should be in on Wednesday, but I’m a little concerned there is something bigger then just a sensor issue.

I really don’t wanna take it to the dealer as I currently have king coilovers on it, and replacing the axel seems almost impossible because of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tharris

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one knows whether the locker stays engaged without power?

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Look up the JK lockers, they had the same issue. It should disengage without a current driving the electromagnet but the issue is probably some debris causing the elocker to be stuck in the engaged position. Since they don't just sell lockers you would need to go to your dealership and they would try and authorize a new rear axle.

You should be able to take off the cover and try and get it to disengage.

FYI better explanation

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tharris

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look up the JK lockers, they had the same issue. It should disengage without a current driving the electromagnet but the issue is probably some debris causing the elocker to be stuck in the engaged position. Since they don't just sell lockers you would need to go to your dealership and they would try and authorize a new rear axle.

You should be able to take off the cover and try and get it to disengage.

FYI better explanation

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored