Sponsored

Purchasing a New JK vs. a JL?

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
Sponsored

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
The issue with forums is youā€™re going to find a vocal minority because itā€™s a place for us to discuss the problems we have. I know a majority of us probably donā€™t have issues.

We personally traded in a 17 JK for JL. The upgrades are just awesome and the 8 speed is a godsend!

The JK isnā€™t a bad buy by any means though and is still an amazing vehicle. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either personally.

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
I think being a jl forum, most people are gonna say go for the jl lol. If the forum was just about how good things are going, it would kinda be useless. With that being said, go for the jl!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
When I got mine in April, there were new JKUs and JLUs side by side on the lot. It was a tough decision.

If I was doing it again today and there were still brand new JKUs on the lot, it would be a tough decision.

The JKU is cheaper, more reliable, more roomy inside, has better seats, and already has a trillion aftermarket parts available.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
80% of the complaints or people wanting replies or just whiners. Don't let them stop you from getting what you want.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Now into the 2nd model year of the job I assume jk resale will start tank and many jk owners trade up flooding the market with jk. Personally I see the jk as a not so good investment

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
If you donā€™t mind buying something that is already significantly outdated by more than a year, thereā€™s no reason not to buy the JK as long as the discount is steep enough to offset passing on the current offering.

I might have bought the JK if the dealers in my area were dumping them.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Now into the 2nd model year of the job I assume jk resale will start tank and many jk owners trade up flooding the market with jk. Personally I see the jk as a not so good investment
This may actually be a point in favor of buying a JK (deeply discounted, as @Wanderingwheelz said). Over the next year or two, the resale on JK's will probably dip. But it'll level off quickly as the JK becomes a "classic" and demand rises again. So if you're keeping it for 3+ years, you may have a half-way decent investment.

Regardless, you should probably test drive both. If you don't feel a big difference, then you may be better off going with the JK, because:

Half as expensive , and twice as reliable .
If you do feel a difference, as most of us have, then you need to make the judgement call. Lotta people have been very happy in their JLs. Search this forum for the good news stories, not just the bad...

Sponsored

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Iā€™ve had four jeeps now. 2 JKU Saharaā€™s (ā€˜13, ā€˜15), one JK Rubicon (ā€˜17), and now one JLU Sahara. I absolutely loved each JK I had, but the JL is something else. I would get a JL ten times out of ten if given the option. If a JK is more in the budget, though, go with the JK. You canā€™t go wrong either way.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That holds true for 99% of vehicles out there.

It's not true for the Wrangler.

Even the TJ is still commanding prices in the $10,000 to $15,000 range, and it hasn't been on sale since 2006. The JKU is still holding very high values and will continue to for a long time. The insane pricing on JL will also help to drive used pricing up.

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
That holds true for 99% of vehicles out there.

It's not true for the Wrangler.

Even the TJ is still commanding prices in the $10,000 to $15,000 range, and it hasn't been on sale since 2006. The JKU is still holding very high values and will continue to for a long time. The insane pricing on JL will also help to drive used pricing up.
Watching the 2005/2006 Unlimited model prices, they appear to be actually going up, w/prices close to 20K, even w/over 100K miles on them. Of course they appear to be mostly stock, w/little to no mods.

I use to own a 2006 Unlimited, 100% stock, which I traded in for a new 2013 JK Unlimited. I still regret it to this day.

The 2005/2006 TJ's, as far as I'm concerned, was the end of the classic Jeep. :(

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
The jl is allot nicer than the jk on the inside. If you're thinking automatic the jk transmission doesn't compare to the jl 8 speed. I specifically bought mine because of the 8 speed
Sponsored