Preventing Spare Tire Theft

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
What is everyone using to prevent spare tire theft? On my JK I used 3 different locking lugs. On my JL I am using the Artec Industries license plate relocation bracket so that is using up two of the lugs..............for the third I was considering a locking lug but I can't find any for JL aftermarket wheels. All I can find are spline lug nut sets. What is everyone using? Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit: Additional info for the funny guys out there............I'm asking because I like to drive my Jeep when going on vacation. There are always thieves in vacation spots. I'm not concerned about parking in my neighborhood, work, or anywhere local where I park.
Probably not helpful, but you could think about a spare tire delete or just take the spare off. I get that there should be a better solution, but what are the odds you need the spare anyway? I don't think that I personally have changed a tire in this millennium.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Probably not helpful, but you could think about a spare tire delete or just take the spare off. I get that there should be a better solution, but what are the odds you need the spare anyway? I don't think that I personally have changed a tire in this millennium.
Yeah I've always thought about this and just throwing the spare in the back of my rig when wheeling.

Sponsored

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Locking lug nuts just keep the honest people honest. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it. Is spare tire theft an issue In the places you travel. There really isn’t a full proof solution. I don’t own a tornado shelter and I often speed ,sometimes you just got to have a little risk in your life. Do You think these dealership didn’t have locking lug nuts. ....

95DED46F-9B81-4356-9390-286B2A8EEF70.png

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Locking lug nuts just keep the honest people honest. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it. Is spare tire theft an issue In the places you travel. There really isn’t a full proof solution. I don’t own a tornado shelter and I often speed ,sometimes you just got to have a little risk in your life. Do You think these dealership didn’t have locking lug nuts. ....

95DED46F-9B81-4356-9390-286B2A8EEF70.png
Regarding dealerships using locking lugs............the dealerships in my area don't have them installed (at least not when I was shopping for my JK or my JL and my wife's Grand Cherokee), neither did the dealership I bought my JL from in PA.

I can't really say the beaches I travel to and the ski resorts I travel to are high theft areas, I doubt they are. I just don't want to test this. I'd rather do all I can do to keep my spare safe. And you're 100% correct, if a thief really wants my spare the POS will get it.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I bought some gorilla locking lug nuts that match my black wheels. I actually have three of the four that came in the pack on the spare. Same concept as mentioned before. It will slow them down. In my case slamming a socket over one won't cut it. Have to get to all three.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I bought some gorilla locking lug nuts that match my black wheels. I actually have three of the four that came in the pack on the spare. Same concept as mentioned before. It will slow them down. In my case slamming a socket over one won't cut it. Have to get to all three.
Who'd you purchase them from? All I see are vendors selling the Gorilla locking lugs for the OEM wheels.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'll take my chances, if they want it they can have it, I just have my stock JLUR spare on. When I get aftermarket wheels I'll use wheel locks

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager