Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
No..... itā€™s pretty cool, go to 27:50 mark on video.

That would make things so much easier. Mine is the first version with zippers on the side.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That would make things so much easier. Mine is the first version with zippers on the side.
Ah , gotcha, I donā€™t know, this is the first one for us, we didnā€™t really pay attention if it had zippers or how it worked really. The reason we went with this one, we wanted the trek top look and wanted to be able to fold it all the way down like the traditional top.
Then when I saw this at sema last year or the one before, we waited till it came out, then other mods were taking priority, but finally got it, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for those with a soft top E6A8E750-00A7-41CE-8E37-04C75B8EE5B4

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ah , gotcha, I donā€™t know, this is the first one for us, we didnā€™t really pay attention if it had zippers or how it worked really. The reason we went with this one, we wanted the trek top look and wanted to be able to fold it all the way down like the traditional top.
Then when I saw this at sema ast year or the one before, we waited till it came out, then other mods were taking priority, but finally got it, lol.

E6A8E750-00A7-41CE-8E37-04C75B8EE5B4.jpeg
Looks good. I got mine and then they announced yours a few weeks later... I almost flipped my desk when that happened, lol!

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
Have the same Trektop Ultra. Had it on all Summer and Fall. (only had the Jeep 6 months). Not having the zippers works great! Even took it through the car wash with no issues at all.

Sponsored

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
I have the premium factory softop which is made by bestop and itā€™s really easy to open and close, I barely think about it when going in and out. It literally takes seconds.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Once the Hydro blue color drops I am going to pull the trigger and factory order a JL, but I am still on the fence wether I am going to go hard/soft top.

For those that have the Soft Top on their JLs with real world experience. How much have the soft tops actually improved? I'm very familiar with the duck and toss method of loading the back of the jeep with a soft top as I've only had soft tops on my 20 year old TJ and gone through a few replacements tops over the years.

For those in colder climates how friendly user is the back window in the winter. Most of the time I dread undoing the back window in the TJ in the winter because putting it back on is a struggle and is comparative to my wife throwing on some skinny jeans straight out of the shower without drying off.

Thanks
I have the premium soft top on my 2dr. Iā€™ve been through three summers and two Connecticut winters with it. Zero regrets. Itā€™s very simple to operate. I almost never have to open the back window. Groceries fit under it just fine. I can even reach under and collapse the head rests and the seat. When I do need to move the window out of the way, itā€™s simple.

This week we experienced record warm temps for November. It was awesome to flip the top open. Hard top is just too much hassle for my liking.

Reactions: eck

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for opinions and impressions.

Cheers,

Ryan
I like this new style a lot. Ten times easier than the JK. The slide channels are whats been used on boats for years. My only gripe is it can be hard for me to start the slide into the channel in the dark. I am getting better at it. This is my first summer with the soft top. Mine was a factory hard top. I found a used soft top and love it. Just bought a window bag that can hang behind the seats.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just bought a window bag that can hang behind the seats.
Precisely what I do with my Mopar soft top window storage bag. It nests so nicely against the rear seat that the loss of cargo space is absolutely negligible. My wife is particularly pleased that it's one less thing to trip over, since I don't have to store the bag in the house. :LOL:

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I am looking at getting the Mopar soft top and had a few questions.
Twill or Sailcloth? I have the Bestop Twill Sunrider with my hardtop. But really like the safari top configuration.

Any issues coming from a hardtop?
Had the sailcloth top and half doors on my TJ, and really enjoyed it.
For the TJ, favorite configuration was rear window rolled up, and just the half doors.
Figure there is not much point in having a hardtop in California. Can store it in the garage.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am looking at getting the Mopar soft top and had a few questions. Twill or Sailcloth? I have the Bestop Twill Sunrider with my hardtop.

But really like the safari top configuration. Had the sailcloth top and half doors on my TJ, and really enjoyed it.

For the TJ, favorite configuration was rear window rolled up, and just the half doors.
The Twill (aka premium) soft top will have a darker and richer appearance when compared to the Sailcloth material. It's a matter of preference, and of one's willingness to pay the upcharge for the twill material.

I have the standard Sailcloth top on my JL, and I've no complaints. It's leagues quieter than the equivalent that was on my YJ Wrangler.

IIRC, Bestop manufactures the OEM soft tops for FCA.

Note that the fastener configuration on the current generation of soft tops does not allow the windows to be rolled. A soft top window storage bag is a recommended purchase.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
This is how I get into my soft top

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at getting the Mopar soft top and had a few questions.
Twill or Sailcloth? I have the Bestop Twill Sunrider with my hardtop. But really like the safari top configuration.

Any issues coming from a hardtop?
Had the sailcloth top and half doors on my TJ, and really enjoyed it.
Figure there is not much point in having a hardtop in California. Can store it in the garage.
I removed the hardtop with a hoist in my garage and installed a preowned softop. I followed a YouTube video from Quadratec and it was super easy until the last part lifting the soft top into place. I could have used a hand to make it easier but did it myself. Go for it. Short of not being able to roll up windows, this is a really nice top. I got mine for $1200.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
This is how I get into my soft top

That is a true miracle. My old zipper on my TJ would get stuck. Probably from mud, grit, salt and grime in general. The zinc tab would corrode a bit. It takes pliers, WD40 and wax to get it open. I guess if you clean and polish it, it works better.....

To the OP, did you make up your mind? I have to say, the new tops are leaps and bounds better than the old TJ. If you aren't running completely topless the new hardtops are still way more convenient. Lift window, wiper, defrost. Hardtop life is good.
Sponsored