Sponsored

Premium or nah?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Mine’s never had anything but 87 since new. Runs great, excellent mileage. I believe thee gineersthat designed the engine know more about what I requires than the keyboard commandos do. IF the stated fuel Requirement was 91, that’s what I’d run, but it is NOT. Frankly, I would never buy a new vehicle today that “requires” premium fuel. Why would you voluntarily choose to pay 30-90 cents/gallon more for fuel? If a person’s got money to just throw away, please contact me-I’ll gladly take your surplus off your hands😏
Sponsored

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2008 BMW 750Li. I tried running regular. It definitely runs better on premium. I wish it didn't.
Understand, Mine was 2012 and had no issues. The computers in the new vehicles will make the adjustment just fine. But some older vehicles do run better with premium. Could be carbon build up too. I throw a bottle of RXP in all my vehicles about once every 3 months just to keep the carbon build in check.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
During the first year of ownership (2021) I used 93/91, until the summer/hot/humid months. I switched to 87 during the colder months.
During this year, I’ve only used 87 octane fuel.
I no longer fill up with 93/91 because I didn’t notice any improved performance/efficiency with the higher octane.

I’m averaging a true 22-24 mpg, depending on my loud pedal control, and/or hwy/mixed/city commute…
This lil JL with the 2.0 is the shizzy!

cheers/B

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
A buddy of mine in the industry basically said that most people where it as a "badge of honor" that their vehicle "requires" premium fuel (which in fact it's a suggestion). The vast majority of vehicles out there will run just fine with regular and the vehicles that state to use premium in the manual is only a suggestion to get the top MPG that's on the sticker. Even when I owed a BMW 7 series, we used regular gas with no issues whatsoever. I think most people like to brag that they spend the extra money for that premium gas - not knocking them, more power to 'em. But unless you have a diesel engine or some other high end vehicle like a Corvette, Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc., you will be fine with regular. That's my 2 cents.
Maybe some use it to be braggadociuos, but if it's "required", like on my RSX-S, it means (especially on an older car like mine) that the car doesn't have the sensors to accommodate a lower octane. For OP, here's a quick read:https://blog.consumerguide.com/do-i-really-need-to-use-premium-gas/

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would base fuel type on how you plan on driving. If you’re just cruising around regular isn’t going to hurt anything, the knock sensor will do its job and retard timing enough to be safe. If you’re towing, or just need peak performance, I’d run premium, the knock sensor will do its job and advance timing (and potentially boost), allowing for more power.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Funny people will spends thousands on crap they will never use then go cheap on fuel.
🙄

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Funny people will spends thousands on crap they will never use then go cheap on fuel.
🙄
Meh, It’s not like regular is corrosive or shortens engine life. It’s just less detonation resistant, and if the engine is tuned to handle it, it causes no damage whatsoever. It will make less power, but if peak performance isn’t required it’s unnecessary. Same reason it’s unnecessary to make the upgrade to 110 octane on cars tuned to run on 91 octane. Can it run it? Sure, but it’s not economical, or necessary for safe operation

Last edited:

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
The way the 2.0 sound like, sometimes people are asking me if it's a diesel.
I pulled up, guy says "Oh you have a diesel"

It quiets down when it gets warm, he should hear it on a cold start.

I'd really like to know what causes the clatter. The other cool morning I was outside as it warmed up, after a bit of mimicking a deisel, it made a "click" sound (like a relay) and got MUCH quieter.

Chris1985

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Patriotic Blue LJ, 2023 JLURXR Sarge Green
Occupation
Vocational Rehabilitation
@GhostTheSahara I just picked mine up so take my opinion with a grain of salt but... If 87 doesn't hurt your rig's engine then do what you will! I also have the 2.0l but fill up at the local Costco here in the Springs. Its either 85 or 91. 85 costs $3.34 and 91 costs $3.95 for a $.61 difference. I could go to the gas station at fill up 87. But the average 87 is $3.64. Now I have the Costco CC with gives 4% cash back on gas. This basically means 91 costs me $3.79. I figure what's .15 more per a gallon? That is like $3.25 difference in filling up the tank. Not worried about it. I hope this helps!

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I have been using 87. As long as you are using a quality gas, you should be fine.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
currently 91 cents a gallon upcharge on 93 vs 88 for something that used to be 20 cents more
hmmm... 91 cents x 20 gallons certainly sounds like more than "a few bucks" to me, especially for zero benefit
Better off painting a racing stripe on the side with the money as at least it might look cool
Towing something heavy would be my only exception

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I seem to have an emotional issue to use higher octane fuel.

When I fill it up with 87, I start sweating, I get anxious. This eventually leads to a deep depression. “What have you done to your poor Jeep, you unworthy asshole!” the voice in my head berates me.

My Jeep though, which is my safe-place, advice-giving, comfort animal always says “Dude, relax, I feel GREAT!” at which point my Jeep holds me and comforts me.

I may need counseling…