Sponsored

A word or caution for those considering a power soft top

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I doubt the JLU power soft top will have the same problems but something to consider.

https://www.motor1.com/news/306215/jeep-liberty-owners-sky-slider-roof/

Basically the article is about the power soft top in the old liberty, how they are all failing and now there are no parts to fix them any longer.

I own a 2019 JL Wrangler with the Sky-One top and it seems to be extremely well designed and well integrated into the vehicle. No leaks and flawless operation. The old Liberty power top appears to have been a cluster-f of a design that was grafted on a cutout on the Liberty roof.

From what I see, I really doubt it will be the case, but if the JL top proves to be problematic in the long run, unlike the Liberty, the modular construction of the JL Wrangler would allow for replacement with a hardtop or manual soft-top.

Last edited:

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Liberty is a joke and no wonder it only has a short life span and parts discontinued, I doubt FCA can do the same to their flagship Wrangler.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I would be wary of them anyhow just because it is a similar system to what Fiat uses for the 500 sliding roof and those, apparently are notorious for leaking.
Still, I do think it looks cool and seems to be rather convenient and practical.

Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
The only caution I see is the $4000
As another had said it is nice that IF it goes bad at least you can replace it with a standard hardtop or soft top, BUT to your point- I would be furious if I dropped $4,000 on the option and it burnt up with-in a couple of years later.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The standard soft top will get the job done. No need for fancy tops.

I can now successfully go out and purchase 77 $52 dollar USDA Prime Filet Mignon‘s!

Or completely upgrade my suspension.

The filets are really tempting at this point.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anything that slides inside a track with rollers or friction bars becomes a pain in the rear end. Fold and slide closet doors? Shower curtains? Residential "pocket doors"? Anything with that type of design has become a nightmare in my experience. I fail to see why the sliding top on a Jeep would be any different....especially since it's exposed to dust, dirt, and weather.

But, who knows, maybe they've figured out a way to make it work long term. Time will tell.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
It would suck if they stopped making parts. But there are alot more Wranglers sold than Liberties.

Also, lets say something does go wrong and they stop making parts. You can always buy a hard top or soft top as a replacement (who knows, maybe FCA will would work with customers for a discount). Not ideal if your spent $4000 for the power top, but its not like the Jeep would be unusable.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I ordered one.Thats why their a extended warranty on it.If there’s a problem they’ll fix it
I had 2009 Liberty with the sky roof. I loved the roof. Had no leaks. I did maintain the rails though. Kept them clean and used wd40 on them. Also I would put a canvas conditioner on the top at the beginning of the spring. What I liked about the Liberty top was that there was a moveable headliner to keep the wind noise down.
Saying all that...… After I put 100,000 miles on the Liberty I was not able to get another one because Jeep stopped making them. I always loved the Wrangler but my wife didn't like the ride. Got a 2015 Edge titanium. It was a good car. Had everything in it. PROBLEM.....it was just a car. A car like everyone else's. That was a lease. I looked around. All the cars looked the same so I went and tried a Wrangler again. Much Better ride. Then my problem was am I going to spend all this money just to take off the t-top of a hard top? I thought that's crazy. I'll just buy out my car and be done with it. Then I saw the sky one roof. It sucked me back in. I ordered one to come in right before my lease ended. I LOVE THE ROOF! I know I feel like a masochist. I paid a lot extra for this and the possible problems. I just wish Jeep would of put in the moveable headliner in.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
It is a shame the company that built the Liberty Top parts went out of business. However we can assume a different company is building the Jeep Wrangler Sky One-Touch Power Top sub-assembly systems.

Does anyone know who is building the power top for the Jeep Wrangler? Or how much of it comes from a Jeep subsidiary?