Problem with Alien Sun Shade

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2013 Mazda MX5 Club
Thanks for this thread, won't be ordering from Alienshade now.
The sunshades are solid, it is just the front clips that are the issue. As I mentioned before I was never a fan of the clips...I will report back with a work around this weekend.
Sponsored

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I came up with a fix for the clips...simply use the bold holes in the windshield frame. Simply use your tool kit and take out the 4 windshield bolts on the sides of the sin visors. I used my cordless drill to quickly remove and reinstall the bolts. You do not need to lower the entire windshield. I just used a pool noodle to give me enough room to work.
I used 6" bungee balls to secure the front of the sunscreen. It was nice and tight in the front. If you would rather have some slack, use 8" bungee balls that can be ordered on amazon for a reasonable price. Be sure to put the balls on the top so it does not interfere with the sun visors. I also used the holes on the side of the roll bar frame for the side bungee ball mounts to even out the mesh. Overall I am very satisfied with the results...and yes I know the mesh in upside down...I would rather see the logo in the Jeep than from the top which few people see.
Here are the pics:
AS1.jpg
AS2.jpg
AS3.jpg
AS4.jpg
AS5.jpg

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have resorted to using the windshield bolts to retain the t-bar bungees that come with the shade. I spaced the windshield away from the cross bar similar to what you did and used painters tape to hold them in place while the loop of the bungee was around the raised portion of the crossbar bolt holes. I then lowered the windshield, installed the bolts and removed the painters tape. Then installed the shade per the shade instructions.

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have resorted to using the windshield bolts to retain the t-bar bungees that come with the shade. I spaced the windshield away from the cross bar similar to what you did and used painters tape to hold them in place while the loop of the bungee was around the raised portion of the crossbar bolt holes. I then lowered the windshield, installed the bolts and removed the painters tape. Then installed the shade per the shade instructions.
I like how tight mine is to the front. There is no gap to that the sun will blind you. The gap in the back is nice for the air to escape when the windows are down. The key is to lower you back windows a little for air flow.

Did your method pull the sunshade forward a little? That little front gap in Florida is a killer with the sun here in the summer.

as3-jpg.jpg

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The gap is close to what it was using the clips. Maybe a little more. It is pretty much covered by the visors.

I live in San Diego and hear you about the sun in that gap. I may try your method to see if I like it better.

Sponsored

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have the exact same issue, all of my front clips bent and can't use the shade in the front now

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Hey Andrew @AlienSunshade - thank you for the offer but not necessary. The straps actually work better without the clips when you use the windshield bolts to hold the front bungees. Not sure why everyone is so freaked out by tilting the windshield forward. It's actually faster than fiddling with the clips.

Really appreciate you reaching out.
So I was told using the bolts for the bungee cords makes the Gap not as big is that true

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I was told using the bolts for the bungee cords makes the Gap not as big is that true
My solution:

I purchased the "long" style SpiderBalls ($1 each) from their competitor (SPIDERWEBSHADE), which are about 8" long.

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/collections/accessories/products/spiderballs-1

These appear to be identical match to the bungee balls which get installed onto the side bars, provided in the Alien Sunshade kit.

So, I ended up with eight of the same length bungee balls for the front windshield bar (4 total) and the driver and passenger side bars (4 total; 2 per side).

I installed the front bungee balls passing through the holes for the windshield mounting bolts.

I also installed the side bar bungees passing through holes in the frame, which differs from the installation instructions. I think the holes are used for mounting a soft top, which I don't have. I did this because I previously installed some grab handles onto the bars and utilizing the frame holes keeps the bungees from interfering with the handles.

There is a little section of slightly "loose" shade material between the front two center bungees, which I don't mind.

I can confirm that this configuration keeps the sunshade tight up against the front bar, without any gaps.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. It's raining out now and I can't get any good pictures in my dark garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
The difference is negligible. It’s plenty stretchy to pull the front back and undo the latches for the freedom tops. The fit is near perfect when you use the bolts.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had two issues, the clips stretched on mine and the shade itself started to tear at the the holding points. Complete garbage. I called alien sunshade and waited over 6 months and still nothing..Their service is not good and their product is worse

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I had two issues, the clips stretched on mine and the shade itself started to tear at the the holding points. Complete garbage. I called alien sunshade and waited over 6 months and still nothing..Their service is not good and their product is worse
They went out of business a couple months ago you won't get no warranty.Alan the owner sold it to some people that offered him a price he couldn't refuse couple months later they let it go don't understand why he was pretty upset himself

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
The clips in mine all bent after about a month too. The 2 on the edges popped right out when I was unlatching the freedom panels. Going to try looping around the bolt. The bungee balls all seem to be holding up fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Problem with Alien Sun Shade 7978FBC3-C3F0-4F7E-9F53-ED852FFE5CAB

morph860

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe's (Rubicon X and Grand Cherokee Anniv.)
I just reinstalled the front cords around the windshield bolts. The shade fits a lot better now and feels more secure. Just hoping the metal bolts don’t start to eat into the cords. The only time they should really have any extra stress on them is when I’m taking the freedom panels off and putting them back on. For those that have done this, how is it holding up?

Overall, I’m very happy with the fit of the front and rear alien shades. Don’t mind the bungee balls.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just reinstalled the front cords around the windshield bolts. The shade fits a lot better now and feels more secure. Just hoping the metal bolts don’t start to eat into the cords. For those that have done this, how is it holding up?

Overall, I’m very happy with the fit of the front and rear alien shades. Don’t mind the bungee balls.
@morph860

You can buy bungees, just like what came with the Alien for cheap cheap, on eBAY.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know the actually size (in inches) of each of the bungees used in the Alien Sunshade two piece unit? in installing the screens today, on two bungees the metal clips that keep the cords in place snapped and came undone. I could try to fix them with a pair of needle nose pliers but i figure that it would be easier/better to just purchase spares from eBay.
Sponsored