Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The fuel quality/octane won't help I just evacuated 6oz of oil out of my catch can yesterday in a month (2k miles) of use.
Sponsored

kwenzel

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes, please post it here!
They are going to give me a copy when I go to pick it up later—I did get this from the SA:

"The technician heard the engine noise you described, and compared it to a similar vehicle. They are both making the same noise, and he sees no faults in the system. This noise is considered a normal characteristic of this vehicle."

...which I feel as though I've read somewhere before...

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
They are going to give me a copy when I go to pick it up later—I did get this from the SA:

"The technician heard the engine noise you described, and compared it to a similar vehicle. They are both making the same noise, and he sees no faults in the system. This noise is considered a normal characteristic of this vehicle."

...which I feel as though I've read somewhere before...
LOL yep. What a joke.

kwenzel

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The document wasn't quite what she described on the phone—just says 87 is fine, light knocking sounds from the engine are not a cause for concern. I'm sure plenty of people have seen this one but attaching it anyway. I was prepared to be incredulous; now I'm back to annoyed.

oCejXWxlR5wFUkbtdSP52t-DQ=w1735-h558-no?authuser=0.jpg

Sponsored

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I don't want to be premature but I filled my Jeep up with 93 last night, drove a few miles (~15) and didn't hear any knock at all! I even tried to lug the engine a little (which is when the knocking would start) and never heard it. Hopefully that solves it for me and I can move onto the myriad of other small problems it has lol

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Not uncommon on high compression NA engines running on mediocre octane fuel.

It's how you get max power out of an engine over a wide variety of fuel quality. Advance timing until it starts to knock, then back off, and repeat.

In other words it's designed to work that way and not much you can do except put better gas in it.

This is why the 3.6L + FI is a touchy combination as that light knock becomes bent rods with a couple PSI of boost.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
Not uncommon on high compression NA engines running on mediocre octane fuel.

It's how you get max power out of an engine over a wide variety of fuel quality. Advance timing until it starts to knock, then back off, and repeat.

In other words it's designed to work that way and not much you can do except put better gas in it.

This is why the 3.6L + FI is a touchy combination as that light knock becomes bent rods with a couple PSI of boost.
I just don't understand why they don't tell you that 93 octane is recommended.

Hau82

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon unlimited
No premium fuel will end with this misfire problem. When you start hearing the misfire check your engine coolant temp, it will be over 210 degree that is when the air/fuel ratio is running too lean (for fuel economy). Also the oil that gets to the combustion chamber through the intake (recirculated oil) will cause the fuel octane to degrade and will form carbon deposits inside the pistons that in time will heat up increasing the risk of hots spots that will cause that the lean degraded fuel to preignite.

thiskneeguy

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I'm using 93 octane and still hear the knock from time to time. Not nearly as bad as with 87, but it's still there. Can also sometimes feel lug at the speeds and RPM already noted in this thread.

Looks like I'll be switching to the 4xe when it comes out...

Sponsored

Hau82

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon unlimited
My Rubicon its been at the dealership for the past 2 days!! After the new Steering gear bulletin was done to it, the steering developed a strange hissing noise inside the cabin as if it were static every time I move the steering to any direction. But the main problem happened tuesday, after several months and about 12k miles since the first time it happened and several visits to the dealer dealing with the misfire problem the BIG problem happened! My engine suddenly lost power and started to badly misfire going uphill and the cel flashing, after that I pulled over and turned the engine off and after a couple of minutes re-start the engine back again and as soon as I gave it gas the power was lost and the cel started to flash again. I took it in to the dealership the next day, everything was operating "normal" except for the CEL on and the auto start/stop light on too. The technician asked me again what type of fuel I've been using, DIESEL I told him lol (frustrating answer) since that is irrelevant when I have been using premium fuel since the first time the misfire happened at around 6.5k miles (costo 93, shell or mobil). So, I haven't received a call back from the dealership yet, the only thing they told me is that the computer was throwing a P0300 code (Multiple cylinder misfire). Heres a short video of what happened. @JeepCares

Jeep Wrangler JL Rattling upon acceleration 20200908_213322

Attachments

Last edited:

JeepPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm having the same issue with my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon. The noise started at approx 2,500 miles. I filled up with Premium yesterday and it seems to have eliminated the sound. I will report back when I have more information.

sherpa1

First Name
passang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jl sport unlimited
Mine have same problem, rattling noice when acceleration around 18mph till 20mph above that normal

Beerson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
A friend of mine has a 2020 JL with the same issue on her 3.6. The dealer, at first, told her she was probably putting the wrong oil in the car, which is false. They have "duplicated the problem" finally and are replacing the cam phasers. I'll report back as soon as she finds something out.

SteppJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
US Army
A friend of mine has a 2020 JL with the same issue on her 3.6. The dealer, at first, told her she was probably putting the wrong oil in the car, which is false. They have "duplicated the problem" finally and are replacing the cam phasers. I'll report back as soon as she finds something out.
Following...
Sponsored