Rear headrest removal

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I’ve seen people interested in this in JK’s and older version. I just got my JLU and I’m having trouble putting baby chairs in the back due to the headrest.

Would really appreciate anyone that can provide some insights.... seems very hard to do and don’t want to go into boosters yet... and want the little cargo very secure!
Sponsored

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Same issue here, I have 3 highback boosters coming from amazon to see what ones fit the best. the angle of the headrest doesn't allow the car seat to sit flush. I wish the headrest folded back, not forward or both.

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Same issue here, I have 3 highback boosters coming from amazon to see what ones fit the best. the angle of the headrest doesn't allow the car seat to sit flush. I wish the headrest folded back, not forward or both.
Exactly my problem. I have seen lots of videos from older version but they don’t help in our case...

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't have mine yet, but---since it's a "FLOPPING HEADREST", it won't have a quick release clip and is probably very similar to the JK rear seat headrests--

I'm afraid that the seat back covering will have to be removed and just below the headrest is a 3 bolt fulcrum/shaft mount for each headrest and there's a cable that goes thru that attachment, down to the outside base of each seat--it is attached with a "twist lock" cable ferrule----

Now,unless you can get some idea/backup assurance that that's the way they operate, I wouldn't goto all the trouble of removing the seat covers, cause it's a real job to get them BACK !

Good luck

JIMBO

Sponsored

JimKrrk

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Rubicon
On my 2011 JKU I was able to disconnect the return spring through the slot. The headrests still lock upright if you push them up after laying the seat forward to unlatch the headrest. I have no idea if the JLU is the same setup.

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Thank you all for the feedback. Hope someone can figure this out.... I’ve already spent a few hours at it with no success. I have the chairs installed but since they don’t sit back completely I’m not confident this is as safe as it should.

The amazon option is great.... but I have 6 cars seats already and was hoping not to buy more... the ones I have installed are diono - nice, strong and narrow.... it’s just a matter of height.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Just a thought, can’t you remove it?

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
This is no help to you now but I have twins and can tell you that one of the happier days of your everyday life will be chucking those things In the trash for the last time. Good luck on this issue. We did fine in JK.
Well.... I’m sure that will be a very happy day indeed.... I have twins too! So my 4 door JLU fits 2 adults and 3 car seats on the back!

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm sure anything can be done, but the owners manual says that only the center headrest is removable.

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
I would like to know as well. I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon and in the user manual, it shows that the rear headrests are able to fold forward to compensate for the open space. They fold forward (only 90 degrees when the seats are folded down, but NOT what it illustrates within the manual. I should be able to put them all the way forward to place my car seat in. Does anyone else see what I am talking about?

OP
OP
AP_Rubi_18

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Seems I cannot seem to find a way to take them out, I’ve been looking at booster options.... don’t want to go that route because it gets pricey when you have to buy 3... but the IMMI go hybrid booster seems like a great option.
Sponsored