Rattling upon acceleration

Mshxri92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR 2019
Hi guys!
just registered to add to this thread.
I have 2019 JLUR and I have the same rattling on low RPM.
im from Saudi and the only gas we have is 91 and 95 octane.
I have noticed this rattling sound at 15K kilometers.
I was using 91 Octane since day one as it was the lowest option we have over here in Saudi Arabia.
I went to the dealership tested the car and the Engineer there DID hear the rattling sound and claim its normal and because it is too hot and dry here in Saudi and claimed that in the east side of Saudi where its very humid it will never happen. Also, he recommended to start using 95 Octane.

just want to share that upgrade to 91 octane will never solve this issue.
Sponsored

Samwr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi guys!
just registered to add to this thread.
I have 2019 JLUR and I have the same rattling on low RPM.
im from Saudi and the only gas we have is 91 and 95 octane.
I have noticed this rattling sound at 15K kilometers.
I was using 91 Octane since day one as it was the lowest option we have over here in Saudi Arabia.
I went to the dealership tested the car and the Engineer there DID hear the rattling sound and claim its normal and because it is too hot and dry here in Saudi and claimed that in the east side of Saudi where its very humid it will never happen. Also, he recommended to start using 95 Octane.

just want to share that upgrade to 91 octane will never solve this issue.
Lol dude. I live on the East coast(Dammam). I have the same darn issue. Itā€™s getting more frequent.
to the point where It is ruining my driving experience. Iā€™m at 42K km now.

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
@JeepCares we ever going to fix this or just let them fail out of warranty? Seems like a tune issue so why not fix the tune. Jeep owners dont care about MPG or we wouldnt buy jeeps fix this already.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares we ever going to fix this or just let them fail out of warranty? Seems like a tune issue so why not fix the tune. Jeep owners dont care about MPG or we wouldnt buy jeeps fix this already.
Thanks for the tag, Jwisdom. If you send us a private message, we can dig in on this further. Thanks.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Samwr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
For anyone trying to replicate the noise. Iā€™ve found a way to do it on my 2020 Wrangler.

Park the car, pull the hand break. Put left foot on the break. Put car into gear/drive. Slowly press the accelerator until the engine starts to rev between 1/1.5k rpm.
Youā€™ll start hearing the same exact noise.
mines gotten to the point where I can hear it 80% of the time while driving. Itā€™s making me go insane and ruining my driving experience.

Sponsored

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Iā€™ve been noticing this rattle with acceleration lately that matches what has been explained here. I always (except when traveling) use QuikTrip 87 octane. I changed up my routine this past week and stopped by Caseyā€™s instead and filled up with their 87 octane (I intended to get 91 but decided last minute to first try 87 from another source). Low and behold, I havenā€™t had the noise in 3 days. Iā€™m thinking something is off with QTā€™s 87 octane over the past several weeks. Iā€™ve heard so so things about Caseyā€™s fuel over the years so I probably wonā€™t make them my routine stop (and their location is the opposite direction for me) but I think Iā€™ll take a break from QT for awhile.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Took the JLUR in for a warranted transmission fluid leak on December 30, and remembered to ask about the rattle I sometimes hear under the hood.

Rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, and when it's warm, there's a bad rattle. When it's cold no rattle, when I use premium fuel, it's lessened.

Service Tech heard it, and immediately said "that's a cam /lifter problem, very common, and a known warranty issue".

Received confirmation on January 3, that the lifters had collapsed, and had worn down the cam, flooding the motor with metal shavings.

Local dealer submitted a Warranty claim for a new motor, that was finally approved by Jeep. I expect to get the Jeep back by end of month.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
W
Took the JLUR in for a warranted transmission fluid leak on December 30, and remembered to ask about the rattle I sometimes hear under the hood.

Rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, and when it's warm, there's a bad rattle. When it's cold no rattle, when I use premium fuel, it's lessened.

Service Tech heard it, and immediately said "that's a cam /lifter problem, very common, and a known warranty issue".

Received confirmation on January 3, that the lifters had collapsed, and had worn down the cam, flooding the motor with metal shavings.

Local dealer submitted a Warranty claim for a new motor, that was finally approved by Jeep. I expect to get the Jeep back by end of month.
Was your rattle more a tick that increase with rpm?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Nope, it was a full on rattle inside the motor, when I revved, between about 1500 and 3000.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Iā€™ve been noticing this rattle with acceleration lately that matches what has been explained here. I always (except when traveling) use QuikTrip 87 octane. I changed up my routine this past week and stopped by Caseyā€™s instead and filled up with their 87 octane (I intended to get 91 but decided last minute to first try 87 from another source). Low and behold, I havenā€™t had the noise in 3 days. Iā€™m thinking something is off with QTā€™s 87 octane over the past several weeks. Iā€™ve heard so so things about Caseyā€™s fuel over the years so I probably wonā€™t make them my routine stop (and their location is the opposite direction for me) but I think Iā€™ll take a break from QT for awhile.

Hi there!

If either of you decide to visit a dealer and need our support, or just want to discuss further, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Hi there!

If either of you decide to visit a dealer and need our support, or just want to discuss further, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks, Kate. Appreciate it. I am working with a dealer, and they've been great. If I need support I will absolutely reach out.

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
I was having another look through my owners manual & went cover to cover looking for something else when on page 307 I found something interesting which I think shows that Jeep is well aware of the issue (since its mentioned in the owners manual). Bear in mind that this is the manual from an Australian sold Wrangler so octane ratings will be slightly different due to how our octane levels are calculated but it's the 2nd paragraph that is the interesting information that I think is relevant to the issue we are all experiencing.

20220317_105542.jpg

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Local Government Official
I finally traded for a 2.0t and couldn't be happier.