Question about keyless start

Youssefb08

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang (6 speed)
So my uncle recently purchased a Sport S with the keyless start and asked me a question I didn't quite have the answer to. If he forgets to "turn" the car off and walks away from it while it is still on, will the car sense the key no longer nearby and eventually turn off on its own? Thank you!
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
No, it'll keep running and show a message on the screen that the "Fob has left the vehicle". I don't think anyone can drive the vehicle, but it'll keep running.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So my uncle recently purchased a Sport S with the keyless start and asked me a question I didn't quite have the answer to. If he forgets to "turn" the car off and walks away from it while it is still on, will the car sense the key no longer nearby and eventually turn off on its own? Thank you!
If you leave the vehicle with the engine still running it will continue to run. If you leave the vehicle in "Acc" or in "Run" without the engine running, it will switch itself to "off" automatically after 30 minutes.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
No, it'll keep running and show a message on the screen that the "Fob has left the vehicle". I don't think anyone can drive the vehicle, but it'll keep running.
If it's left running with no fob. You can drive it till you shut it off. You will just get the msg no key fob.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
There are many instances of people starting a vehicle when the FOB was near and then later finding out they didn't have it after they'd driven a long distance and shut the vehicle off. Unless Jeep has done something different, I would assume this is still the case. My favorite story I heard (not sure if true, but plausible) was a guy that drove his wife to the airport to drop her off, then when he got back to his car in the parking lot he realized that he had driven there with her FOB in her purse, and didn't have his :D

I wish car manufacturers would take a page out of Harley's manual and let us set a PIN number to override the FOB and turn the vehicle on.
Sponsored