Emergency rain top

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there something you can buy for the JL, like an emergency rain top? Similar to the shade top, but that is water proof. That way when you are out and about (oot and aboot for you northerners) with the top off, you can whip out a rain coat and strap it to the roll cage. I searched the forums for "rain" in the subject lines, but nothing showed up.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Is there something you can buy for the JL, like an emergency rain top? Similar to the shade top, but that is water proof. That way when you are out and about (oot and aboot for you northerners) with the top off, you can whip out a rain coat and strap it to the roll cage. I searched the forums for "rain" in the subject lines, but nothing showed up.
So with this question I'm assuming you've gone with the hard top only, and this is the closest I can find, but its for the JK. I haven't seen too many JL specific products yet, but I'm willing to bet something like this is in the works for the JL.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...d7b8p67eUFP3e2DJeXpz6LnryDjjD8RRoC9e4QAvD_BwE

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
This was my solution with the JK.

1A5hWybl.jpg

Ill probably do something similar with the JL (pull carpet, doors, and top in summer and run a safari/ bikini.)

Yes.....it is essentially just a safari top, BUT, I never had a huge issue of being soaking wet, even in storms. When in motion, almost no rain came in at all, just a bit of mist. Not having the carpet in was a big help too (so were vinyl seats), it would just dry on its own. I also kept a small towel in between the seats to wipe down with after a rainy drive too. This was how I drove my JK from may-sept. I honestly never had an issue with being substantially wet on the way to work.

This was also a period in my life when I worked road construction.....so being a little damp or dusty didn't bother me. Id imagine this setup to be unusable if you work in an office.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone found an emergency rain top or rain cover for the JLU yet? This would be used when it rains unexpectedly when driving around with the hard top off, or over the soft top if the windows are left at home.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Has anyone found an emergency rain top or rain cover for the JLU yet? This would be used when it rains unexpectedly when driving around with the hard top off, or over the soft top if the windows are left at home.
Just so i'm clear... You want to take the windows out of your soft top and leave them at home and bring something else with you incase of rains.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just so i'm clear... You want to take the windows out of your soft top and leave them at home and bring something else with you incase of rains.
Two scenarios:

1. No top is on at all, no soft top, no hard top. Need an emergency rain cover. Would pull over, put emergency rain top on, wait for rain to pass. Most of the time it is difficult to find a covered placed to get out of the rain. Also, would put it on when going to a movie, etc. and it could start raining. Weather forecast sucks. Example, yesterday, said zero percent chance of rain at 1:00pm. It poured for 35 minutes from 12:50pm-ish to about 1:25pm-ish.

2. Sometimes, will have the soft top on, sometime no doors, 4 people in the vehicle, dog and other stuff (food, cooloer, etc.) in the back. No room for window storage and don't want them to get F'd up/scratched. Emergency rain top is small enough to fit (attach to roll bars, etc.) where the windows won't. And emergency rain top would cover the doors as well. And obviously, can't bring the doors if it is in a doors-off mode.

The main reason for the emergency rain top is for #1 above. #2 is a nice to have, but would be more rare. Same original question applies though...

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Two scenarios:

1. No top is on at all, no soft top, no hard top. Need an emergency rain cover. Would pull over, put emergency rain top on, wait for rain to pass. Most of the time it is difficult to find a covered placed to get out of the rain. Also, would put it on when going to a movie, etc. and it could start raining. Weather forecast sucks. Example, yesterday, said zero percent chance of rain at 1:00pm. It poured for 35 minutes from 12:50pm-ish to about 1:25pm-ish.

2. Sometimes, will have the soft top on, sometime no doors, 4 people in the vehicle, dog and other stuff (food, cooloer, etc.) in the back. No room for window storage and don't want them to get F'd up/scratched. Emergency rain top is small enough to fit (attach to roll bars, etc.) where the windows won't. And emergency rain top would cover the doors as well. And obviously, can't bring the doors if it is in a doors-off mode.

The main reason for the emergency rain top is for #1 above. #2 is a nice to have, but would be more rare. Same original question applies though...
In these scenarios you are not driving with the protection on. MOPAR makes a cab cover, but that one will not go over the soft top, up or down. I originally ordered that one, but before opening it was introduced to raingearcovers.com offering. Their trail cover will go over the soft top in the down position and comes with a storage bag. Another forum member has posted pictures of their’s. Both of these cover the doors as well. Obviously, neither of these will work if you are wanting something that you can put on in the middle of a drive and continue on your way.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
In these scenarios you are not driving with the protection on. MOPAR makes a cab cover, but that one will not go over the soft top, up or down. I originally ordered that one, but before opening it was introduced to raingearcovers.com offering. Their trail cover will go over the soft top in the down position and comes with a storage bag. Another forum member has posted pictures of their’s. Both of these cover the doors as well. Obviously, neither of these will work if you are wanting something that you can put on in the middle of a drive and continue on your way.
This one, right? https://www.raingearcovers.com/product-page/unlimited-4-dooor-jl-2018-trail-cover Odd they don't have any pictures. I tried the search feature in the JL Forum, searched on raingearcovers, raingearcovers.com, etc. and only found this thread. Do you know where the forum member posted the picture of their's?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
This one, right? https://www.raingearcovers.com/product-page/unlimited-4-dooor-jl-2018-trail-cover Odd they don't have any pictures. I tried the search feature in the JL Forum, searched on raingearcovers, raingearcovers.com, etc. and only found this thread. Do you know where the forum member posted the picture of their's?
Yes, that is the one. I received it, but haven’t opened it yet. Here is the link:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-480#post-353092

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, that is the one. I received it, but haven’t opened it yet. Here is the link:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-480#post-353092
Thanks for the fast reply and great info. Those pictures help a lot. It looks like you can still get inside of it while waiting out the rain (a good thing). I live in a very raining climate, thus have to always plan on unexpected rain. Are you sure it won't fit over the soft top if it is in the up position? That would suck to have to move the soft top in the down position during a heavy rain in order to put the cover over it. It would get a lot of rain inside during the exchange. I still will probably order it, but that would be the icing on the cake if it would fit over the soft top in the up position.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Thanks for the fast reply and great info. Those pictures help a lot. It looks like you can still get inside of it while waiting out the rain (a good thing). I live in a very raining climate, thus have to always plan on unexpected rain. Are you sure it won't fit over the soft top if it is in the up position? That would suck to have to move the soft top in the down position during a heavy rain in order to put the cover over it. It would get a lot of rain inside during the exchange. I still will probably order it, but that would be the icing on the cake if it would fit over the soft top in the up position.
I am not sure, but it doesn’t appear that it would as it looks like is follows the angle of the sport bar. If the top was in safari mode, it would have to go back and then straight down. I’m on vacation (without my jeep :crying:) or else I would experiment for you.
Sponsored