Problems

sandy.h

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Symptoms started Oct21 with intermittent loss of auto start CEL once a week, then the traction control CEL, then ABS CEL. These were intermittent every few days. From there, the loss of speedo and shifting ability as well as loss of steering. The CELs would flash on and off randomly And reset themselves after several starts if there were no occurrences. Steering and shifter reset required stopping and turning off vehicle. It blew every code- like 3 full pages- so the dealer was at a loss and replaced a harness near a heat shield and checked grounds. They even got caught breaking a major harness connector when I had a 2nd dealer look at it. They were more than ready to throw expensive parts at it but with no guarantee if it didn’t work! I was already outside warranty at 90k miles. My 2018 JLU Sport has been flawless except for this gremlin. I read everything and talked with anyone and got nowhere. About 2 months ago, I was wiggling the star connector wires and recreated the errors. I inspected every wire, connector and the plugs and it all looked fine. It began to get worse in the last two weeks making it unsafe to drive and hard to get anywhere when the shifter coded out. There was nothing published on the connector really, so I ordered one up- natl back order. Came in yesterday and took 5 minutes to swap- all fixed. Original connector must have shorted or relay or resistor failed/failing. My name is jon and my number is 805-754-5220 and I want to pass on any help I can to anyone. It was a 10 month hell and I literally had given up hope! The connector purchase was a last ditch Hail Mary.
Aloha,
Quick question, I ordered the green connector and just received it. Do I need to disconnect the battery before I replace it? Or can I just go ahead and do it while the vehicle is not running?

Here is some background info on my nightmare:
I’ve owned my 2018 Jeep JL for about over three years now. Almost the entire time it has given me issues. We were on a mountain trail the first time it happened which was the most frustrating thing ever.

Jeep revs and then a couple messages pop up. Only one of them I was able to read and remember. It read:

“Service transmission. Continue is D. Do not turn engine off until you have reached your desired location. You will not be able to shift again until serviced.”

Whhhhhaaaaaattttttt!!!!!????? Then it tells me to shift to P then back to D. Welp, it doesn’t let me put it back into D. So now I’m stuck on this narrow only way up and down off the mountain bumpy AF trail. Longer story short, I finally decided I was gonna turn off the vehicle after checking under the jeep. Tried to start the jeep, it does nothing. Tried a few more times, same story. Waited a few minutes then finally it turned back on. Turned my ass around as soon as a I could.

Took it to the dealership, but now the check engine light isn’t on and no stored messages. They don’t know what’s wrong and they can’t find out because no codes are given. Over the next couple of years I’ve had that message a few times along with “Service Electronic Stability Control”. But wait a few minutes, after turning it off, and it works. Sometimes, but not all the time, it has kicked me out of gear and revved then put me back into gear. This happens when I’m driving at higher speeds. If it does that at lower speeds (Like in a parking lot), it tells me to shift into P then back into D. Then message pops up saying “Stop/Start Unavailable. Service Stop/Start System” and the traction control light comes on.

Ive taken the jeep to the dealership about 12 times over the last three years to get these problems fixed. But every time I take it in, no codes show. They did replace something in the transmission but that didn’t fix it. Noooooooowwwww, my jeep is no longer under warranty! 🙄 Problem still happens. Not all the time but often enough. I cringe every time I hit a pothole, which happens very often here! Anybody got any clue of what it could be? So I could try to fix it myself instead of paying a $200 diagnostic fee for them to tell me they can’t fix a problem they can’t see.

Took it to a shop that specializes in jeeps. They said they didnt trace the wires but put some dielectric grease on some connections. It stopped happening for about a month and now its hapoening more often than ever. Almost everytime I drive it, it happens. Ive even gotten stuck on an offramp holding up major traffic! So embarrassing!
Sponsored

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry for your troubles. This could fix it. Or not. That's how CANBUS issues go on these things. I swapped mine out without pulling the battery cable. There's no active circuitry in the box, just capacitors, resistors and traces.

Kingfisher

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Aloha,
Quick question, I ordered the green connector and just received it. Do I need to disconnect the battery before I replace it? Or can I just go ahead and do it while the vehicle is not running?

Here is some background info on my nightmare:
I’ve owned my 2018 Jeep JL for about over three years now. Almost the entire time it has given me issues. We were on a mountain trail the first time it happened which was the most frustrating thing ever.

Jeep revs and then a couple messages pop up. Only one of them I was able to read and remember. It read:

“Service transmission. Continue is D. Do not turn engine off until you have reached your desired location. You will not be able to shift again until serviced.”

Whhhhhaaaaaattttttt!!!!!????? Then it tells me to shift to P then back to D. Welp, it doesn’t let me put it back into D. So now I’m stuck on this narrow only way up and down off the mountain bumpy AF trail. Longer story short, I finally decided I was gonna turn off the vehicle after checking under the jeep. Tried to start the jeep, it does nothing. Tried a few more times, same story. Waited a few minutes then finally it turned back on. Turned my ass around as soon as a I could.

Took it to the dealership, but now the check engine light isn’t on and no stored messages. They don’t know what’s wrong and they can’t find out because no codes are given. Over the next couple of years I’ve had that message a few times along with “Service Electronic Stability Control”. But wait a few minutes, after turning it off, and it works. Sometimes, but not all the time, it has kicked me out of gear and revved then put me back into gear. This happens when I’m driving at higher speeds. If it does that at lower speeds (Like in a parking lot), it tells me to shift into P then back into D. Then message pops up saying “Stop/Start Unavailable. Service Stop/Start System” and the traction control light comes on.

Ive taken the jeep to the dealership about 12 times over the last three years to get these problems fixed. But every time I take it in, no codes show. They did replace something in the transmission but that didn’t fix it. Noooooooowwwww, my jeep is no longer under warranty! 🙄 Problem still happens. Not all the time but often enough. I cringe every time I hit a pothole, which happens very often here! Anybody got any clue of what it could be? So I could try to fix it myself instead of paying a $200 diagnostic fee for them to tell me they can’t fix a problem they can’t see.

Took it to a shop that specializes in jeeps. They said they didnt trace the wires but put some dielectric grease on some connections. It stopped happening for about a month and now its hapoening more often than ever. Almost everytime I drive it, it happens. Ive even gotten stuck on an offramp holding up major traffic! So embarrassing!
You do not have to disconnect the battery. Ensure power is off, open glove box door, empty contents, disengage plastic box and rotate forward, locate green connector literally right in front of you, disengage connector and replace with new one. Hopefully this fixes the problem!
Sponsored