Sponsored

Learned something new about keyless start?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
So I was out with the better half and she didn't want to take her purse. We put it in the storage area in back and locked the Jeep. We were doorless today so I didn't even think about unlocking it when we got back.

I hopped to start the Jeep and nothing. It asked me to put the key fob to the start button and still nothing. I jumped out and jumped back in and still nothing. I pushed the unlocked button and then it started right up.

So when the Jeep is locked is it not looking for the key and therefore not able to start?

Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So I was out with the better half and she didn't want to take her purse. We put it in the storage area in back and locked the Jeep. We were doorless today so I didn't even think about unlocking it when we got back.

I hopped to start the Jeep and nothing. It asked me to put the key fob to the start button and still nothing. I jumped out and jumped back in and still nothing. I pushed the unlocked button and then it started right up.

So when the Jeep is locked is it not looking for the key and therefore not able to start?

Sorry don’t own one but this seems odd. One of the first things I do is lock the doors when I enter my vehicle.

What happens if someone is chasing you and you need to lock your door before driving away?

Could it have been part of the alarm system not allowing it to start?

I assume you locked it by using the button on the fob which would have set the alarm. You then entered without unlocking using the remote because the doors were off. Car would not start maybe because alarm was still set and never turned off using the remote.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Above post sounds correct. Even when starting the vehicle with remote start, you would not be able to put it in ON/RUN without first pressing UNLOCK on the key fob.

Suggestion: If you wanted to leave the second key in the locked area in the back, buy an RFID blocking bag (Faraday bag) to make sure the signal cannot be detected.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4

Just today I did the exact same thing and mine started right up. I felt dumb about locking the doors with the doors off, so I just figured I would see what it would do. It started without delay.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So maybe this has to do with the Jeep recognizing the doors are removed?

Someone will have to do some testing. With the doors on, close the door, press the lock switch and see if the vehicle starts. The OP is saying theirs did not start with the doors locked unless it was because the alarm was on.

Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I had this same thing happen to me with the doors off. Couldnt figure it out and was in a hurry to make my tee time. Finally hit the unlock and it started right up.

Side note, definitely feels silly to lock a vehicle with no doors, but if you are using the rear storage it is useful to lock so the tailgate cannot be opened.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I had this same thing happen to me with the doors off. Couldnt figure it out and was in a hurry to make my tee time. Finally hit the unlock and it started right up.

Side note, definitely feels silly to lock a vehicle with no doors, but if you are using the rear storage it is useful to lock so the tailgate cannot be opened.
Locking with the key fob sets the alarm. Not sure if the same is true with doors removed. I suppose with the alarm set it would make it harder to steal your Jeep.

Isn’t there a setting in UConnect for doors on/off? Maybe that will change the Jeep’s behavior.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Locking with the key fob sets the alarm. Not sure if the same is true with doors removed. I suppose with the alarm set it would make it harder to steal your Jeep.

Isn’t there a setting in UConnect for doors on/off? Maybe that will change the Jeep’s behavior.
I didn't check to see a uconnect setting for doors off but I'll look. I don't mind the way it works it just took me by surprise. I like the alarm and lock so the rear cargo area can't be accessed. Just have to unlock to start it.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I didn't check to see a uconnect setting for doors off but I'll look. I don't mind the way it works it just took me by surprise. I like the alarm and lock so the rear cargo area can't be accessed. Just have to unlock to start it.
I would be disappointed if this were a setting that had to be manually set. If any sort of adjustment is needed, I would hope the Jeep is smart enough to see that the door wire harnesses are unplugged, and that a null signal from the door harness means... the doors are off. Not saying that's how it works, just hoping that it's the case :)

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
I think I can answer some of these questions about the ignitions and door censors.

With the new ESS ignition vs old style turn key. By locking the Jeep JL you have put the jeep in a security mode so the ignition will no allow the engine to turn over. With the turn key JK model the key itself is the physical signal to allow the vehicle to start. There for without doors you could leave it locked jump in and still start it. The physical key ignition makes that possible. Pressing the unlock button is activating the ignition on the JL same as putting a physical key activates a JK. So yes if you wish to set the alarm on your JL while the doors are off then you have to press unlock to deactivate the alarm and allow the engine to start.

There is a censor for the doors but when the doors are off the censor is automatically disabled. If the door censor is not disabling the jeep will automatically shift back into park when you try to leave (try driving away with the door partially closed and see what happens)

Those of us who have had several Jeeps over the years are not accustom to the modern safety/comfort/security features that are standard on most any other vehicle including all other jeep brand vehciles. It will take some adjusting to get used to but it beats the old days of having your old wranglers and cherokee flipped over and the converters being cut off ! Oh the nineties! The good ole days ;)

Sponsored

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
With the front doors off last weekend, I actually was curious about this concept. So car was locked, you could see the lock/security symbol in the dash so I knew the car was armed. Without unlocking anything, I engaged only the clutch (no break), hit the start button and the car started right up.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
So maybe this has to do with the Jeep recognizing the doors are removed?

Someone will have to do some testing. With the doors on, close the door, press the lock switch and see if the vehicle starts. The OP is saying theirs did not start with the doors locked unless it was because the alarm was on.
Not sure if I did it exactly like you wanted, but I unlocked my Jeep and hopped in. Then I pressed Lock on the fob. Then I pressed the brake and hit the start button. It started.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase

Not sure if I did it exactly like you wanted, but I unlocked my Jeep and hopped in. Then I pressed Lock on the fob. Then I pressed the brake and hit the start button. It started.
With the front doors off last weekend, I actually was curious about this concept. So car was locked, you could see the lock/security symbol in the dash so I knew the car was armed. Without unlocking anything, I engaged only the clutch (no break), hit the start button and the car started right up.
It seems like different people are having different experiences with their Jeeps. Very strange. Next time I have my doors off I will check it again. I am wondering if it is the combination of locking/arming it and some length of time. When it happened to me I was at the pool so it was several hours until I got back to the Jeep.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I'm curious what actually sets off an alarm? I guess I'm used to alarms with motion sensors or gyroscopes to sense vehicle movement or something wrenching on the inside. Yet no one mentioned the alarm being set off getting in while it's set.

All the more need for a vendor to produce a secure cargo cover for a JLS72.
Sponsored