Sponsored

Rear ended JL? How safe?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
How safe are JLs if they are rear ended at moderate to high speeds? Not really talking about low parking lot speeds. For example, you're sitting at a traffic light and someone rear ends you bc they are distracted on their phone....
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What are you rear ended buy? Jeeps are body on frame, many have steel bumpers, receiver hitches, etc. Even in a 2 door the front seats are a good distance of high strength steel away from the rear bumper. A civic hitting you at 50mph will hurt for sure, but you should be mostly uninjured. A big rig on the freeway who doesn’t see that traffic stopped at 60+, doesn’t matter what you drive, i’s time to meet your maker.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I’d say pretty safe. We got rear ended with the same exact situation as you described in our 2003 bone stock Wrangler by a brand new 2015 GMC Sierra and all it did was push our spare in a tad (our tailgate still worked). Completely demolished the front clip on the Sierra. The crazy guy was so mad and was swearing and didn’t even ask if we were ok (just concerned about his new truck). My wife was driving and simply stalled it at the light. I’d say he hit us at about 10 mph (maybe not as fast as you’re wondering). I said to the guy, “look...we’re in a hurry and I can fix our Jeep easily (I actually didn’t even end up fixing it as it wasn’t bad) and your obviously at fault, so let’s just part ways.” He agreed and we both drove off. The slime then called the police on us as the officer showed up at our house and called us later in the day as he was trying to blame us for rolling into him. Dang...what nerve people have. We didn’t get in trouble as I told the police exactly what happened and thankfully the officer was a good one.

Sorry...ranting. Lesson learned...don’t trust anyone and take lots of pictures if this happens to you. Just trying to help the guy out and he stabs us in the back.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Historically, occupants of unibody vehicles have faired better in high speed collisions. That's because a good modern unibody is built with protection of the cab and outer crumple zones to absorb energy. But that's a huge generalization. Usually, the issue of a body bolted to a frame is the body shears the bolts and the body is often not built to deal with collisions separately from the frame. But this is a generalization and body on frame vehicles have evolved too, so actual data is the only real answer.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Very safe. Don’t ask how I know.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
How safe are JLs if they are rear ended at moderate to high speeds? Not really talking about low parking lot speeds. For example, you're sitting at a traffic light and someone rear ends you bc they are distracted on their phone....
Get the Mopar Rear Steel Bumpers. Thank me later.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
DEPENDS how big you are. Just make SURE your pumpkin is BELOW the sound bar OR you are up close enough to the dash so you don't whack it. I had to "fix" my seat to lower me below the death zone.

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
This happened to me. I have the steel bumper and was staionary at a red light. Will post the damage when I get home.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Get the Mopar Rear Steel Bumpers. Thank me later.
All the bumpers on JLs are steel. The "plastic bumpers" have an ugly structural steel beam under the decorative plastic cover, built to meet the same federal standards as the "steel" JL bumpers.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I was once hit by a camero in a ford f250. I drove off the camero.

Don't worry, the person lived somehow and it was one of those ugly 80s cameros.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It really just boils down to how you look at it. We are driving battering rams on wheels. In most instances, we'll drive home and the other vehicle gets towed over a scrap scale. Therein lies the flip side of that coin. A battering ram doesn't absorb energy, it transfers it.

Another similar analogy would be if the jeep were a dead blow hammer, we are the shotpeen within it.

Fortunately, out of all the reported crashes here, the Jeeps occupants seem to make out a hell of a lot better than the crash test dummies in the official reports. Knock on wood, that good roll continues. No pun intended.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
better to drive an up armored Panzer, and be hit in the arse by one of those lovely safe cars with crumple zones, use their crumple zones to absorb the impact while you turn to your spouse and ask, did something just hit us??? Wifey replies, yah, some dumbarse face bookin just rear ended us, I think?
Sponsored