Question about Roof Racks on Factory Hard Top Rain Gutters

BobbyBobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Alright so I am new and just bought a 2020 2 door. I am considering putting roof racks on the rain gutters as I am not a hard core over lander, just want to carry some extra stuff. My fear is that over time eight, movement, elements will weaken these rain gutters because of the roof rack. Does anyone have insight or thoughts? Will they hold up? I would not even exceed 70lbs let alone 150lbs. I just don't want to put stress on my hard top .
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Dee Zee has some pretty good options that allow you to avoid drilling through the top. These not only use the rain gutters but have support on the top itself to allow for more weight.

I don't personally own one but I am seriously considering this option once our JLU is delivered. I do NOT want to drill through the top.

OP
OP

BobbyBobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Yeah I don't want to drill either. Mopar has some clamp on racks for the rain gutters. They don't appear to require drilling. I just don't want them to cause excessive wear or damage to the rain gutters from use.

adkjamis46

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Alright so I am new and just bought a 2020 2 door. I am considering putting roof racks on the rain gutters as I am not a hard core over lander, just want to carry some extra stuff. My fear is that over time eight, movement, elements will weaken these rain gutters because of the roof rack. Does anyone have insight or thoughts? Will they hold up? I would not even exceed 70lbs let alone 150lbs. I just don't want to put stress on my hard top .
I have the Mopar racks on my 2 door and have been really impressed. They carry my 85lb Coleman Scanoe and feel rock solid. The portion that sits in the rain gutter is a really heavy duty rubber. Can’t imagine it would damage the hard top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question about Roof Racks on Factory Hard Top Rain Gutters EDD382C1-EA3E-4BED-9FDF-7400558E043F

OP
OP

BobbyBobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
That makes me feel better. I am terrified of 2-3 years of use seeing the fiberglass rain gutter starting to crack and break off. I think 85lbs is more than I would use. I was considering putt max trax on it or a temporary solar install for my jackery.

Sponsored

adkjamis46

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
That makes me feel better. I am terrified of 2-3 years of use seeing the fiberglass rain gutter starting to crack and break off. I think 85lbs is more than I would use. I was considering putt max trax on it or a temporary solar install for my jackery.
Posted in a picture of my setup