Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I noticed the defrost button helps a little as well. Also noticed that when the system starts blowing out unwanted cold air from glovebox area you can stop it by changing the settings for a bit.
Sponsored

TheCappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Posted this question in General JL but it didn't get far so I thought I'd post my query here.

It's pretty much winter up here in the Canadian Rockies and I had to use the windshield defrost for the first time this past week.

vents.jpg

When I use the windshield defrost, I get warm air coming out of the green area but no airflow at all from the red area. (Of course this picture omits the passenger side of the dashboard but it's the same thing on that side.)

So the end result is that the center portion of the windshield becomes free of snow and ice but the edges remain frozen. What's up with that?

Is it just mine? Can someone hit the windshield defrost on their center dash (top left corner) and tell me if they get any airflow from the vents towards the ends?

Got my 50 in and put it straight across the green area. Air still moves around the plugs so the middle defrosts well.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I ordered the 24 pack 2 days ago from the ebay seller and they arrived today. Just in time to try them in some weather

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Well, we got weather. I got the 24 pack of plugs. Quite a bit of air does come out around the plugs and so I did not leave any open holes in the center. Works lots better but I think another 3, 4 or 5 on each side would be better. I am getting warm air now where I look out. Great weather to do the test. 12 degrees, heavy snow and blowing wind.
Off topic but I really like 4 hi auto and the Bridgestone Duelers.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Joeymon1

So, you are leaving no open holes. How many plugs are you using total right now .... before adding any like you say would be better?

Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
@paulr

Yes, Dan, the seller, after hearing we needed a bunch for the Jl, said he was going to offer a 24 pack at a reduced price and mention JL, you and I... Guess he figured he would give us JL guys/gals a break and reduce the price and an add 24 pack offering.. 8-)

I had sent him a second, pm with your pic of the plugs installed, and a link to this thread. Thought he would be interested in what we were all using the plugs for.

Anyway, 24 plugs for $14.50 which includes free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Square-...h=item3b281733d0:g:ozQAAOxy~dNTHKhm:rk:6:pf:0

He also has the 12 pack that he was offering and he reduced the price on that to $9.75 and that that also includes free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Square-...122699?hash=item3a8cd8d10b:g:ozQAAOxy~dNTHKhm

Thanks eBAY vendor, Dan...

I just ordered the 24 pack

TheCappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just a word of caution. If you use remote start you might lose some if you don't secure them some how. I've had at least 4 pop out everytime. Might run a piece of gaffers tape across the top.

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Just a word of caution. If you use remote start you might lose some if you don't secure them some how. I've had at least 4 pop out everytime. Might run a piece of gaffers tape across the top.
I think that I will drill some small holes in mine when I will receive them. That way, I might obtain a more uniform flow.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have 2 that pop out in the morning when its real cold and the defrost is on full. I just drop them back in. I ordered another 24 plugs. I'll probably just leave a couple open on the ends and see how that works. Plenty of hot air goes around the plugs in the center. I don't see any need to have any center holes without a plug

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had two plugs pop up/out when starting with remote start on the first cold morning. I placed a wind of black electrical tape around the bottom of those two plugs and then pressed them back in place. Fit was tighter doing this. They no longer pop out on cold mornings when JL is remote started.

Last edited:

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ā€˜18 JLUR
I purchased 50 (purchased them when they only came in packages of 10 or 50, and couldnā€™t pass up the quantity pricing deal) and am presently using 18 across the center holes. With the leakage around the plugs (I pushed them to the rear as far as possible) my entire windshield stayed clear today, and we received more than a foot of snow. Iā€™m not sure why others are having problems with the plugs popping out, as all of mine are quite snug. Perhaps it is because Iā€™m only using 18, and there is not as much pressure building up in the defrost vent?

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
How are the plugs working? Has anyone had a chance to test them in appropriate conditions?

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I purchased 50 (purchased them when they only came in packages of 10 or 50, and couldnā€™t pass up the quantity pricing deal) and am presently using 18 across the center holes. With the leakage around the plugs (I pushed them to the rear as far as possible) my entire windshield stayed clear today, and we received more than a foot of snow. Iā€™m not sure why others are having problems with the plugs popping out, as all of mine are quite snug. Perhaps it is because Iā€™m only using 18, and there is not as much pressure building up in the defrost vent?
Maybe, but I think its just a difference in plug or vent hole tolerance. The same 2 pop out. Not a big deal.Probably will add a little tape around them. Only happens in the morning when they and the vent holes are cold. They probably contract just a bit and expand when warm.
They definitely help to move more air to the sides

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are the plugs working? Has anyone had a chance to test them in appropriate conditions?
I'm in NY right now, and YES, the plugs do have a very positive impact in regard to the front windshield air flow.

I am only running with 12 plugs but have another order of them being delivered today. In the end, I plan on running with 30 or 32 total. I just have to experiment so to speak with how many to use..

As mentioned, even with just 12 in the center, there is much improvement, in regard to front windshield defrosting.
Sponsored