Preventative Upgrade Recommendations

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Xtreme Recon
Good evening,

My 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR 2.0T is the first wrangler in my family and I want to make sure it lasts interior and exterior. Are there any upgrades that may help maintain reliability, interior integrity, and or common failure factory parts?

I have purchased some reinforced Sun visor brackets from a recommendation in another forum post but am looking from experienced JL owners on anything else I should upgrade to keep the Jeep trucking along without minor fails along the way.

Thank you for your help!

Ryan

Jeep Wrangler JL Preventative Upgrade Recommendations E12E0833-F7ED-419A-8717-7EE13E659824
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Nice first Wrangler!
One of the first things I did was Cerakote all the exterior plastic trim so it doesn’t fade.
I swear by the stuff. Used it on my YJ and now on my JL.
It works great and prevents a known “Jeep thing” from happening in the first place.
I reapply it once a year and haven’t had any issues with my fender flares, door handles, etc.

Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - https://a.co/d/24o4THU

Jeep Wrangler JL Preventative Upgrade Recommendations AC4233C4-6ECC-48F1-8F3B-EBE2B7F625A8

OP
OP
WillysXtreme2.0
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, I recommend screen protectors for the audio display and the gauge cluster if your going to go on any dusty trails.
Thank you! I have one on my 8.4 but not in my gauge cluster - I will look into that!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey, another white hard top / black fender desert build!
I see what you did there, good call!

To keep it nice, start with protective stuff. This is specific for desert.
  • Screen protector for the radio display. Desert dust on fingers will be abrasive.
  • 3M Paint Surface Protective Film on the door hinges. Small rocks will get flung into them. If one hits just right you will get a chip. The film helps and is invisible.
  • Removable mudflaps (at least for the front) such as Rokblokz.
    This will help with rock chips. Without them desert mud will completely encase the door handles. Remember they can be ripped off when reversing on rough terrain so remove when appropriate.
  • Door sill guards that completely cover the paint. That paint will be stepped on and desert dirt is extra abrasive. There is a trick to installing them without gaps, look for videos.
  • Use a UV protector on any plastic parts such as Cerakote. Don't wait until it starts to fade, it's inevitable in AZ.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WillysXtreme2.0
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, another white hard top / black fender desert build!
I see what you did there, good call!

To keep it nice, start with protective stuff. This is specific for desert.
  • Screen protector for the radio display. Desert dust on fingers will be abrasive.
  • 3M Paint Surface Protective Film on the door hinges. Small rocks will get flung into them. If one hits just right you will get a chip. The film helps and is invisible.
  • Removable mudflaps (at least for the front) such as Rokblokz.
    This will help with rock chips. Without them desert mud will completely encase the door handles. Remember they can be ripped off when reversing on rough terrain so remove when appropriate.
  • Door sill guards that completely cover the paint. That paint will be stepped on and desert dirt is extra abrasive. There is a trick to installing them without gaps, look for videos.
  • Use a UV protector on any plastic parts such as Cerakote. Don't wait until it starts to fade, it's inevitable in AZ.
I have rugged ridge door sill guards and 8.4 screen protector - I’ll look into your other recommendations! Thank you very much!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, one more thing. You are going to find small rocks constantly getting wedged between the fenders and body. Lightly wedge this weather stripping in there to help keep them out. Use the .38" size, 25' is just enough to do all four fenders. If you wedge it in evenly it will look OEM.
https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Cord-Stock-Rubber-Seal/dp/B00NL4D6SK

OP
OP
WillysXtreme2.0
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Door sill guards —I’d skip the Mopar sill guards though; they are too small. I like the Quadratecs; some people just use clear film
  2. Door hinge protectors —clear film will will do
  3. Mud flaps —I like the Mopars, but they don’t fit JLs with rock rails
  4. Slush mats —I like the Quadratecs.
  5. A good paint treatment —I like Klasse, Crystal-Glo, or a good ceramic spray
  6. A good plastic dressing like 303

Deleted member 59498

Anyone used the screen protector in really cold weather? Do they resist the cold fairly well or a waste to use at temps below 0F?

Sponsored

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Oh, one more thing. You are going to find small rocks constantly getting wedged between the fenders and body. Lightly wedge this weather stripping in there to help keep them out. Use the .38" size, 25' is just enough to do all four fenders. If you wedge it in evenly it will look OEM.
https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Cord-Stock-Rubber-Seal/dp/B00NL4D6SK
Reinen, I like this idea!

I have a new (less than 300 miles) 2022 Willys Sport, and like the OP I would like to take whatever preventative measures I can with my Jeep. About this Trim-Lok Cord rubber seal, I'm just wondering if you have any halfway-long-term experience with using it as you suggest (in the gap between the fenders and the body, to keep out small rocks), and if you know how long it might hold up or last being used in that way.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reinen, I like this idea!

I have a new (less than 300 miles) 2022 Willys Sport, and like the OP I would like to take whatever preventative measures I can with my Jeep. About this Trim-Lok Cord rubber seal, I'm just wondering if you have any halfway-long-term experience with using it as you suggest (in the gap between the fenders and the body, to keep out small rocks), and if you know how long it might hold up or last being used in that way.
I've had that weatherstripping in for a couple months shy of 2 years (I'm an early '21). Still looks like new. Just be sure to pull the ends under the fender to hold it in securely. If the ends are secure the rest will stay in place and It will last. If it doesn't last for whatever reason it's very easy to remove, just grab an end and pull it out.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I've had that weatherstripping in for a couple months shy of 2 years (I'm an early '21). Still looks like new. Just be sure to pull the ends under the fender to hold it in securely. If the ends are secure the rest will stay in place and It will last. If it doesn't last for whatever reason it's very easy to remove, just grab an end and pull it out.
Good to know, and thanks Reinen!

Can you tell me where you found that weatherstripping, by chance? Is it something that you had to really search for, maybe? Here in Alaska, businesses are horrible about keeping 2/3 of ordinary things in stock, so half the time or more I have to either wait months for stupid little stuff like that, or order it from out of state, at usually outrageously high shipping costs.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know, and thanks Reinen!

Can you tell me where you found that weatherstripping, by chance? Is it something that you had to really search for, maybe? Here in Alaska, businesses are horrible about keeping 2/3 of ordinary things in stock, so half the time or more I have to either wait months for stupid little stuff like that, or order it from out of state, at usually outrageously high shipping costs.
I got it through Amazon, link provided. Unfortunately I have zero experience with Alaska procurement tricks. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored