Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Kraty1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Aug 21, 2018
Messages
549
Reaction score
599
Location
Batavia IL
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I have to say this is ridiculous and I’m calling my local dealers tomorrow. After this week of crazy cold temps in Chicago I was furious trying to drive with a frosted windshield and my wipers were freezing as well. You should have seen me with my hand out the window at 70mph trying to shake the ice off the wipers. No reason a $50k vehicle shouldn’t be able to properly defrost!





Advertisement

 

grady2hig

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2018
Messages
533
Reaction score
443
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
96A1013D-E038-4665-A85E-CAD2D64E73F9.jpeg
Defroster design is definitely not good. One inch of light fluffy snow after 15 mins. Terrible design @JeepCares. This needs be fixed for the future. No way this work while driving in a full blizzard. The passenger wiper would definitely freeze.

@JeepCares
They sell these things called scapers with brush on them. It's not made to melt snow off completely. Why so lazy?
 

Rhinebeck01

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 9, 2018
Messages
6,260
Reaction score
7,511
Location
.
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
They sell these things called scapers with brush on them. It's not made to melt snow off completely. Why so lazy?
It is not a matter of being "lazy"..

Daaah, yes they do sell scrapers.... this has nothing to do with the defroster on a JL, not defrosting properly.
 

Kraty1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Aug 21, 2018
Messages
549
Reaction score
599
Location
Batavia IL
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Hi mcolv2 and Mabar,
We are currently requesting that anyone experiencing this send us a private message with your VINs so we can have this documented for the appropriate team and have this looked into a bit further.
Thank you,
Lydia
Jeep Social Care Specialist
I have an appointment a week from today to have this looked at and will keep everyone posted.
 

DaltonGang

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2018
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
1,354
Location
Houston, Tx
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Luckily, Houston hasnt seen weather cold enough for this to be a problem. But, when I head to Colorado, it could be an issue.
 

practicaltact

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
73
Reaction score
42
Location
philadelphia
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S Mojito 2 Door
I had no problems at all in the polar vortex temps in Philly and NJ last week. I think if this were an issue affecting everyone that there would be way more posts about it, at least as many as the steering posts. Pretty hard to drive if you can’t see. And again, all the pics on this site with JLs in snow and I’ve yet to find one pic showing an inadequately defrosted front windshield. Strange indeed.
 

grady2hig

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2018
Messages
533
Reaction score
443
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I had no problems at all in the polar vortex temps in Philly and NJ last week. I think if this were an issue affecting everyone that there would be way more posts about it, at least as many as the steering posts. Pretty hard to drive if you can’t see. And again, all the pics on this site with JLs in snow and I’ve yet to find one pic showing an inadequately defrosted front windshield. Strange indeed.
Yeah this is a non issue...it works fine. It's been freezing rain past few day, snow the week prior. -50 wind chills. Never an issue.
 

Mabar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
84
Location
Northeast Ohio
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I have to say this is ridiculous and I’m calling my local dealers tomorrow. After this week of crazy cold temps in Chicago I was furious trying to drive with a frosted windshield and my wipers were freezing as well. You should have seen me with my hand out the window at 70mph trying to shake the ice off the wipers. No reason a $50k vehicle shouldn’t be able to properly defrost!
Price has nothing to do with it. There is no reason a $25k vehicle shouldn't be able to properly defrost. In fact, there is absolutely NO reason ANY priced vehicle shouldn't be able to properly defrost!
 

AlamedaJeep

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Jun 30, 2018
Messages
379
Reaction score
354
Location
Alameda, CA
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
For those that are saying everything is working fine, could you please also say if you're getting airflow to the sides or just the center of the windshield?

It's hard to understand why the same design is working for some but not for others. Maybe there is another variable in there somewhere.
 
OP
maguro

maguro

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Nov 25, 2017
Messages
441
Reaction score
539
Location
Canadian Rockies
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #265
It's hard to understand why the same design is working for some but not for others. Maybe there is another variable in there somewhere.
The variable is in the environment. The type/amount of snow, the relative humidity, temperature, wind, etc.

The windshield defrost in my JLUR works fine around 90% of the time. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% is always in the worst of conditions when I need it the most. To remedy this problem, I simply toss a pair of mittens onto the center vent which does an acceptable job at redistributing the air while keeping my mittens warm for when I leave the vehicle.
 

Jebiruph

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jerry
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
1,591
Location
Iowa
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The variable is in the environment. The type/amount of snow, the relative humidity, temperature, wind, etc.

The windshield defrost in my JLUR works fine around 90% of the time. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% is always in the worst of conditions when I need it the most. To remedy this problem, I simply toss a pair of mittens onto the center vent which does an acceptable job at redistributing the air while keeping my mittens warm for when I leave the vehicle.
This is also my experience.
 

Kraty1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Aug 21, 2018
Messages
549
Reaction score
599
Location
Batavia IL
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Price has nothing to do with it. There is no reason a $25k vehicle shouldn't be able to properly defrost. In fact, there is absolutely NO reason ANY priced vehicle shouldn't be able to properly defrost!
Agreed 100% and I’ve got a service appointment on Monday for this along with a loaner. Plus I already escalated the case to FCA who will be working with the dealership, so we will see what happens.
 

redelses

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2018
Messages
196
Reaction score
164
Location
UT
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
haven't needed front defroster except one day in the cold rain, and it didn't do that well. just checked, and can only feel air from the center vents and not the side vents along the windshield.
 

practicaltact

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
73
Reaction score
42
Location
philadelphia
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S Mojito 2 Door
Mine works fine and I mainly only feel the air coming from the center vent but the volume of air per minute is ridiculously high the fan is insanely loud and powerful. The engineering may be such that it heats from the center out, the side vents are a pressure relief not for air flow direction. Im not a thermodynamics engineer though so who knows. Again we’ve had these -50 degree Fahrenheit days across much of the US a couple weeks back and I can not believe for a second we wouldn’t have tons and tons of complaints on this sight about this issue. Again we should be seeing the kind of numbers of complaints regarding steering if this were such an issue right? And again wouldn’t we see evidence of the issue in the snow wheeling pics across this sight and every other sight that owners post pics of their JLs in sub freezing temps?
 
OP
maguro

maguro

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Nov 25, 2017
Messages
441
Reaction score
539
Location
Canadian Rockies
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #270
And again wouldn’t we see evidence of the issue in the snow wheeling pics across this sight and every other sight that owners post pics of their JLs in sub freezing temps?
The windshield issues I have occur at highway speeds in periods of snow. They never occur on bluebird days as I'm slowly driving through some fresh snow.
 

Advertisement




Quake LED
 



Advertisement
Top