Rattling upon acceleration

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just got my 2019 back today from the dealer for the steering TSB and some other services. I mentioned the rattling noise I was hearing on mine as well to see if there was something that could be done about it, or at least get it documented. I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to let you know they found a TSB for "engine noise" and performed a software update. I don't have any more details than that. The invoice doesn't have a TSB# or any specific identification for it. They told me about it over the phone as well, but I was at work and my mind was in 25 other places. It may be worth asking about. My drive home isn't very far and I didn't hear the rattling noise, but it's also cooler out now so the top is on. I mainly heard it when the weather was warmer and driving it open.
Sponsored

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Alright guys.... I took the nuclear option and traded in my 2019 Wrangler Manual Sport in the hope that a new model would get rid of the noise. I had planned to lift it but decided I would rather have a Rubicon with 33s then risk modding a Jeep with a problematic motor. I have had my new vehicle for less than a week and just finished the break in period. ~350 miles and the engine is making the same noise with 87 Octane.

Given my experience, I think it is safe to say this is a "feature" of the engine, especially with a manual. I'm surprised and very, very disappointed. At this point, I'm on the fence - do I embrace the pain and accept the noise as a "Jeep Thing" or go back to 93 and pay through my wallet??

Not sure what next steps are in that regard but hopefully this post provides some reassurance to you - this noise is normal.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Yeah, mine does it, since I bought it. I hear it every day because I park in a parking garage, which has a highwalled entry ramp that magnifies the sound. I’ve heard the exact same sound in other manual transmission vehicles over the years, always when trying to pull at a low rpm in too high a gear. If i try climb the ramp in 2nd it rattles, but won’t rattle in 1st. I can understand why it is hard to diagnose because it sounds more ‘rattley‘ than a traditional engine knock. Fyi @JeepCares
Update... Have run high octane for past few fill-ups and the rattle seems to have disappeared.

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
I just got my 2019 back today from the dealer for the steering TSB and some other services. I mentioned the rattling noise I was hearing on mine as well to see if there was something that could be done about it, or at least get it documented. I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to let you know they found a TSB for "engine noise" and performed a software update. I don't have any more details than that. The invoice doesn't have a TSB# or any specific identification for it. They told me about it over the phone as well, but I was at work and my mind was in 25 other places. It may be worth asking about. My drive home isn't very far and I didn't hear the rattling noise, but it's also cooler out now so the top is on. I mainly heard it when the weather was warmer and driving it open.

I got my 18 JLUR back in may and started to hear this iusse and found this thread. tried the higher octane with little success it helped some but still was there, went back to 87 and it is much worse. Offroad on obstacles is terrible. Have you gotten this fixed through your dealer TSB?? Want to get this fixed before i start to mod and the dealer blames that next. @JeepCares Is there a fix here yet? dont need to waste time at the dealer for excuses fix this already

Sponsored

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
This is the only info I have. Not sure if it is applicable but can't hurt to ask the dealer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling upon acceleration 20201029_205636
And this has solved the problem for you as well. No more rattling noise when accelerating?

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this has solved the problem for you as well. No more rattling noise when accelerating?
Like I said above, it's hard to tell now that it's colder and driving it closed up. I don't hear it now. Looks like next weekend we'll have some 70's again and I'll probably take the soft top windows out one last time before winter and listen.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I got my 18 JLUR back in may and started to hear this iusse and found this thread. tried the higher octane with little success it helped some but still was there, went back to 87 and it is much worse. Offroad on obstacles is terrible. Have you gotten this fixed through your dealer TSB?? Want to get this fixed before i start to mod and the dealer blames that next. @JeepCares Is there a fix here yet? dont need to waste time at the dealer for excuses fix this already
Hello @Jwisdom
Please know that as our team is not mechanically trained, we do rely on the dealer diagnosis in order to assist. If you decide to have your concerns addressed by your dealer, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for an additional layer of service support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

tpmckay2

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Buzze Do you have the 3.6 or the 2.0? Is there a TSB number anywhere on that dealer report that other dealers could reference?

Sponsored

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Buzze Do you have the 3.6 or the 2.0? Is there a TSB number anywhere on that dealer report that other dealers could reference?
I have a 3.6. I took a screenshot of the line from my invoice and posted above. That's really all the info I have on it.

Vanillacon

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 3.6. I took a screenshot of the line from my invoice and posted above. That's really all the info I have on it.
I dropped mine off today at the dealership and shared this information with the Service Advisor. Is there any way you can call the dealer to determine the TSB number they applied? I'm hoping my guy can find something. It would be nice to not have the motor knock! Thanks.

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
I dropped mine off today at the dealership and shared this information with the Service Advisor. Is there any way you can call the dealer to determine the TSB number they applied? I'm hoping my guy can find something. It would be nice to not have the motor knock! Thanks.
I just took my Jlur to the dealer. Dealer i choose was amazing as well. Got in line for the steering TSB without issue at all and told them about the engine noise, they found no noise (running 91 octane currently, i even drove with a tech and didnt hear it. Of course lol) i simple showed them the screenshot of the TSB from @Buzze and they ran the that TSB. The other tech there said its known by jeep but no real fix for the issue except updating the computer at this time.

Vanillacon

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just took my Jlur to the dealer. Dealer i choose was amazing as well. Got in line for the steering TSB without issue at all and told them about the engine noise, they found no noise (running 91 octane currently, i even drove with a tech and didnt hear it. Of course lol) i simple showed them the screenshot of the TSB from @Buzze and they ran the that TSB. The other tech there said its known by jeep but no real fix for the issue except updating the computer at this time.
Let the forum know if you hear less knocking. Last night, I added some 89 octane before I read about the potential TSB. I couldn't hear the knocking as I approached the dealer (of course). I sure hope they find a valid TSB.

Thanks!

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
Put 87 octane back in yesterday after the TSB they did. (Which was acctually for the fan not engine noise.) Knock is back. Guess im running 91 until they figure this out
Sponsored