Sponsored

Possible to add off-road camera?

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
After ordering on July 3rd, waiting for 5+ months and getting zero updates, I'm thinking of buying a 392 off a lot. Found one build that has everything I want, except the off-road camera. Is it possible to add this later? Please note that I'm not talking about some DYI kit from Amazon. I am talking about adding a factory camera setup, with all the integration, steering-connected visual guidelines, working washer, etc.
I didnā€™t want to wait and same exact thing. Got everything I wanted but trail cam. ā˜¹
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I thought the front cam would just be a nice to have and didn't want to regret not ordering. Very glad I did. As others said... on steep inclines, it is an awesome tool.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
After ordering on July 3rd, waiting for 5+ months and getting zero updates, I'm thinking of buying a 392 off a lot. Found one build that has everything I want, except the off-road camera. Is it possible to add this later? Please note that I'm not talking about some DYI kit from Amazon. I am talking about adding a factory camera setup, with all the integration, steering-connected visual guidelines, working washer, etc.
It can with the big screen, it can't with the small screen like my JLR has. Theirs a good thread on that in the JTR forum. I don't think they make JL's with an incompatible screen so you're good.

there is an easy fix for the off-road camera and works better.

1) Get off the Jeep walk the trail, take mental snapshots of it.
2) Roll down the window and take a look out when possible.
3) Tell your passenger to get off the Jeep and start spotting.

Off road cameras dont capture the real scale of obstacles. They're a marketing gimmick.
I can only guess you don't wheel hard or much. I scoured this forum to see if I should order the camera and all I found is they're great for youtube. I didn't order one because I was happy with the camera I used on my nissan frontier. After jumping in a buddies JLUR with the camera, I decided to sell my rig and order one with a camera.

No one is going to say the factory camera replaces a spotter.

2) Roll down the window and take a look out when possible.

Off road cameras dont capture the real scale of obstacles. They're a marketing gimmick.
That's very funny. How's that going to help with what's in front of you?

there is an easy fix for the off-road camera and works better.

1) Get off the Jeep walk the trail, take mental snapshots of it.

Then when you see them in the camera, you'll have a much better idea. I agree with this step.

As many camera folks have reported on this forum, when you're cresting a hill and you can't see anything out the window (same goes for descents), it's invaluable.

3) Tell your passenger to get off the Jeep and start spotting.

My wife refuses to spot, but she will crawl the line when I'm spotting.

Even my crap camera provides a HUGE advantage over nothing, but it's crap compared to the factory camera.

Not sure itā€™s the same quality, but Tazer has a front cam kit, got one sitting in the garage to put on.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-jl-cam/

I believe youā€™ll need a Tazer, Jscan, or dealer to turn it on.
Low rez

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
...I use mine purely for the cleaning feature....I will spray it at unruly pedestrians when they walk out in front of me. lol

I have used it a few times offroad but have not gotten used to it. I am used to going over the inclines blind while the wife is silently screaming

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It can with the big screen, it can't with the small screen like my JLR has. Theirs a good thread on that in the JTR forum. I don't think they make JL's with an incompatible screen so you're good.

I can only guess you don't wheel hard or much. I scoured this forum to see if I should order the camera and all I found is they're great for youtube. I didn't order one because I was happy with the camera I used on my nissan frontier. After jumping in a buddies JLUR with the camera, I decided to sell my rig and order one with a camera.

No one is going to say the factory camera replaces a spotter.

That's very funny. How's that going to help with what's in front of you?

Then when you see them in the camera, you'll have a much better idea. I agree with this step.

As many camera folks have reported on this forum, when you're cresting a hill and you can't see anything out the window (same goes for descents), it's invaluable.

My wife refuses to spot, but she will crawl the line when I'm spotting.

Even my crap camera provides a HUGE advantage over nothing, but it's crap compared to the factory camera.

Low rez
Chill my man. I do offroad.

Maybe we offroad with different people. I dont do trails with people on nissan frontiers cause theyd get pretty bad body damage.

Nobody is using cameras when we go offroad. I dont know how people have been doing the Rubicon trail and going to Utah without cameras for decades.

My point being. You dont need a camera. You just dont. You should always know whats ahead at the end of a hill. There is no substitute to using your own skill and knowledge on the trail.

Sure it can be nice to have I guess. But not a deal breaker. I dont wheel alone, I am always with a group. But I guess if you are alone exploring around a camera can help. But there is no way that tiny ass camera can capture the terrain angles and such properly. No way.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chill my man. I do offroad.

Maybe we offroad with different people. I dont do trails with people on nissan frontiers cause theyd get pretty bad body damage.
Mea culpa, you're right, I apologize. I should have just said you probably don't have experience with the front camera advantage.

I dont do trails with people on nissan frontiers cause theyd get pretty bad body damage.
Me neither anymore

Jeep Wrangler JL Possible to add off-road camera? monm-20-22 - Copy

I used an expert spotter at least 8 time crawling here.

Nobody is using cameras when we go offroad.
Try it, you'll be amazed. Don't you use it backing up?

I dont know how people have been doing the Rubicon trail and going to Utah without cameras for decades.

My point being. You dont need a camera. You just dont.
ppl did rubicon/Moab on 33's w/o lockers too. You don't need bigger tires, beadlocks, armor, a winch, or lockers either. But all have significant advantages.

Sure it can be nice to have I guess. But not a deal breaker. I dont wheel alone, I am always with a group. But I guess if you are alone exploring around a camera can help.
It is for me, I'm selling my JLR and getting a new one with the camera.

I wheel in a group 95% of the time, and my crap camera more of an advantage in group ride because we do more difficult trails.

But there is no way that tiny ass camera can capture the terrain angles and such properly. No way.
Said the guy who's never used one.

Nobody is using cameras when we go offroad.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Reactions: J0E

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
OP
OP
ek1

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
That is an awesome writeup and should answer pretty much all of @ek1 's questions.
Thank you! I actually spent like 20 min searching but did not come across that thread.

So "only" 13 parts ($818.01 total) to get this installed, plus 3-4 hours of labor end to end. My question has been answered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ek1

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
Actually read the entire post and it's exactly what I suspected - the wiring harness on the vehicle is specific to the off-road cam option. One has to be very, very desperate and have a lot of spare time + money on their hands to embark on this project.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Actually read the entire post and it's exactly what I suspected - the wiring harness on the vehicle is specific to the off-road cam option. One has to be very, very desperate and have a lot of spare time + money on their hands to embark on this project.
It's a bummer because the aftermarket option sucks by comparison. Its like 480i resolution and more of a novelty than anything. Maybe as the platform matures a bit someone will come out with a way to go aftermarket with higher res or a way to retrofit the factory stuff without the special body harness.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thank you! I actually spent like 20 min searching but did not come across that thread.

So "only" 13 parts ($818.01 total) to get this installed, plus 3-4 hours of labor end to end. My question has been answered.
But at least you have that option. You can find someone to do the entire job for less than $4,000. With the small screen I have, it's $15K to get front camera. It's cheaper to sell your rig and order one with the camera, so that's what I'm doing.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I have the front cam. It is nice on steep stuff and wife really likes it. Didnt think I would use it as much as I do.
I just got back from EJS in Moab and a front off road camera would have made many steep climbs much easier when cresting as some you have zero idea what is over the top or you have to be within 6 inches of where you are supposed to be. Sometimes we were climbing some items that were so steep we lost sight of the spotter
Sponsored