First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I've got a Sport. I hit 5th going 60+ and 6th going 70+ on flat ground with cruise control.
Sport S here but same going into gears, -unrelated- cant wait for summer so I can go 70+ in 2nd gear🏍

So it really does come down to the gear ratio from what i have read over the past month and looking at Tire combinations.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my jlu sport s for close to a year now and I've noticed that I rarely hit 5th gear and almost never 6th. Maybe its my driving habits after driving my 2001 mustang gt 5 speed and my 2015 gt 6 speed but I no longer have them. daily the fastest I drive is 60, maybe I just like the get up if I need it instead of shifting down. just curious of your guys driving habits.
I've not read all the responses, so if repeated, I apologize.

Probably the final drive gearing is so tall in the Sport that it impacts driving habits and gear selection.

With the Rubi's 4.10 gearing, which is made a little taller by 35" tires, I do get into 5th and 6th. I usually cruise in 5th at 50 to 60 or 65 on slightly hilly highways. I go to 6th at 60 on flat roads and 65 and up if there are even mild hills or inclines. Cruising on the higway a5 70 to 75 is almost always 6th gear. On the way West to Moab in 2018, I drove much of the way on I70 at 75 in 5th gear because we had a killer headwind and I got about 1mpg better that way.

I've kept my Jeep as light weight as possible. Stock wheels, light KO2 35's, lightest winch I could find, factory steel bumpers, and no racks or added armour. I haven't needed the armor. The only places I've struck are rock rails, factory skids, frame, and cross members. (I've crushed one of the cross members and may replace it.) The factory skids are minimal but seem to be in just the right places!

Keeping it light keeps good performance and requires less traction to move you off-road. It also puts less wear and tear and stress on the drive train and suspension components. Not to mention better fuel economy.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I installed the HikeIt throttle control (you can use any brand, they are all the same) about 2 months ago. Since then, and using Cruise 05 setting, I now use 5th gear often, but only touch 6th at high speeds and flat land. The throttle control really changes the throttle response. I have lost about 1.5 mpg, but for loss of acceleration lag, better performance, and being able to use 5th again, it is worth it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a sport S with 285/70r17 tires.

I usually hit 4th around 50. 5th I can cruise around 55, but usually reserved for the highway. 6th is for downhill cruising above 70.

Basically for around town I rarely get out of 3rd.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Seems like you all are just driving too slow.

Sponsored

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I don't how our Jeeps can all be so different. I'm running 33's on stock suspension and gearing and have never used 6th gear. Even at 75+ un the freeway 6th gear is useless unless I'm going downhill. Pulling a 1% grade in 6th is laughable. I would really like to re-gear.

tubesock

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I don’t have a manual so probably shouldn’t even reply (a manual isn’t offered with the engine I chose). But why does Jeep gear it this way? Must be to squeek out a tiny mpg improvement under the perfect set of conditions? I enjoy manual shifting, but if I couldn’t use all the gears at 55-60mph, that would really bug me.
It's really best to think about it as a 4 speed transmission with 2 overdrives. It doesn't really bug me, it's not a sports car (we also have a Miata and its final gear is 1:1) so if I can squeak out a little more MPG I'll take it.

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
The manual has a chart on page 304, it says that when accelerating you should shift to 6th at 70 and 5th at 65 (cruise speeds and downshifts are lower) so i think the OP is shifting how jeep intended, and not using 5th and 6th very often unless going over 60. A rubicon should be happier shifting at lower speeds if both are at stock tire size.

Deleted member 59498

I've had my jlu sport s for close to a year now and I've noticed that I rarely hit 5th gear and almost never 6th. Maybe its my driving habits after driving my 2001 mustang gt 5 speed and my 2015 gt 6 speed but I no longer have them. daily the fastest I drive is 60, maybe I just like the get up if I need it instead of shifting down. just curious of your guys driving habits.
Maybe you don't need 60mph speeds, or more? I drive about 20 mins to work. I have long uphill run everyday so I may not get out of 5th during the climb from the on ramp to the top. However if dry pavement which is rare I don't hit 6th until road levels out. However I am always in 6th after that first hill with lots of power and never down gear to get in fast lane to go 75 or 80 mph.

Anything above 80 to 85 is stupid anyway in my world. Its a jeep not a sportscar but at 70 to 80 very stable and always in 6th never have down shifted to get around people.

OP
OP
skovac2

skovac2

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
Occupation
Army
The manual has a chart on page 304, it says that when accelerating you should shift to 6th at 70 and 5th at 65 (cruise speeds and downshifts are lower) so i think the OP is shifting how jeep intended, and not using 5th and 6th very often unless going over 60. A rubicon should be happier shifting at lower speeds if both are at stock tire size.
Interesting, thanks that's some pretty good info.

Sponsored

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I use 5th gear around 60-75 mph, if I'm on the interstate going 75 or more, I'll use 6th. Mine is a Rubicon.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Stock Sahara with stock tires. My engine likes to be around 2000 rpm so I cruise at 68mph in 5th (55 speed limit) and 74 mph in 6th (65 mph speed limit). Obviously I have to adjust for inclines.
If I’m on a country road with a 55 speed limit and want to enjoy the beauty and stay around 55 then I stay in 4th at around 2200 rpm. I for one am happy with the gearing of this transmission.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
I have a stock Willys 2 door. Most of my daily driving is a 2 lane 55 mph road from home to work that I pretty much use 4th. On the 2 lane 70 mph highways I'm probably in 5th most of the time and it pulls the hills much better than I thought it would. I usually only hit 6th on the 75 mph interstate.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a 2020 sport manual on 33" ko2's. Now i have a Rubicon manual on 33"and, I can say 5th & 6th are way more usable with the 4.10's.
Sponsored