Sponsored

The great octane debate: 2.0 Turbo owners - What grade gas do you use?

The great octane debate: 2.0 Turbo owners - What grade gas do you use?

• Total voters

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just wondering what gas type 2.0 T owners are using as I will be getting a 2021 JLUR soon and trying to decide what I want to do fuel wise. I know the manual says the 87 octane can be used but that 91 or higher gives peak performance. I'm guessing lots of vehicle manuals say that though and not sure how much it really matters. I don't think I've ever put higher than 87 octane gas into any vehicle I've ever owned. But I want to do right by this Jeep.

Just looking for a poll to see what most are really doing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Interesting results. Seems like so far almost 2 out of 3 are using premium gas.

Been doing a lot of reading old threads and researching on this and thoughts seem to be all over the board. It seems basically though that with these turbo charged engines, there probably is some benefit to using higher octane gas although people will also do just fine running 87 gas.

Seems like it's pretty tough to quantify the benefit but most stuff I've seen seems to suggest there is likely some benefit even if it's not noticeable. Seems to me at the very least you're not making these turbo engines work quite as hard when you feed them better octane gas even if performance differences in mileage or power aren't noticed. I mean, I know the engine is built to compensate for lower octane gas but common sense would suggest to me that if you don't need to make the engine do that compensation work, it's probably better for the engine in the long haul.

There has to be something to be said for the fact that the manuals for the 2.0T engines in the Wrangler a couple years ago were written to recommend 91 octane gas but then later were changed to say that 87 was okay but 91 is recommended for peak performance.

I think I'll probably be opting for some higher grade just for piece of mind since I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile. I'll have to see what pumps have around me even have. If they have 91, I'll probably use that. If not, I'll probably use at least 89 just for a little extra piece of mind....or maybe alternate 89 and 93.

I guess I look at it sorta like the human body and taking daily vitamins or something. You don't need them to run, but they can help you run at peak performance.

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I am new here, and I'm only trying to figure out which Wrangler is going to fit my needs. I am also no expert, but I currently own my 5th turbo vehicle and I'm fairly certain I'm going with the 2.0 turbo Jeep.

That said, I would not hesitate to run 87 as long as you don't here any engine knock or pinging. IMHO, almost no one is really going to feel any reduction in performance running 87 vs. 91. I thought at one time I could in my modified turbo Audi's, but I think it was in my head. However, I always saw slightly better highway milage with higher octane. In those days, there wasn't such a big price difference, but today I'd run 87. I only ran 91 in one Audi that I ran a T-28 turbo with high boost pressures. My Subaru Ascent runs 87, never knocks or pings, and puts the power down impressively.

On the 2.0 turbo Jeep, I'd likely only run 91 if I was trailering something heavier. Otherwise, I'm hoping 87 will be fine as a DD.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Today's modern computer controlled engines are able to run on multiple octanes because they are learning. When engine behavior indicates lower octane it will retard timing and other factors to deal with the lower octane. This will also lower performance. Putting in higher octane will allow the engine to eventually run settings that enhance performance, although it will take time for the engine to learn that it can run the enhanced settings. May take a few tankful's of 93 in a row? Back when I drove a WRX, I would reset the ECU so it would start learning fresh if was able to get higher octane gas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So, is it safe to say that both 87 and 89 octane gas are going to have the engine running stuff to compensate for lower octane? If that's the case, is it pretty pointless to consider using 89 octane?

Just trying to decide if the only real "rational" decisions are either using 87 or 91/higher. Either make the compensating systems work by using 87 and save money or use 91/higher and give the engine what it ideally would want for max performance? One might think 89 might be a good compromise but not sure it's really a compromise if the engine basically still has to work the same processes it would with 87 by enhancing things. I guess the question is....Does 89 octane really accomplish anything?

Also, perhaps it's not a good idea to be switching octanes back and forth? Like tossing 87 in one week, 93 the next, 87 the next, etc, etc? Maybe better to pick and octane and stick with it if the vehicle systems are learning or working with the octane it senses?

Today's modern computer controlled engines are able to run on multiple octanes because they are learning. When engine behavior indicates lower octane it will retard timing and other factors to deal with the lower octane. This will also lower performance. Putting in higher octane will allow the engine to eventually run settings that enhance performance, although it will take time for the engine to learn that it can run the enhanced settings. May take a few tankful's of 93 in a row? Back when I drove a WRX, I would reset the ECU so it would start learning fresh if was able to get higher octane gas.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I was use premium for the first 2000 miles in my JLUR and was getting pretty poor fuel mileage at 16. Started using 87 octane 600 miles ago and I’m getting 2 to 3 miles per gallon better now. So I’ll stick with 87 from now on.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I use 91 in all of my vehicles unless I can find something higher!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I like power. 89 isn’t enough for peak at this elevation and the next highest is 93 even though 91 or 92 would probably be enough. I run the 93.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I run 87 or 89 unless pulling a trailer of driving high speed in hot weather....I use 91 then.

Sponsored

Bazinga

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door
91 or up here. Mostly 93. No real rational reason. Price difference is negotiable in my area and it might make the rig run slightly better/more efficiently

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I run 87 most of the time, if I know in advance I will be doing some towing I will switch over to 89 or 91 depending more on time of year, when hotter I go with 91 when cool I stay with 89. To be quite honest I have seen absolutely no improvement in performance with either, is anything my MPG goes down when I go up in octane.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I run 91 all the time. We only have 85 or 91 at Costco. I sure as hell won’t run 85. Ever.
Sponsored