Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good afternoon everyone.

As all of you know, there is a known factory defect with the Locker Sensor housings. These housings are allowing gear oil into them and shortly thereafter they fail. This failure, at this time, requires the entire axle assembly to be replaced.

Today marks my 16th set of gears I've done for people since Thanksgiving. 12 of those have been JL's and 9 of those have been Rubicons.

Out of the 18 Rubicon differentials, all but 5 of those sensors had oil in them. NONE had failed yet, but failure was imminent before potting.

Last weekend I did @GhostDivers gears and his was the worst I had seen yet without a failure. One of his sensors was completely full with only a tiny air bubble visible. I drilled larger holes in the cap than I normally would for just potting and used a high quality contact cleaner to rinse it out and then potted it. His would be the first full sensor to be cleaned and potted, (That I've done) so we'll see if it holds up.

His wife, Carrie, has her Jeep here with me today and the rear sensor in hers has oil in it, as well. Again, no failure yet.

The point to this post is: Do NOT wait to take care of this issue as a preventative maintenance item. Please take a moment to pot your sensors and save yourself a ton of heartache and let's hope FCA releases a replaceable line item soon.

Here are the steps to pot the sensors: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

Thank you.
Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I have a MY21 JLR on order and this is not a minor matter, especially not in a vehicle costing more than $45K. Although my intention is to replace the stock axles within a year anyway, plus or minus coronavirus delays, my intention was also to resell to stock axles.

My understanding is that this is a problem with the rear axles; is that correct? Has this problem been seen on MY21 JLRs and, if so, is the defect rate still as high as has been seen on earlier years?

If, as the original poster has suggested, the rate of oil infiltration is this high and the sensor units on all JLs need to be drilled, rinsed, and potted, then a continuing problem in this major of a component, without a factory response, is just flat disgustingly unforgivable. In a Yugo, perhaps it would be expected; but, again, not in a vehicle costing more than $45K. Are the Jeep dealerships in a position to do all of this drilling, rinsing, and potting work and, if so, reliably or are there garages that can be trusted to do it properly? If so, which ones?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've used my lockers twice and I got a "Service 4WD" or some warning like that the first time I used them, but that was at only maybe 1,000 or 2,000 miles on the odometer. It's never come on again. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but if the oil does get in the sensor, what's the damage? Is it just a service light staying on? Just curious as to why that requires replacement of the entire axle.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have a MY21 JLR on order and this is not a minor matter, especially not in a vehicle costing more than $45K. Although my intention is to replace the stock axles within a year anyway, plus or minus coronavirus delays, my intention was also to resell to stock axles.

My understanding is that this is a problem with the rear axles; is that correct? Has this problem been seen on MY21 JLRs and, if so, is the defect rate still as high as has been seen on earlier years?

If, as the original poster has suggested, the rate of oil infiltration is this high and the sensor units on all JLs need to be drilled, rinsed, and potted, then a continuing problem in this major of a component, without a factory response, is just flat disgustingly unforgivable. In a Yugo, perhaps it would be expected; but, again, not in a vehicle costing more than $45K. Are the Jeep dealerships in a position to do all of this drilling, rinsing, and potting work and, if so, reliably or are there garages that can be trusted to do it properly? If so, which ones?
The issue is with any factory axle with a locker. Front and Rear.

To my knowledge, there has not been a change for MY21.

This procedure is outside of the willingness of any dealer. The dealer is not going to perform this procedure as it will void your warranty if they know it was performed. You can ask a garage or private person to do it.

I can't tell you which ones to ask to get the potting done, but I will say that it's not difficult at all. Any competent shop can do this.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I've used my lockers twice and I got a "Service 4WD" or some warning like that the first time I used them, but that was at only maybe 1,000 or 2,000 miles on the odometer. It's never come on again. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but if the oil does get in the sensor, what's the damage? Is it just a service light staying on? Just curious as to why that requires replacement of the entire axle.
The system fails in different ways. Please look through all of the posts on this subject. This forum has several threads explaining what happens and what different people are seeing.

I will say, however, the sensor has a couple of capacitors in it that fail and provide a locked indication on the dash without being in 4LO. This is a clear indication that the sensor has failed.

Sponsored

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Good afternoon everyone.

As all of you know, there is a known factory defect with the Locker Sensor housings. These housings are allowing gear oil into them and shortly thereafter they fail. This failure, at this time, requires the entire axle assembly to be replaced.

Today marks my 16th set of gears I've done for people since Thanksgiving. 12 of those have been JL's and 9 of those have been Rubicons.

Out of the 18 Rubicon differentials, all but 5 of those sensors had oil in them. NONE had failed yet, but failure was imminent before potting.

Last weekend I did @GhostDivers gears and his was the worst I had seen yet without a failure. One of his sensors was completely full with only a tiny air bubble visible. I drilled larger holes in the cap than I normally would for just potting and used a high quality contact cleaner to rinse it out and then potted it. His would be the first full sensor to be cleaned and potted, (That I've done) so we'll see if it holds up.

His wife, Carrie, has her Jeep here with me today and the rear sensor in hers has oil in it, as well. Again, no failure yet.

The point to this post is: Do NOT wait to take care of this issue as a preventative maintenance item. Please take a moment to pot your sensors and save yourself a ton of heartache and let's hope FCA releases a replaceable line item soon.

Here are the steps to pot the sensors: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

Thank you.
Thanks! Wow. Unreal.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for your experienced insight on this. I plan to regear soon and I’ll make sure that this is done at that time even though I haven’t had any issues yet.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Another great post about this issue. I recently had the dealership change out the 3rd new axle to "fix" this problem. The plan was to pot the sensor as soon as I got home. But I ended up getting this warning less than a mile from the dealership. And my understanding is that if the error has already started, then the capacitors are already starting to fail. So, I will have them put a 4th one in it. Maybe this time it's the front?

20201223_123633.jpg

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Another great post about this issue. I recently had the dealership change out the 3rd new axle to "fix" this problem. The plan was to pot the sensor as soon as I got home. But I ended up getting this warning less than a mile from the dealership. And my understanding is that if the error has already started, then the capacitors are already starting to fail. So, I will have them put a 4th one in it. Maybe this time it's the front?

20201223_123633.jpg
Holy crap, what a shit show. I hope you can get it resolved. Have you tried the zautomotive wiring harness thing?

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Holy crap, what a shit show. I hope you can get it resolved. Have you tried the zautomotive wiring harness thing?
I considered it, definitely. But I want to have the electronic sensor fixed before considering the bypass. It's ridiculous that they don't have the sensor available as a separate part yet. So I will keep forcing Stellantis to repair it on their dime.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I considered it, definitely. But I want to have the electronic sensor fixed before considering the bypass. It's ridiculous that they don't have the sensor available as a separate part yet. So I will keep forcing Stellantis to repair it on their dime.
I don’t blame you for that. It seems like after they replaced $1,000,000 worth of axles they would get the message. But at the same time I think I would get sick of having the Jeep at the dealership.

I actually just went with an ARB air locker

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Is there any way to accelerate this problem? I ask because if it’s likely to happen to us all sooner or later, I’d rather have it happen and have the axle replaced sooner rather than later and immediately have the gears swapped and sensor potted right after. I presume that after a gear swap they wouldn’t be covered by warranty.

Last edited: