Sponsored

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Tapper881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
@iblowatsports - the design looks good, I really like the addition of the grill! FYI - I was printing mine with a flexible filament that seems to hold up really well with the temps, grips the vent holes, and doesn't scrap the vents. Here is my latest print.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost IMG_2519
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost IMG_2520

IMG_2521.jpg
Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
@iblowatsports - the design looks good, I really like the addition of the grill! FYI - I was printing mine with a flexible filament that seems to hold up really well with the temps, grips the vent holes, and doesn't scrap the vents. Here is my latest print.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost IMG_2521

Is that TPU? I wondered if that might work. I just picked up a roll to try.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's my contribution to a solution. I added O rings to the plugs to hold them in place and drilled increasingly larger holes in them to manage the air flow. Installed, but not tested.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost defroster 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost defroster 1

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland

I actually played around with the idea of using flexible filament as well for exactly the reasons you're saying here, I'd have to modify my printer to get good results though since it currently is a bowden extruder. Which flexible material are you using out of curiosity? I don't know much about which ones are good for the temperature resistance needed here

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Latest pictures from mine, I was delayed because I had to make a design change since it turns out there is a lip/bar inside the vents on the side closer to the interior that interfered with my "ramps". As of now I am very happy with the results, there are just two things I am looking to resolve before printing these for other people (both related to my printer/the design):

- I ordered a new spring steel build plate because my current one has a few minor lumps/creases in it that show up slightly in the prints sometimes (should be here this week)

- I am going to modify the design a bit to have the ends of the two side covers interlock under the center cover to prevent that little lip you can see between the left cover and the center cover in the picture below. That lip is also caused by said build plate issues which I am resolving though, so this is more just to make the design a bit more "compliant" with any tolerance issues.

All of that being said, I cannot see the covers from a regular driving position and even when I actively look for them, they don't stick out as a "not stock" which was my main goal. The air definitely gets spread to the sides a lot more and seems to be pretty even to me. I would really like to test these in the cold/snow, but for some reason it's going to be 40+ in New England for this whole week....

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 1606919944853
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 1606919729263

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 1606920541018

Sponsored

Tapper881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I'm currently using TPU - it has held up well so far - including three 8 hour plus road trips this last month with frosty mornings, so I'm hopeful that the TPU will hold up. I'm happy to help out fellow Jeepers, so I can print either of designs out for those interested in the flexible filament option (I can do more traditional plastics such as PLA and ABS as well). Also it is easy to shift/add openings for custom airflows with my design if some one has a desire to move around the plugs/openings.

Link to the TPU i'm using - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DV9JMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Latest pictures from mine, I was delayed because I had to make a design change since it turns out there is a lip/bar inside the vents on the side closer to the interior that interfered with my "ramps". As of now I am very happy with the results, there are just two things I am looking to resolve before printing these for other people (both related to my printer/the design):

- I ordered a new spring steel build plate because my current one has a few minor lumps/creases in it that show up slightly in the prints sometimes (should be here this week)

- I am going to modify the design a bit to have the ends of the two side covers interlock under the center cover to prevent that little lip you can see between the left cover and the center cover in the picture below. That lip is also caused by said build plate issues which I am resolving though, so this is more just to make the design a bit more "compliant" with any tolerance issues.

All of that being said, I cannot see the covers from a regular driving position and even when I actively look for them, they don't stick out as a "not stock" which was my main goal. The air definitely gets spread to the sides a lot more and seems to be pretty even to me. I would really like to test these in the cold/snow, but for some reason it's going to be 40+ in New England for this whole week....

This is so awesome

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm currently using TPU - it has held up well so far - including three 8 hour plus road trips this last month with frosty mornings, so I'm hopeful that the TPU will hold up. I'm happy to help out fellow Jeepers, so I can print either of designs out for those interested in the flexible filament option (I can do more traditional plastics such as PLA and ABS as well). Also it is easy to shift/add openings for custom airflows with my design if some one has a desire to move around the plugs/openings.

Link to the TPU i'm using - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DV9JMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Would you use iblowatsports’s design? Or you have a different one?

Tapper881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I should be able to print out either my design or iblowatsports design (assuming he is willing to share).

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I should be able to print out either my design or iblowatsports design (assuming he is willing to share).
I believe he will be uploading them to Thingiverse after he gets the tweaks ironed out. If you're impatient like me you could PM him. He shared the STL's with me - even uploaded the latest version to me this morning. I'm going to be printing it this evening. The design is very good and printed great in PETG.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Looking great! I will buy one or two. :)

Wayne Daul

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jlu Moab

I would be interested in purchasing this when available .

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would be interested in purchasing this when available .
Ok now we really do need to keep tabs on this. Should we start a new thread with a sticky post at the top that tracks it?

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Probably would be a good idea.

So happy that people are taking the time working on this and looking forward to getting one. I mean, this is a mod that could really save a life somewhere. That might seem silly, but reduced visibility because snow and ice blocks your view is definitely not a good thing. And also not good to have to pull over, get out in a snowstorm and clear off your windshield.

Ok now we really do need to keep tabs on this. Should we start a new thread with a sticky post at the top that tracks it?

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Probably would be a good idea.

So happy that people are taking the time working on this and looking forward to getting one. I mean, this is a mod that could really save a life somewhere. That might seem silly, but reduced visibility because snow and ice blocks your view is definitely not a good thing. And also not good to have to pull over, get out in a snowstorm and clear off your windshield.
What can you experts print to fix the snow issue with the headlights :)
Sponsored