Rain pooling in Hard Top gutters

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The other night it had rained while my Jeep was parked (flat). My windows were up. When I got back and opened the door, some water drizzled out from the front of the hard top "gutter" and onto my all-weather floor mat. I didn't mind too much, and it's not as bad as some stories I've read, but it got me thinking - why did they end the gutter right there? Furthermore, why don't they just plug the front of these gutters, so water can only run out the back (unless it overflows like in a downpour).

I was thinking I could squish a little black silicone at the very front of the gutter track, and it would block water from drizzling out like that in the front. Anyone tried this yet?? Am I missing something??

IMG_0675.jpg
Sponsored

Armando11611

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The other night it had rained while my Jeep was parked (flat). My windows were up. When I got back and opened the door, some water drizzled out from the front of the hard top "gutter" and onto my all-weather floor mat. I didn't mind too much, and it's not as bad as some stories I've read, but it got me thinking - why did they end the gutter right there? Furthermore, why don't they just plug the front of these gutters, so water can only run out the back (unless it overflows like in a downpour).

I was thinking I could squish a little black silicone at the very front of the gutter track, and it would block water from drizzling out like that in the front. Anyone tried this yet?? Am I missing something??

IMG_0675.jpg
Someone should invent and make a gutter extension from the gutters end to the front windshield area or just beyond the door frame...would be a small piece and could use 3M tape to adhere.

Armando11611

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Someone should invent and make a gutter extension from the gutters end to the front windshield area or just beyond the door frame...would be a small piece and could use 3M tape to adhere.
Scratch that.....freedom tops. Damn thought I had something there.

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter

IMG_0675.jpg
It actually comes from the front window track, not the side track. Its been an issue for some time now in the jeeps.

Sponsored

alrola

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR

IMG_0675.jpg

I saw it but someone used "SUGRU" Mouldable Glue and put a tiny square at the end.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-freedom-top-gutter-block.20460/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rain-gutter-extensions-block.9933/
Jeep Wrangler JL Rain pooling in Hard Top gutters {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Rain pooling in Hard Top gutters {filename}

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, though it doesn't rain a lot where in am in Phoenix, AZ, over the last couple months it has, and that's one flaw that is really annoying, is that the runoff from those gutters comes right into the cabin and drips all over the place - didn't happen on my previous JKU.

Never looked this up in the forum so glad I saw this and then the other threads about it so I can try figure something out to prevent that.

OP
OP
IPvFletch

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely one of the top 10 “it’s a Jeep thing” items
Our JLUR was an impulse purchase (long boring story) but I learned all about "Jeep things" only after buying. Of course we've been having a wetter than usual winter in SoCal (I know... still a lot less than most folk) and I think about that rain gutter every time. Doesn't bug me though, though that's one I thought would for sure... but then again neither does the noise, rough around the edges demeanor, or the adventurous ride and handling. Far and away the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned (and there've been a few).

Not sure about blocking the front... it will hold water and I'd prefer it drain. Stock jeeps have a slight nose down attitude so it will always run forward. And if it's not draining, all that water that would normally go out the one spot in the front just might come over the edges wherever it wants.

I have seen rain gutter extension tubes mounted on the a pillar for the JK's, but haven't seen any for the JL... though I'm guessing at some point someone will.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Our JLUR was an impulse purchase (long boring story) but I learned all about "Jeep things" only after buying. Of course we've been having a wetter than usual winter in SoCal (I know... still a lot less than most folk) and I think about that rain gutter every time. Doesn't bug me though, though that's one I thought would for sure... but then again neither does the noise, rough around the edges demeanor, or the adventurous ride and handling. Far and away the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned (and there've been a few).

Not sure about blocking the front... it will hold water and I'd prefer it drain. Stock jeeps have a slight nose down attitude so it will always run forward. And if it's not draining, all that water that would normally go out the one spot in the front just might come over the edges wherever it wants.

I have seen rain gutter extension tubes mounted on the a pillar for the JK's, but haven't seen any for the JL... though I'm guessing at some point someone will.
I live in Florida so I’m no stranger to rain. I’ve just learned to ignore it

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve gotten used to running my finger down the gutter to push the water out before I open the door.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Guess I'll toss in my 2 cents. After a pile of snow, was driving around and the snow on the roof is melting. Opened the door and there goes the drip of water. I think the reason the gutter ends where it does is because of the folding window. What they could have done is put a drain hole that would feed to the drain route on the front edge of the door. But maybe with the removable hard top that would not have been practical.
Sponsored