Rear headrest removal

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport, 2015 Sahara Unlimited
I bought a set of Bartact seat covers for the JL. Mine is a 2-door Sport S model. I found this thread while trying to figure out how to install the rear vertical seat cover. As it turns out, all you have to do is lift straight up on the headrest while it is in the "up" position. Give them a firm snatch, they pull right off.
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I bought a set of Bartact seat covers for the JL. Mine is a 2-door Sport S model. I found this thread while trying to figure out how to install the rear vertical seat cover. As it turns out, all you have to do is lift straight up on the headrest while it is in the "up" position. Give them a firm snatch, they pull right off.
:giggle:

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Glad that you made it work! Unfortunately, mine don’t come off. I tried everything but take the whole seat apart.... maybe it’s somehning on the rubicon?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Pic or it didn't happen ;)

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Sure, with a sawzall.
Thats no joke. I'm tempted to do it because its a royal pain in the ass. What really worries me is my daughter has the bigger setback booster and her head dangles if she naps in the back. The rear seat designs SUCK for child seats. I can't wait til they are no longer needed.

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Thats no joke. I'm tempted to do it because its a royal pain in the ass. What really worries me is my daughter has the bigger setback booster and her head dangles if she naps in the back. The rear seat designs SUCK for child seats. I can't wait til they are no longer needed.
Totally agree with this. I ended up going back to a really strong booster (diono) and adding some support foam on the back so the chair sits straight and really secure. My daughters are on the small side so they can still use those chairs.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree with this. I ended up going back to a really strong booster (diono) and adding some support foam on the back so the chair sits straight and really secure. My daughters are on the small side so they can still use those chairs.
Good tips. These headrests annoy me. We ordered the Diono's just the other day for this vehicle because they are 16 inches wide. And I figured the headrests would pop off. And, well here I am in this thread an hour later.

We've made it work, but I feel like these would be more secure without the headrests.

I might Sawzall mine. I've got a 14 month old, 4yr old and 5yr old. So going to be in boosters/seats for some time.

IMG_7319.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I have a very similar setup.... but my girls are 7,5 and 5 (the 3 chairs facing forward) the one in the middle sits perfect, the other 2 have the wedges I used to support the back.... hoping to be out of this in a couple of years. I do like how the harness keeps them “attached to the car” unlike a regular seat belt so they don’t start wondering the way the do in my wife’s SUV and It really works for them when we are on trails... they even take long naps bouncing around.

jmduhh

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending.
i pulled the cover most the way off the driver side rear seat this evening investigating this problem. There's a T45 in the seat crotch that needs to be removed to go any further. Looks like two torx bolts under the headrest, on the front of the seat, to remove the headrest assembly. The cable has a connection as well. The two torx bolts could probably be accessed through the headrest slots, although the cover comes off pretty quick with the zippers and all. i'll share a link to a crappy video in a few mins i tried to take

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anyone come up with a solution? I just moved my daughter from a convertible seat to a booster style with a tall back and the instructions are pretty clear that it should lay flat against the back of the seat. So annoying.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Anyone come up with a solution? I just moved my daughter from a convertible seat to a booster style with a tall back and the instructions are pretty clear that it should lay flat against the back of the seat. So annoying.
Yup. Its amazing how much lack of thinking went into these JL's. I too struggle with this and honestly it has made having my kids in the rear seats become a miserable experience. Luckily they are now getting tot he age where they just need the regular booster.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue but then read the instructions on the booster seat and we ultimately ended up removing the high back so it is now just a regular booster bottom.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had the same issue but then read the instructions on the booster seat and we ultimately ended up removing the high back so it is now just a regular booster bottom.
Thanks. I'd like to keep the top if possible.
Sponsored