First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
So now they’re going to throw a harness that it doesn’t need and then still have to replace your axle when that doesn’t fix it. Brilliant.
The only reason that I am permitting them to do that is because A, I'm not paying for it, and B, it failed within 2 miles of the axle being changed out last time. So the technician is hoping that the last dealership tech pulled the harness when removing the axle, causing it to have an intermittent short. Because as it sits right now, the fault is not present. But he can see the history of error messages.
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm going to be purchasing a new JLU soon and this has got me thinking.

- Is this a big part that's going to fail, or is it just affecting a small number of axles?
- If you have a completely stock Rubicon, pot the sensor, then something happens in the future, will the repair get denied because you potted the sensor? I read sometimes a wiring harness was replaced. If they crack open the diff and see the potted sensor, I would think they would deny everything then.
- It sounds like this affects numerous year JL's and there's still no fix. Being such a known problem, and I know everybody is wondering this too, is there ever going to be a fix?
- If your axle does get replaced, is it a brand new one or refurbished? I have a hard time believing they would replace it with a brand new one, as they have to do something with all the old axles.
- If you bring your vehicle in and it's determined to replace the axle, do you get to drive it home and bring it back when it comes back in?

Having that feedback on the dash is a nice feature that I wouldn't want to lose. I think we're all in agreement that an aftermarket sensor needs to get released. I just don't know if I should gamble with not doing anything when I do buy my JL or pot the sensor when I first get it.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

- Is this a big part that's going to fail, or is it just affecting a small number of axles?
- If you have a completely stock Rubicon, pot the sensor, then something happens in the future, will the repair get denied because you potted the sensor? I read sometimes a wiring harness was replaced. If they crack open the diff and see the potted sensor, I would think they would deny everything then.
- It sounds like this affects numerous year JL's and there's still no fix. Being such a known problem, and I know everybody is wondering this too, is there ever going to be a fix?
- If your axle does get replaced, is it a brand new one or refurbished? I have a hard time believing they would replace it with a brand new one, as they have to do something with all the old axles.
- If you bring your vehicle in and it's determined to replace the axle, do you get to drive it home and bring it back when it comes back in?

Having that feedback on the dash is a nice feature that I wouldn't want to lose. I think we're all in agreement that an aftermarket sensor needs to get released. I just don't know if I should gamble with not doing anything when I do buy my JL or pot the sensor when I first get it.
Most of these questions have been discussed in the original thread. The link is on the first page of this thread and it's also a sticky in the sub forum.

IDK what they do w the old axles. Members who have had axles replaced multiple times report they are new.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Most of these questions have been discussed in the original thread. The link is on the first page of this thread and it's also a sticky in the sub forum.

IDK what they do w the old axles. Members who have had axles replaced multiple times report they are new.
I'll go back and re-read. I started going down the rabbit hole last week and maybe I missed a few of the answers and was taken to a different post.

It sounded like it was mostly affecting those who re-geared, so since they had already done that, who cares about potting it. I'll see what I can dig up. Thanks!

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I'll go back and re-read. I started going down the rabbit hole last week and maybe I missed a few of the answers and was taken to a different post.

It sounded like it was mostly affecting those who re-geared, so since they had already done that, who cares about potting it. I'll see what I can dig up. Thanks!
Nope, this will affect every Rubicon axle at some point or another.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

Based on those i've seen it does not matter if your stock, bigger tires, or re-gear. You still have a sealed piece of plastic with a big ass magnet (attracting metal) and a chipboard. The plastic will degrade w time, the board will be exposed to oil and iron fragments and go south.

There is an aftermarket harness as a workaround to a functioning part as another solution.

I've completed the process and reassembling front with no issues on my jeep, doing wife's next.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

The dealerships aren't even opening the diffs up. Even if they did they would never know the sensors had been potted.

Deleted member 59098

Just wondering if I should just put in a Z harness next diff oil change as a proactive measure? Coming from a ZJ, replacing sensors is just a normal Jeep thing for me. I’d rather never step foot into a dealership for any service. They want to detune if it goes in.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just wondering if I should just put in a Z harness next diff oil change as a proactive measure? Coming from a ZJ, replacing sensors is just a normal Jeep thing for me. I’d rather never step foot into a dealership for any service. They want to detune if it goes in.
If you pot the sensors before they fail there is no reason to use the z harness.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
May be a silly question and I'm overthinking, but seeing as if I screw up the sensor there's no replacement, etc...

If the sensor has oil in it, but has yet to fail; is it as simple as drilling a hole, draining the oil, spraying with electrical cleaner (via holes) and then potting? Hesitant to do this as I don't want to spray pressured cleaner that close to the circuit board.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
May be a silly question and I'm overthinking, but seeing as if I screw up the sensor there's no replacement, etc...

If the sensor has oil in it, but has yet to fail; is it as simple as drilling a hole, draining the oil, spraying with electrical cleaner (via holes) and then potting? Hesitant to do this as I don't want to spray pressured cleaner that close to the circuit board.
Yes, it's that simple. You'll be OK doing this.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
This is all great - unless one can’t do it themselves due to either tools, no working space, poor mobility/coordination, and etc.

It’s great knowing what’ll happen, what stops it from happening.....🤷🏽

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is all great - unless one can’t do it themselves due to either tools, no working space, poor mobility/coordination, and etc.

It’s great knowing what’ll happen, what stops it from happening.....🤷🏽
What’s the point of this post? If you (or someone) can’t do it - find someone who can. That’s what I had to do. Ideally Jeep/Dana will fix the issue. Until then, pony up for some gear oil and an hour or two of labor. Or just gripe and let them fail.
Sponsored