18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
If you are in a parking garage or something, just back it up close to a cement pillar...no room for them to work at getting it off.

Sponsored

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
If you are in a parking garage or something, just back it up close to a cement pillar...no room for them to work at getting it off.
^^^ This ^^^

In all my years, the only time I lost a spare was in downtown Chicago when someone clipped the wire cable holding it to the bottom of my Explorer. After that, I just replaced it w/ an old rusted Cherokee wheel/tire since that seemed to fit. No more thefts.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
^^^ This ^^^

In all my years, the only time I lost a spare was in downtown Chicago when someone clipped the wire cable holding it to the bottom of my Explorer. After that, I just replaced it w/ an old rusted Cherokee wheel/tire since that seemed to fit. No more thefts.
Yeah, i've heard a public garage is a popular place to steal spares, especially at airports. I always avoid driving anywhere where I'm going to have to park in a garage, #1 because I don't know if my Jeep would fit and #2 for this exact reason! We'll always take the wife's Grand Cherokee rather than my rig.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Kryptonite chain lock.
I was also going to say something similar. If you're just looking to lock it for vacation, just throw a bike lock or something on it. Anyone looking to steel wheels/tires is going to have the tools necessary for the lug locks, but might be surprised by a bike lock.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Relocated my spare to top of cargo area security enclosure with truck bed spare tire mount. Uses a bicycle style lock through D rings.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What is everyone using to prevent spare tire theft? On my JK I used 3 different locking lugs. On my JL I am using the Artec Industries license plate relocation bracket so that is using up two of the lugs..............for the third I was considering a locking lug but I can't find any for JL aftermarket wheels. All I can find are spline lug nut sets. What is everyone using? Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit: Additional info for the funny guys out there............My spare has not been stolen and never has. Not even when I lived in DC. I'm asking because I like to drive my Jeep when going on vacation. There are always thieves in vacation spots. I'm not concerned about parking in my neighborhood, work, or anywhere local where I park.

These don't fit JL aftermarket wheels I take it?:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/wheel-locks-wrangler-jl

I mean sure: they're at best a deterrent, but physically, they don't fit your after market wheels?

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
What is everyone using to prevent spare tire theft? On my JK I used 3 different locking lugs. On my JL I am using the Artec Industries license plate relocation bracket so that is using up two of the lugs..............for the third I was considering a locking lug but I can't find any for JL aftermarket wheels. All I can find are spline lug nut sets. What is everyone using? Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit: Additional info for the funny guys out there............My spare has not been stolen and never has. Not even when I lived in DC. I'm asking because I like to drive my Jeep when going on vacation. There are always thieves in vacation spots. I'm not concerned about parking in my neighborhood, work, or anywhere local where I park.
Hey there,

Here is a pack of the Mopar locks:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/wheel-locks-wrangler-jl

Jeep Wrangler JL Preventing Spare Tire Theft {filename}

When you purchase aftermarket wheels just make sure to get a lug nut kit that includes the locks such as (They come in black or chrome):

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/23-piece-classic-acorn-style-wheel-lug-nut-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

Or these:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/gorilla-automotive/factory-style-acorn-lug-23pc-kit-78-hex-14mm-x-1-19-jeep-wrangler-jl

Have a great day!
Hailey

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Didn't your Jeep come with the Mopar lock lugs? Mine did and included one for the spare and the original standard lugs and the key were left in the glove box inside the locking lugs packaging. I thought this was standard protocol at the dealerships. The Mopar locksing lugs are pretty nice, you can't put a vice grip or any wrench on them because they have an outer sleeve that just spins if you clamp on it.
The dealership also has generic Mopar lug keys so they don't need to reply on the customer bringing their key with them.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
These were on sale (Amazon) a few months ago. Much cheaper back then. Much lower profile than the mopar/mcgard locks (which stick out quite a bit).

Sponsored