Prices just keep climbing.....

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Glad I got my 21 rubicon when I did. I hate to see what a new jeep will cost in 10 years......barf!
Hate to see what a Jeep may become in 10 years. Non removable Integral top/solar panel , eco friendly narrow short sidewall tires, eco friendly aerodynamic shape, lowered to prevent roll over in crash tests, wandering- death wobble prone SFA and fold down windshield banned to keep us safe but tow package standard equipment so you can tow a generator if you want to spend a few days in the wild, assuming it can still get there. :puke:
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Ordered my Willys in April. Sticker came to $53,755. Just got my window sticker and it says $54,500. Prices out an identical 2023 on the Jeep website and it came out to $55,400. If everything goes smoothly, I was promised the Tread Lightly 1% under invoice which was $51,045. I'm eligible for first responder $500 rebate and USAA/TrueCar $500 military rebate so I should pay about $50K even. Not as big as some of the biggest discounts I've seen but I guess $5400 off of current 2023 pricing. It's pretty hard to believe how expensive vehicles are becoming.
Cheap interest rates and high demand will do that. Until recently interest rates were extremely low which means people could buy more than they could afford. So manf/dealers capitalized on that.

Beach Bum 89

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiat Spider
Prove it.
My Jeep is cheaper in 2023 than what I paid for my 2022. Willys Sport 2 door. Added A/C, tow, half doors, window bag, & grab handles. A/C is now standard. Exact same build came up about $325 less than my build from last year.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the average numer of months financed is too.
36mo used to be the norm, then 60mo. Now its not uncommon for people to go 72 and 84mo.

I just configured a 2023 JLUR with the same options as my 2019. Its over $5000 more expensive. Only difference being my 2019 has the v6 vs 4cyl turbo.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I wonder what the average numer of months financed is too.
36mo used to be the norm, then 60mo. Now its not uncommon for people to go 72 and 84mo.
Currently 71 months. Tho 84 and 96 are becoming more common and I've read 108 loans are available now.

The biggest issue is average people who know little about car deals, depreciation and finance and jump on the 10% down band wagon will be upside down on the loan until the very end.

I'll bet no F&I guy in recorded history has ever explained that to people.

It just amazes me how virtually everyone is a payment buyer.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Currently 71 months. Tho 84 and 96 are becoming more common and I've read 108 loans are available now.

The biggest issue is average people who know little about car deals, depreciation and finance and jump on the 10% down band wagon will be upside down on the loan until the very end.

I'll bet no F&I guy in recorded history has ever explained that to people.

It just amazes me how virtually everyone is a payment buyer.
People falling into the trap of "what do you want your payment to be?". Strech that loan out and you can get that payment down.

108mo. That's nuts. I'm a rare exception with our other vehicles being 9 and 21 years old and buying them new, so I keep vehicles until the wheels fall of. Most won't ever pay off a 72/84/108 year loan before rolling it into another vehicle loan.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
People falling into the trap of "what do you want your payment to be?". Strech that loan out and you can get that payment down.

108mo. That's nuts. I'm a rare exception with our other vehicles being 9 and 21 years old and buying them new, so I keep vehicles until the wheels fall of. Most won't ever pay off a 72/84/108 year loan before rolling it into another vehicle loan.
NEVER tell them what you want your monthly payment to be. By manipulating the number of monthly payments they can charge you more for the car by extending the loan length. See example below;

Monthly payment $775.71 60 months Amount financed $40,000
Monthly payment $774.48 72 months Amount financed $47,250
Monthly payment $759.46 87 months Amount financed $55,000

A used car dealer tried to pull something like this on my daughter year ago, he had her hook, line, and sinker. Also, NEVER trade a car into the dealer, they will charge you more for the car you are buying. If you do want to trade one in, negotiate the prie of the car before you tell them you want to trade a car in. NEVER trust a car dealer, they make more money by charging you more. This is kind of an oversimplified example, but the concept is the same.

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Considering the average monthly wage in America right now is $4,422, the average person should not be spending anywhere near $712 per month on a car payment. That's crazy. Especially since cars depreciate so much as soon as you drive them off the lot. Sad fact is, if you're rich or at least "comfortable", you can pay cash for a car and save a ton on interest payments. While your average fellow Americans pay so much more for the same car with payments and interest. The wealthy save money big time by paying cash for cars. Not fair, but that's capitalism, free markets, blah blah for ya.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
NEVER tell them what you want your monthly payment to be.
I had a car salesman badgering me on that. He kept asking how much I wanted to pay per month. I finally said, "One hundred dollars." He shut up and left me alone after that.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Plus used car values, are up approx. 40%. There doesn’t seem to be any end in sight. But because of the interest rate hike, home prices may level off, or even drop some.
Just a note, but this is " Inflation" at work. Everything goes up; home prices may come down, but higher interest rates wipe out any savings to the purchaser.
When the Music Stops, it will be with a Bang.
These increases across the board are unsustainable, when employment falters, the Pay Check to Pay Check people will be the first casualties of the coming Cascade Effect.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Exactly that @Nitehawk92. Good to see some others know the game.

The problem is so many people think the salesperson is their friend because they are always "so nice". In reality, virtually 100% of the time, they are not.

Jeep Wrangler JL Prices just keep climbing..... 20220704_102855

There are rare exceptions, like the fella I buy my wife's SUVs from, he is a fellow runner so I know him outside the dealership. He's a decent enough guy, but when we sit down to hammer out the deal, I also realize he's working for the stealership, not me.

Make your best deal, always deflecting the budget / monthly payment question they will ask you 100 times, never say you're paying cash (which I always do now), never let them run a hard credit check unless you end up financing through them.

Wanna really see the salespersons true identity? If you are considering a trade, tell them you aren't trading.

Once you have hammered out the final cost of the vehicle, before you go to F&I then say you would like a bid on your trade. They will do an instant Jeckle/Hyde transformation. Man that pisses them off.

If you end up considering their financing (which you should do ONLY after you've contacted your bank / credit union and gotten their going car loan rates) make them provide the estimated break even point where you come up out of being under water on the loan.

This will make the F&I person furious (a fun bonus), but they most likely won't show it because once you've agreed on a price in sales and hit F&I they will do virtually anything to keep you from walking out because the SM and GM will LOSE THEIR MINDS if you do.

This is why our Gupton experiences are so rare and refreshing. NONE of the bullshit to deal with.
Sponsored