Sponsored

Rear headrest removal

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
The real question is what is the answer you want worth? Yes they can be removed. It is a pain. It's a real pain in the ass if you want the post gone also. To get the head rest off you have to take the fabric off. There are two clips on the inside that hold it to the post. Pull the clips and they come right off. This was enough for my seats to sit flat and not ruin the leather on the head rest. If you want the post gone you will have to take seat fabric off un bolt the folding mechanism and unhook cable. You all but have to take the seat out to accomplish this.
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The real question is what is the answer you want worth? Yes they can be removed. It is a pain. It's a real pain in the ass if you want the post gone also. To get the head rest off you have to take the fabric off. There are two clips on the inside that hold it to the post. Pull the clips and they come right off. This was enough for my seats to sit flat and not ruin the leather on the head rest. If you want the post gone you will have to take seat fabric off un bolt the folding mechanism and unhook cable. You all but have to take the seat out to accomplish this.
Great idea. I didn’t even think about that. I know you referred to it being a real pain, but I wasn’t sure if you were just talking about removing everything including the posts or if it was also a pain just removing the headrest.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
The head rest are not bad. The j hook on the fabric is just tight and in a hard place to get to.

thewristfund

First Name
Alastor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I will update when I do mine.

I installed the rear seat recline kit and I still need these head rests gone!

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...adrest-removal-process-from-fca-manual.22237/
THIS DOESNT WORK, the plate on the back of the rear bench seat is riveted to the frame (must be different on the gladiator), there is no way to access the headrest mechanism without cutting off rivets, that was one step too far for me lol, I DID however get the headrest cushions off and that allowed the carseats to now sit against the seats, i will post pictures in the next comment

Sponsored

thewristfund

First Name
Alastor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Looks a bit odd with these 4 posts sticking up, you can see before and after headrest cushion removal.

To remove the cushion you just need to undo the cover at the bottom of the head rest, then there are 2 spring clips holding the cushion in place, remove those and you just pull off thie cushions, no damage. Pics attached if everything, sorry it's not organized I'm rushing in between things at work.

Note that I have the recline kit installed, if you didn't do this, your results won't be as good.

IMG_20200220_111538.jpg

IMG_20200220_110851.jpg

IMG_20200220_111311.jpg

IMG_20200220_111049.jpg

IMG_20200220_110829.jpg

IMG_20200220_110636.jpg

IMG_20200220_105708.jpg

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Note that I have the recline kit installed, if you didn't do this, your results won't be as good.
Won't be as good as far as the booster seat not contacting the headrest?
I agree it does look funny, but at least they're black and not silver. It's actually really weird that they're not, like Jeep knew we'd be forced to do it. If I go this route I'll probably find something kind of fabric to go over them. You've got enough going on with that cargo net that it's not so noticeable.

thewristfund

First Name
Alastor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Won't be as good as far as the booster seat not contacting the headrest?
I agree it does look funny, but at least they're black and not silver. It's actually really weird that they're not, like Jeep knew we'd be forced to do it. If I go this route I'll probably find something kind of fabric to go over them. You've got enough going on with that cargo net that it's not so noticeable.
The posts are actually a bit flexible so it could be that you would have your car seat sitting flush against the seat without the recline kit but I couldn't tell you that for sure because I have the recline kit installed, your idea about covering them with fabric is not bad I could even just put a knitted hat on it and call it a day

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The posts are actually a bit flexible so it could be that you would have your car seat sitting flush against the seat without the recline kit but I couldn't tell you that for sure because I have the recline kit installed, your idea about covering them with fabric is not bad I could even just put a knitted hat on it and call it a day
I was seriously thinking of a knitted hat when I was typing it. haha
Thanks for sharing your results and methods. I'll try it out this weekend.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
If you want the post off you have to remove the seat fabric all of the way off the seat. You can then access the head rest mechanism from the front of the seat. Do not remove rear panel by drilling out rivets. You would still not be able to get to it.

Sponsored

BeepBeep4x4

First Name
Dem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler