Sponsored

Question for those with a soft top

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I have only ever had a hard top. Today I went to a dealership and looked at a 2 door soft top. I wanted to check how much storage it had. I opened the tailgate and went to lift the rear window, but couldn’t. It seemed really inconvenient. Is there a way around this? Does everyone duck under to get out stuff in? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I have only ever had a hard top. Today I went to a dealership and looked at a 2 door soft top. I wanted to check how much storage it had. I opened the tailgate and went to lift the rear window, but couldn’t. It seemed really inconvenient. Is there a way around this? Does everyone duck under to get out stuff in? Thanks in advance.
Sometimes I duck under. Other times I just undo the tabs on the back window and flip it up. Yes it’s a little more work compared to the hard top but I’ll take that trade off any day.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I'm with beach bum. I duck under mostly, sometimes undo the sides and lift it. It's not hard. And when it's nice I can flip back the top and pull the windows by myself. Basically topless in minutes.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We are new to the soft top world, and loving it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for those with a soft top 16C46061-7A96-4858-A14A-F06566FA6BA5

After being in a hard top with our last 4 jeeps and now the Rubi this past 2 years we’re institutionalized...lol. I’m always grabbing the tailgate bar trying to lift the hatch......:facepalm:.......I’m getting pretty good at unhooking and flipping it up though. But I found that this is the easiest solution......:giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for those with a soft top 0406BD0F-2CCC-458C-8AC7-18EDCEC89E45

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, that is the only annoying part. Ducking under usually works, but a lot of times I have to undo the tabs on each side real quick to flip it up, then redo the tabs.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2 Dr, and am constantly using the hard top lift glass to get my dogs in and out ( seat removed) .
My JK Trek Top, with side zippers on the rear window, was much easier for quick access. Especially the ability to roll up rear window, secure with straps, or just flip it up on the top . When a soft top comes out that allows rolling up side, rear windows, for that Safari top experience, I'm in.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Do you live in a snowy or blizzard prone area?
If so I would look for an aftermarket top for the 2 door as the stock top lets stuff in at the middle.

If you have a 2 door soft top you can easily reach your hand under the roof and by the window.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have both the hard top and soft top. I like the hard top better, it is more convenient. The soft top is for when I am going out of town and will want to take the top off. That said, I dont insert the little tabs at the bottom of the rear soft top window. I just let them flop. when i open the back soft window i just undo the sides and flop it on top.

The soft top om my '93 YJ was easier to roll up the rear window. But the JL soft top is so much nicer and quieter!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anyone tried one of these? I'm concerned with it actually sealing and maybe even the side windows coming loose since the rear window tabs kind of hole it all together.

https://eztrunk.net/ols/products/ezwindow-for-jlu-2018-2020-black

I think its just as easy to undo the window and flip the bar on the roof.
I suspect the brevity of the EZ Window video was intended to demonstrate the kit's functioning in a streamlined manner. I saw no good reason why the side and lower tabs of the rear window couldn't be reinserted after the window was lowered back in place. I'd personally want those tabs seated in their channels, even if the EZ Window kit makes doing so somewhat optional.

I'm waiting for a real-world user review before clicking Buy Now.

CulpMinMn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2001 TJ, 2014 WK2
Once the Hydro blue color drops I am going to pull the trigger and factory order a JL, but I am still on the fence wether I am going to go hard/soft top.

For those that have the Soft Top on their JLs with real world experience. How much have the soft tops actually improved? I'm very familiar with the duck and toss method of loading the back of the jeep with a soft top as I've only had soft tops on my 20 year old TJ and gone through a few replacements tops over the years.

For those in colder climates how friendly user is the back window in the winter. Most of the time I dread undoing the back window in the TJ in the winter because putting it back on is a struggle and is comparative to my wife throwing on some skinny jeans straight out of the shower without drying off.

Thanks

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Once the Hydro blue color drops I am going to pull the trigger and factory order a JL, but I am still on the fence wether I am going to go hard/soft top.

For those that have the Soft Top on their JLs with real world experience. How much have the soft tops actually improved? I'm very familiar with the duck and toss method of loading the back of the jeep with a soft top as I've only had soft tops on my 20 year old TJ and gone through a few replacements tops over the years.

For those in colder climates how friendly user is the back window in the winter. Most of the time I dread undoing the back window in the TJ in the winter because putting it back on is a struggle and is comparative to my wife throwing on some skinny jeans straight out of the shower without drying off.

Thanks
I have both. Normally I put the hard top on in the winter but I don't think I'm going to bother this year. I'm a big fan of the soft top and if I were to factory order a new jeep I would probably go soft top only.

The hard top *is* nice for the rear wiper and defroster in the winter, and certainly is a lot easier to get in and out of the tailgate. Most of the time I can do what I need back there with the soft top rear all in place, it's just kind of awkward to duck under the bar at the bottom of the window. But if you want to flip up the rear soft window for full access, you can easily do so with about 15 seconds to unlatch and another 15 seconds to reattach everything. It's not a big deal, but the hard top will always be much easier.

One thing I always post when I discuss this... remember that if you only get the soft top then you will not have the washer fluid plumbing and the wiring harness, and those are a pain to add. If you factory order the hard top, it is very simple to add the soft top later.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
We are new to the soft top world, and loving it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for those with a soft top 0406BD0F-2CCC-458C-8AC7-18EDCEC89E45

After being in a hard top with our last 4 jeeps and now the Rubi this past 2 years we’re institutionalized...lol. I’m always grabbing the tailgate bar trying to lift the hatch......:facepalm:.......I’m getting pretty good at unhooking and flipping it up though. But I found that this is the easiest solution......:giggle:

Does your version of the trektop not have zippers for the back window?