First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Yep, and a lot of it is caused by the price of fuel. Our Government, just sold one million barrels from our countries back up system reserves to China..:mad: So why wasn’t that used to help our people with this currently horrible high gas and diesel cost? Something just isn’t right..
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yep, and a lot of it is caused by the price of fuel. Our Government, just sold one million barrels from our countries back up system reserves to China..:mad: So why wasn’t that used to help our people with this currently horrible high gas and diesel cost? Something just isn’t right..
Many times that amount was sold to Europe, but that discussion would lead into political discourse...which is a quick path to getting banned.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Today I built the same Jeep as a 2023. Now the sticker is $69,322!
I honestly can't even fathom these prices and how everyday people can afford them. But then I just saw a video from a car dealer who said that repos are at record levels already. There have been over 2.2 million thus far this year, and we're barely over half way through it. He also said prime loans are defaulting. What was nuts is that some of the vehicle purchasers only made one or two payments then bailed. Who does that? I think there is going to be a glut of used vehicles in a year or so. He was showing the auction yard and there were thousands of cars. He said the banks don't want to flood the market, so they're sitting on them, trickling them out.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Next "Bubble" to burst is the sub- prime car loan bubble. It was showing signs of stress before Covid, these payments are the size of what used to be mortgage payments. One hiccup in that paycheck to paycheck, and Hello, Domino Effect.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
LOL. It's been fun reading through this thread and silently checking off all the things I did wrong...

MSRP... ✅
Trade-in... ✅
Negotiated based on a monthly payment... ✅
Agreed to stretch out financing... ✅ (but not to 108 months)
Will likely spring for the extended warranty... ✅

But I'm going to try to find some solace in the fact that I'm still getting the Jeep I want with a payment I can afford. Plus, I tend to keep my mileage low enough that it should still be going strong after it's paid off, even with the extended terms of the loan.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
LOL. It's been fun reading through this thread and silently checking off all the things I did wrong...

MSRP... ✅
Trade-in... ✅
Negotiated based on a monthly payment... ✅
Agreed to stretch out financing... ✅ (but not to 108 months)
Will likely spring for the extended warranty... ✅

But I'm going to try to find some solace in the fact that I'm still getting the Jeep I want with a payment I can afford. Plus, I tend to keep my mileage low enough that it should still be going strong after it's paid off, even with the extended terms of the loan.
Im sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've learned some lessons and gained some knowledge.

Check out YAA (Father and son, Ray & Zack). They offer some really good information. Kevin Hunter does as well.

YAA's earliest videos is where the meat is at. Sadly, their latest videos are becoming annoying. They received a big influx of cash and have went downhill ever since, IMO.

In their defense, there are only so many ways to say the same information over and over. I keep watching them to follow the trends in auto sales.

Just be advised, when you see the auto sales curtain pulled back it will infuriate what dealers try to do to you.

Thats why a lot of us purchased many miles and states away from honest dealers like Gupton.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Im sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've learned some lessons and gained some knowledge.

Check out YAA (Father and son, Ray & Zack). They offer some really good information. Kevin Hunter does as well.

YAA's earliest videos is where the meat is at. Sadly, their latest videos are becoming annoying. They received a big influx of cash and have went downhill ever since, IMO.

In their defense, there are only so many ways to say the same information over and over. I keep watching them to follow the trends in auto sales.

Just be advised, when you see the auto sales curtain pulled back it will infuriate what dealers try to do to you.

Thats why a lot of us purchased many miles and states away from honest dealers like Gupton.
Thanks, but there's no need to be sorry. If I'm being honest I really haven't learned anything. I just see value differently than you do. If someone gives me something I want for a price that I am comfortable with, I'm okay with making that deal. The fact that it isn't the best deal I could make doesn't matter as much to me as it might to some. And in the grand scheme of things we need people like me willing to pay retail, otherwise the dealers you're getting these deals from would go out of business... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Thanks, but there's no need to be sorry. If I'm being honest I really haven't learned anything. I just see value differently than you do. If someone gives me something I want for a price that I am comfortable with, I'm okay with making that deal. The fact that it isn't the best deal I could make doesn't matter as much to me as it might to some.
It's all perspective. I'll totally admit that I'm a frugal cheap-ass and love to find the best deals for most anything, but still couldn't talk myself into booking a flight and then driving over 9 hours back home to save a few thousand vs my local dealers (not including gas/airfare). Thankfully, an almost equivalent deal only 4 1/2 hours away sprang up, and I felt that was worth the extra time and effort for the money saved.

Not that I feel my time is worth an exorbitant amount, just that it's constantly booked up by work and other shit that needs to get done. Haven't taken a vacation in almost a decade and a long-ass road trip just isn't my idea of some good R&R at this point in time (and paying for shipping negates a large portion of any savings).

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Thanks, but there's no need to be sorry. If I'm being honest I really haven't learned anything. I just see value differently than you do. If someone gives me something I want for a price that I am comfortable with, I'm okay with making that deal. The fact that it isn't the best deal I could make doesn't matter as much to me as it might to some. And in the grand scheme of things we need people like me willing to pay retail, otherwise the dealers you're getting these deals from would go out of business... :)
Interesting take on it. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters.

The advantage of your approach is you will likely get better after-sale service should an issue arise that requires the sales-side of the dealer go to bat for you.

I have several friends that have sold vehicles for many years. They jokingly? call me a Grinder.

When we run or kayak many times we talk about the car business. I ask them how I am talked about at their stores. I was not surprised to learn I'm not their favorite type of customer, but they both said there is also certain level of respect for me being well-educated on the sales process and not putting up with the BS (ADM, Nitrogen tire fill, protection packages, stating a monthly payment, etc)

In early 2020, right before the world caught fire, we went to buy a new SUV. When we walked up to the vehicle, it already had a dealer added sticker with all the usual bullshit on it. My salesman/friend looked at me, said "Yeah, I know" and pulled it off.

In the end, I understand a dealership needs profit to stay in business. I just want most of that profit to come from others. 🙂
Sponsored